    comparible driver for x64?

    Thanks,

    Curt.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=, Jul 1, 2005

  2. yes, you can share a printer from Win32 to Win x64, if you're running Windows
    Server 2003 SP1, or Windows XP SP2 for your other machine. However, it still
    requires an x64 compatible printer driver on the 32-bit machine.

    (To share a printer from Windows XP with additional drivers for other OS
    versions:

    1.) Start, Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer you want to share
    2.) Select Sharing.
    3.) Click Additional Drivers, check those you want to add, and have the
    necessary OS driver disks available.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 1, 2005

  3. I was not really sure that my question was answered, so I tried it. The
    answer is no. You cannot share a printer when there is no comparible driver
    for x64.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Curto wrote:
    > I was not really sure that my question was answered, so I tried it. The
    > answer is no. You cannot share a printer when there is no comparible driver
    > for x64.

    I agree for the standard setup, but I think there may still be a way to
    print on that printer remotely.

    The ghostscript project offers a postscript printer demon for windows.
    So you could print to postscript on the 64bit system, transfer that file
    to the printer server, and use the postscript printer demon there to
    print the file. With a suitable remote printing protocol (such as
    lp/lpr), you should be able to get a user experience very close to
    remote printing.

    But I have not tested this with XP x64.

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jul 2, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What printer are you using. There are a number of drivers on x64 that can
    get the basic functions of most printers working, without the sharing
    hassle.

    John Barnes, Jul 2, 2005
  6. I'd suggest a quick look at our blog on printers in x64. Most will work
    adequately, if not with complete functionality, with the drivers included in
    the OS. http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/18/54021.aspx

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 2, 2005
  7. My printer is a bit of an oddball, a QMS-Minolta 2300W Color Laser. If
    anyone know if a substitute drive will work with it I'd be very gratful.
    Please let me know...

    Thanks,

    Curt.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=, Jul 2, 2005
  8. Well, a quick look at the supported printers discloses a "Minolta-QMS
    magicolor 2200 (PS)" which I would wager is very close to yours. Note also,
    _as I pointed out in the blog_, a Postscript printer is easy, since almost
    any PS driver will work in at least minimal functionality. And I'm sure your
    QMS does Postscript, since they always have, I believe.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2005
  9. Hey Charlie - thanks for the response.

    I saw that drive myelf and tried it long ago without success. I've read
    throguh all of the tech specs, users manual etc, and there is not a single
    mention of the 2300W being proscript compatible. So I don't know what to
    make of that. Maybe there is a optional cartridge for PS support or
    something.

    Thanks,

    Curt

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  10. Well, if it isn't PS compatible, then it's probably using PCL. Again --
    you've got the manual, I don't. And, ultimately, it _is_ the risk of having
    an oddball printer. If QMS/Minolta still supports it, you should contact
    them. Or, if it supports cartridges -- plug a Postscript cartridge into it
    and stop worrying. There's a very good reason ALL my printers are postscript
    compatible -- not only is it platform independent, but it also produces the
    highest possible output quality. Not the fastest printing, and I usually use
    PCL for my day to day printing. But I wouldn't think of buying a printer that
    didn't have PS support. Especially since I'm so often running one or another
    beta operating system that still has limited drivers.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2005
  11. I agree with you 100%, having a standard interface is very desirable. I knew
    that there was some risk when I bought the printer, but the low cost on sale
    and with a rebate it was only $300 for a color laser. I'll try a PCL drive
    and see if that gets me anywhere. If worse come to worse I can e-bay the
    sucker and get something compatible :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydG8=?=, Jul 4, 2005
  12. Now that is a pleasure to hear. I admit, I'm a bit tired of folks who don't
    recognize the realities of the software and hardware world and seem to expect
    every possible printer/scanner/modem/whatever to be instantly supported or
    it's somehow MS's fault. You sound like an intelligent person - you bought a
    good printer at a real bargain of a price, but with an understanding of the
    risks involved. You've been hit by one of those risk factors. Rather than
    whining or yelling, you are working through the workarounds, but are prepared
    to offload the printer and go for another one.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 4, 2005