Sharing dial-up via a wireless connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Greg, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I have a Dell Desktop. It has dial-up. I have a Dlink DI-525 wireless router
    connected to it via the Ethernet card installed in the desktop. I have a
    notebook with a wireless 802.11G card. As of last week I could use the
    internet connection sharing on the desktop to surf the web on the notebook.
    It would see my dial-up connection (ark.net dial up). But dumb me. I
    upgraded the firmware on the Dlink and now it won't see the dial-up anymore.
    It sees the desktop just fine. I have directories shared on the desktop and
    the notebook can see them. But on the notebook, instead of it saying ark.net
    dial-up in the network settings. It says internet connection. And when I
    open up that connection it shows the notebook going thru a gateway and then
    going to the internet. And, of course, no internet. I have the Dlinks DHCP
    enabled. I reset the ip address so it wouldn't conflict with the internet
    connection sharing assigned ip address (192.168.0.1) I believe the desktop
    acquires an ip address from the dlink as well. It is 192.168.100.1. And the
    notebook is 192.168.100.2 (per the settings on the DHCP). I have no idea why
    I am getting a network connection called internet something or other instead
    of the actual name of the internet dialup service. This happened the first
    time I set this up. For the life of me though, I can't remember what I did
    to fix it.

    Any suggestions? I would love to get high-speed. But they don't offer it
    here yet.So I'm stuck with dial-up

    Greg, Aug 4, 2005