    :eek:( All that's available for now is dial up, so I'm trying to make the
    best of the situation and at least have wireless internet on my laptop.
    Thanks!

    Guest, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Guest

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:cCmPd.400$...
    |I have a desktop w/ both a 56k modem and 10/100 nic, I have a laptop w/
    | wireless, i have a d-link DI-514 router. My question is, can I share the
    | dial up from the desktop via my wireless router so I can have wireless
    | internet on my laptop? If so, how?
    |
    | And for all those wondering, and I know there are a few, here's why I'm
    | asking... I moved to an area that DOES NOT have high speed available AT
    ALL!
    | :eek:( All that's available for now is dial up, so I'm trying to make the
    | best of the situation and at least have wireless internet on my laptop.
    | Thanks!

    It's called "Internet Connection Sharing" (ICS). Yes, it works with dial-up.
    And as long as the wireless is working, it doesn't matter whether you have
    high-speed or dial-up Internet service.

    You can get setup details for ICS here:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Guest

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay - sorry I didn't get back on this sooner...I don't do HTML at home, so
    I checked it here at work (firewall, extra security, all that)

    What that message is telling you is this:

    In order to use one PC to provide ICS to another, the PC with the Internet
    connection must configure itself at the IP address 192.168.0.1, but you
    already have a piece of equipment using that address. I'd put my money on it
    being your wireless router. Many routers allow you to change the IP address
    they are configured to use. So by changing your router to, say, 192.168.0.10
    you should clear up the collision.

    Check the manual for your router. You should be able to get to the
    configuration mode using an Internet browser, and typing 192.168.0.1 into
    the address bar. The manual should give you the login name and password.
    (While you're in the configuration mode, change the login and password, and
    write the new ones down in the manual.)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2005