    case of setting the allowed ip addresses in the firewall software?

    Thanks

    Ben R

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIC4gUg==?=, Mar 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIC4gUg==?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:05:02 -0800, "Ben . R" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have a belkin G wireless network with one PC running xp pro and 1 laptop
    >running xp home. Both machines can share the broadband connection, but i
    >can't seem to share files or printers. They both have a mcafee firewall but
    >i had problems before the firewalls were installed. Now i can't ping the
    >computers which i read in another post is probably the firewall. Does
    >anybody know how to configure the firewall to allow access. Is it just a
    >case of setting the allowed ip addresses in the firewall software?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Ben R

    Ben,

    From what I can tell, it's just adding the computers (by IP address, so you need
    to use fixed ip addresses on your LAN) to the Trusted IP list (Trusted & Banned
    IPs icon). But there are also Application Permissions rules to check.

    You might get more expert help on this issue in comp.security.firewalls, or
    microsoft.public.security. You'll need a news reader, or web access to Google,
    to access these groups.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.security.firewalls
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security

    Provide ipconfig information for each computer, and we may be able to get you
    started.
    Start - Run - "cmd" - Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
    window. Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!, open
    file c:\ipconfig.txt, copy and paste entire contents into your next post.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Mar 7, 2005