    backup of each, zipped on the new one?
    Thanks for any help.
    Joy

    Joy, Oct 30, 2004

  2. "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two
    >partitions,
    > one for os and programs and one for data.
    > Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so
    > that
    > when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

    If you each have your own login accounts you can just save in "My Documents"
    once you are logged in and it will save the data in your own isolated "My
    Documents" folder. This is usually in <root>\Documents and
    Settings\<username>\My Documents although you can change this so that it
    appears somewhere on your data partition if you wish.

    > Also, since I'm retiring two old computers with about 10gigs of data on
    > each, is it better to transfer the harddrives to the new pc or just put a
    > backup of each, zipped on the new one?

    It is entirely up to you. 10GB HDDs should be sufficiently fast that they
    will not appreciably slow down the new computer. If it was me I would just
    transfer the data.

    Andrew

    Andrew Bryson, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Andrew Bryson" <> wrote in message
    > "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two
    > >partitions,
    > > one for os and programs and one for data.
    > > Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so
    > > that
    > > when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

    > If you each have your own login accounts you can just save in "My

    Documents"
    > once you are logged in and it will save the data in your own isolated "My
    > Documents" folder. This is usually in <root>\Documents and
    > Settings\<username>\My Documents although you can change this so that it
    > appears somewhere on your data partition if you wish.

    All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I change
    that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I transfer My
    Doc to the other one or what?
    Thanks for your help

    Joy, Oct 30, 2004
  4. "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I
    > change
    > that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I transfer
    > My
    > Doc to the other one or what?

    Right-click on "My Documents", click on properties, click on Move... You
    should make sure that each user has permission to read and write the
    directories that you assign to them before doing this.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz

    Andrew Bryson, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Joy

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:06:21 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > "Andrew Bryson" <> wrote in message
    >> "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>>I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two
    >>>partitions,
    >>> one for os and programs and one for data.
    >>> Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so
    >>> that
    >>> when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

    >> If you each have your own login accounts you can just save in "My

    > Documents"
    >> once you are logged in and it will save the data in your own isolated "My
    >> Documents" folder. This is usually in <root>\Documents and
    >> Settings\<username>\My Documents although you can change this so that it
    >> appears somewhere on your data partition if you wish.

    > All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I change
    > that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I transfer My
    > Doc to the other one or what?
    > Thanks for your help

    You will need to copy the "Documents and settings" folder to the other
    drive, and change this registry key to reflect the changes, then delete the
    original files:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

    -[Myth]-, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Joy

    > "Joy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I
    > > change
    > > that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I

    transfer
    > > My
    > > Doc to the other one or what?

    > Right-click on "My Documents", click on properties, click on Move... You
    > should make sure that each user has permission to read and write the
    > directories that you assign to them before doing this.

    I did the following, is that right?
    I created two new folders in the date partition E drive, HIS and HERS whilst
    logged on as admin and set these to read and write. I logged on as user in
    each and set them there to read and write. Whilst in there, I moved each of
    them to the new folder location using your above instructions so that the My
    Doc data will be kept there. I can still see data when in either, so they
    are not private, what did I do wrong there?

    Also, the media files are kept in the media folder in c drive, I need to
    move these to e drive and allow both of us to access them, but it seems I
    don't understand the 'shared' bit yet.
    Joy

    Joy, Oct 31, 2004
  7. Joy

    Bok Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > I did the following, is that right?
    > I created two new folders in the date partition E drive, HIS and HERS whilst
    > logged on as admin and set these to read and write. I logged on as user in
    > each and set them there to read and write. Whilst in there, I moved each of
    > them to the new folder location using your above instructions so that the My
    > Doc data will be kept there. I can still see data when in either, so they
    > are not private, what did I do wrong there?

    Are you both adminstrators? If yes, then you can't really hide files
    from one another, since an adminstrator can take ownership of folders
    and files. If you want to restrict access to a folder for non
    administrators, right click on the folder, select properties and go
    security tab. Remove users and groups that you don't want to access the
    folder and contents. Check permissions are as required.

    > Also, the media files are kept in the media folder in c drive, I need to
    > move these to e drive and allow both of us to access them, but it seems I
    > don't understand the 'shared' bit yet.

    There is a default 'Shared Documents' folder, which just points to the
    'My documents' folder in the 'All Users' profile.

    If you want to share a different folder on the e: drive, select the
    folder and go to the security tab, then add the group Everyone.

    HTH,,,,

    Bok, Oct 31, 2004
  8. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:12:32 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > I have to share my new one with hubby.

    Congratulations! Also he should share. ;-)

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  9. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:25:14 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > I created two new folders in the date partition E drive, HIS and HERS whilst
    > logged on as admin and set these to read and write. I logged on as user in
    > each and set them there to read and write. Whilst in there, I moved each of
    > them to the new folder location using your above instructions so that the My
    > Doc data will be kept there. I can still see data when in either, so they
    > are not private, what did I do wrong there?

    hi, it is Ms Penguin here. May I suggest you take a basic course in file
    permissions as it seems that MS has gotten this idea on board.

    There are three groups, user, group, and the rest of the world (everyone
    else). Group is a group of people eg the bean accounters in a business.
    User is the owner of the file/directory.

    the admin, i use the term root, is almighty. Her demands are met without
    question.

    Waht you want is for the user to be able to read, and write to the files
    yes? (Note I have left exectuation out of this) Having, as admin given
    write and read access to the said files. Ask the owner to log in and get
    tuff and make them read them to no one else.

    Or is MS still to get to grips with chown?

    Off to catch some fish.

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Joy

    Joy Guest

    Thanks for all your help. I feel as though I'm getting it and it's really
    not so difficult when you help like you do.

    This might make you laugh, I tried moving windows office suite to the shared
    folder and nothing worked so I put it back where I found it and everything
    worked again. It took me an hour to find I could just copy the shortcut to
    the various users and hey presto, we each have office suite.

    I'm so happy.
    Joy

    Joy, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Joy

    Bok Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > hi, it is Ms Penguin here. May I suggest you take a basic course in file
    > permissions as it seems that MS has gotten this idea on board.

    > There are three groups, user, group, and the rest of the world (everyone
    > else). Group is a group of people eg the bean accounters in a business.
    > User is the owner of the file/directory.

    Windows implements an ACL (Access Control List) model, which isn't
    limited to the 3 groups provided by the traditional *nix 9-bit security
    model. Cutter and co. brought this to the doze world from VMS back in NT
    3.0.

    ACL based security is also available on linux though [1]

    [1] http://www.suse.de/~agruen/acl/linux-acls/online/

    BTW - I use both linux and windows for different purposes.

    Bok, Oct 31, 2004
  12. Joy

    Bok Guest

    Joy wrote: