    wireless technology?
    Note: I have created a Firewall preventing others access to my P.C.
    , Aug 14, 2005

  2. Dave Guest

    if your bank uses a secure page then you are safe as everything is encrypted
    to and from them. if they don't use a secure page then you better get
    another bank!

    Dave, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Slightly better questions would be:

    1. Does your neighbor know you are 'sharing' his connection?

    2. What are the terms of your neighbor's contract with his ISP?

    Probably, Benjamin Smith III could help you:

    http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/2317

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 14, 2005
  4. Jack Guest

    Hi

    Firewall set correctly will help to prevent accessing you Hard drive.

    However Wireless is exposed to the capacity to Sniff and decipher the
    traffic beyond the Firewall.

    If WPA2 security measures are in place it is very hard to decipher but it is
    not full prove.

    Personally I would not do my banking even through my own Wireless
    connection, in your case your wireless security is in some one else hardware
    which makes it even more dangerous.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Aug 14, 2005
  5. David {MVP} Guest

    I would second Jacks thoughts on this, unless you are willing to give your
    neighbor your bank book to do your banking I would not do this myself. All
    traffic is going through his system, he would be in the perfect position to
    intercept all your transmissions, given time and a desire he could know
    everything you are doing online. Not to say he would, but he could.

    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    David {MVP}, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Dave Guest

    i repeat... if you are banking at a secure site then everything is encrypted
    with (hopefully) 128 bit ssl even over the wireless part of the path, so the
    neighbor couldn't snoop on that any more than he could if it were on a wire.
    if your bank doesn't have a secure site then get another bank!

    Dave, Aug 18, 2005
  7. David {MVP} Guest

    Precisely, and if the wire goes into the front of your neighbor house, and
    out the back of his house, what is to prevent him/her from cutting the wire,
    and running everything from the wire through his computer, before passing it
    out the back door? In this case that may very well be what he is doing. Ever
    hear of a man in the middle attack? Ever hear of a thing called a packet
    sniffer? You have radio waves going into your neighbor home, and they are
    coming out of his home on a wire. Some where in his home, they are being
    converted from a radio wave, to data on a wire. Anywhere in that process
    it's possible to put a packet sniffer, that is a simple fact. Is he running
    an unsecured network? If so not only is it possible for him to be doing it,
    it's possible that his network has been compromised by a third unknown party
    as well. Now I will grant you that it may indeed be unlikely that any of
    this is happening, but the question I heard was not how likely it would be,
    but is it possible. And yes Dave it is indeed possible.

    Want to read more? Check out http://www.ouah.org/coverstory20001218.html

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    MARA - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 18, 2005