Sharing files and printers on home network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. I have a desktop PC connected to a BT 1800 HG hub running Windows XP Pro with
    Norton Internet Security suite and my other computer is a laptop with a BT
    wireless network card running Windows XP Home with ZoneAlarm installed.

    I've set up a network between the two computers and I can see them when I
    click on My Network Places and then go into View Workgroup Computers. I've
    also set up a small network using the Windows Utility. I've also tested the
    connection between the two by going into 'run' typing 'cmd' and using the
    'ping' test.

    I've turned the firewalls on and off on both computers and also configured
    both ZoneAlarm and Norton with I.P ranges for both computers as advised by BT.

    However, when I double click on the either computer in 'View Workgroup
    Computer' so I can see what files and printers are shared, I get the
    following error message:

    \\Rob is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have
    access permissions. Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the
    requested logon type at this computer.

    I've spoken to the BT home networking service and they advised me to
    uninstall Windows Service Pack 2 as this could be the problem. I did this on
    the laptop by using the add/remove program utility, but this caused massive
    problems and I had to use System Restore to get things right again. BT also
    said that it could be either ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security stopping
    access even though I've configured both to share files over a network and put
    the respective I.P address in their 'Trusted Zone'.

    I'm completely at a dead end. If anyone can help or has got similar
    problems, please let me know.

    Thanks for any help in advance.
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=, Jun 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

    Malke Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > I have a desktop PC connected to a BT 1800 HG hub running Windows XP
    > Pro with Norton Internet Security suite and my other computer is a
    > laptop with a BT wireless network card running Windows XP Home with
    > ZoneAlarm installed.
    >
    > I've set up a network between the two computers and I can see them
    > when I
    > click on My Network Places and then go into View Workgroup Computers.
    > I've
    > also set up a small network using the Windows Utility. I've also
    > tested the connection between the two by going into 'run' typing 'cmd'
    > and using the 'ping' test.
    >
    > I've turned the firewalls on and off on both computers and also
    > configured both ZoneAlarm and Norton with I.P ranges for both
    > computers as advised by BT.
    >
    > However, when I double click on the either computer in 'View Workgroup
    > Computer' so I can see what files and printers are shared, I get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > \\Rob is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network
    > resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you
    > have
    > access permissions. Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the
    > requested logon type at this computer.
    >
    > I've spoken to the BT home networking service and they advised me to
    > uninstall Windows Service Pack 2 as this could be the problem. I did
    > this on the laptop by using the add/remove program utility, but this
    > caused massive
    > problems and I had to use System Restore to get things right again.
    > BT also said that it could be either ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet
    > Security stopping access even though I've configured both to share
    > files over a network and put the respective I.P address in their
    > 'Trusted Zone'.
    >
    > I'm completely at a dead end. If anyone can help or has got similar
    > problems, please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance.

    This sounds like a firewall issue to me. From your post, it is possible
    that you have three different firewalls running - NIS, ZA, and the
    Windows Firewall that is automatically enabled with SP2. You only want
    *one* firewall running. Pick one and configure it correctly. If you
    have NIS, then uninstall ZA because you need the antivirus protection
    provided by NAV (included in NIS). Go to ZA's website and follow the
    directions how to uninstall the program exactly.

    The recommendation from BT tech support to uninstall SP2 was completely
    bad.

    Here is an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
    Take the time to go through it carefully - it will pinpoint the problem
    area(s):

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --