    and the laptop is running Vista Home basic. It would seem to be a security
    issue but what do we need to do in order to allow communication between both
    computers instead of just one way traffic.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Jun 30, 2007

  2. It could be the permission issue. This post may help,

    "Destination Folder Access Denied"or 'CANCEL'....of course 'RETRY' just repeats the error window and 'CANCEL' removes the file that you have dropped into the destination folder. ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=923&sid=a3d696b906eac259111b3acf1964ac7e

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:...
    We have set a small home network whereby there is a desktop computer coupled
    to a wireless router. In addition we have a laptop which accesses the
    internet and a common printer via this router. All works well except we have
    on both a shared folder to permit the transfer of documents etc between them.
    The transfer works fine from the desktop to the laptop but when you try from
    the laptop, we receive the message 'Destination folder access denied, you
    need permission to perform this action.' The desktop uses Win XP Home edition

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Jun 30, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:54:01 -0700, Paul <> wrote:

    >We have set a small home network whereby there is a desktop computer coupled
    >to a wireless router. In addition we have a laptop which accesses the
    >internet and a common printer via this router. All works well except we have
    >on both a shared folder to permit the transfer of documents etc between them.
    >The transfer works fine from the desktop to the laptop but when you try from
    >the laptop, we receive the message 'Destination folder access denied, you
    >need permission to perform this action.' The desktop uses Win XP Home edition
    >and the laptop is running Vista Home basic. It would seem to be a security
    >issue but what do we need to do in order to allow communication between both
    >computers instead of just one way traffic.

    Paul,

    If the desktop is running XP Home, make sure that the destination folder is
    accessible to the Guest account.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest

    And make sure that the Guest account is properly activated for network access.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate

    And make sure that both computers are properly setup to communicate with each
    other.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Hi
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 1, 2007
  5. Thank you but I find all of the references given very confusing and have not
    go to the bottom of it as yet. I have a feeling it is to do with permissions
    on the Vista laptop but even that subject is not that easy to comprehend. We
    have the two computers connected and they both have the same workgroup name.
    This by way of example is what is happening:

    On the desktop is a folder called sharing and we have on the laptop one
    called System sharing. I can take say a document on the desktop computer,
    copy it to the sharing folder and it will pop up as it should on the laptop.
    Now on the laptop if I then bring that transferred file up and try to delete
    it, a message 'Destination folder access denied' along with 'You need
    permission to perform this action' appears. So what in simple terms do I need
    to do so as to allow permission to be set on the laptop to get this to
    function?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Jul 1, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:38:00 -0700, Paul <> wrote:

    >"Chuck" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:54:01 -0700, Paul <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >We have set a small home network whereby there is a desktop computer coupled
    >> >to a wireless router. In addition we have a laptop which accesses the
    >> >internet and a common printer via this router. All works well except we have
    >> >on both a shared folder to permit the transfer of documents etc between them.
    >> >The transfer works fine from the desktop to the laptop but when you try from
    >> >the laptop, we receive the message 'Destination folder access denied, you
    >> >need permission to perform this action.' The desktop uses Win XP Home edition
    >> >and the laptop is running Vista Home basic. It would seem to be a security
    >> >issue but what do we need to do in order to allow communication between both
    >> >computers instead of just one way traffic.

    >> Paul,
    >>
    >> If the desktop is running XP Home, make sure that the destination folder is
    >> accessible to the Guest account.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest
    >>
    >> And make sure that the Guest account is properly activated for network access.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate
    >>
    >> And make sure that both computers are properly setup to communicate with each
    >> other.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

    >Thank you but I find all of the references given very confusing and have not
    >go to the bottom of it as yet. I have a feeling it is to do with permissions
    >on the Vista laptop but even that subject is not that easy to comprehend. We
    >have the two computers connected and they both have the same workgroup name.
    >This by way of example is what is happening:
    >
    >On the desktop is a folder called sharing and we have on the laptop one
    >called System sharing. I can take say a document on the desktop computer,
    >copy it to the sharing folder and it will pop up as it should on the laptop.
    >Now on the laptop if I then bring that transferred file up and try to delete
    >it, a message 'Destination folder access denied' along with 'You need
    >permission to perform this action' appears. So what in simple terms do I need
    >to do so as to allow permission to be set on the laptop to get this to
    >function?

    If the folder is properly shared, and if the folder is accessible to the Guest
    account, you'll have to activate the Guest account.

    If the folder isn't properly shared, then you'll have to share it properly.

    So start by telling us the complete and exact path of this mysterious sharing
    folder. Don't make us guess, and we won't make you read (as much).

    Chuck, Jul 1, 2007