    own computer. If he wanted to, would he be able to find out what
    websites I visit or steal information from my hard disk? Thanks.
    , Aug 7, 2009

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My new roomate uses the same wireless router as I do. We both have our
    > own computer. If he wanted to, would he be able to find out what
    > websites I visit or steal information from my hard disk? Thanks.

    If he is a mere mortal, as is the vast majority of us, no.

    I have a wireless router and a workgroup in my house so we can share
    printers. I can only see folders on the other machines that are set as
    Shared. If you do not want to share files, simply do not set shared folders.
    Indeed, if you do not make a Workgroup, it does not matter because he will
    not have the permissions needed to view your files, but he will also not be
    able to use your printer. If you don't want him using your printer or
    sharing files, then you do not need to setup a workgroup. He can go through
    your router -- you should make it a secured device that requires a password,
    and give him the password -- to get to the 'net. If he's a hacker, he might
    be able to get past the router to your machine. I'm not a hacker, and I can
    not get into any of the machines on my network, except for the Shared
    Folders.
    Jeff Strickland, Aug 7, 2009

  3. gnu / linux Guest

    On Aug 6, 8:35 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > My new roomate uses the same wireless router as I do. We both have our
    > own computer. If he wanted to, would he be able to find out what
    > websites I visit or steal information from my hard disk? Thanks.

    locks keep honest people honest if he/she is GOOD yes most likely no
    gnu / linux, Aug 7, 2009