Sharing a static IP address with D-Link G604T

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by tonganews@gmail.com, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Greetings

    We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    IP
    address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    wizard).

    I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    with
    DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).

    Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    servers or any internet server fails.

    If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    to the ADSL port?)

    Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I
    should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic
    configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where
    you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are
    there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in
    configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list -
    would really appreciate it!)

    Thank you very much!
    , Jan 27, 2007

  2. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > Greetings
    >
    > We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    > no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    > have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    > IP
    > address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    > wizard).
    >

    > I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    > with
    > DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    > 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >

    > Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    > is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    > addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    > automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    > servers or any internet server fails.
    >

    > If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    > address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    > connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    > G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    > to the ADSL port?)
    >

    > Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I
    > should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic
    > configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where
    > you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are
    > there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in
    > configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list -
    > would really appreciate it!)
    >

    > Thank you very much!

    You have have bamboozled yourself. Just set up the router-modem in the way
    the manual indicates, the simpler the better. They usually set themselves up
    automatically once you enter your id and password. That's all you should
    have to do. They will all share the internet connection.

    If you want to give one of your machines the static address for a reason (eg
    you run a server which needs a static address so that the outside world can
    find it), you can do that. (If you have no reason for doing that, don't
    bother.) The linkage will be to the unique MAC number of the NIC on that
    machine. That's all the static configuration means, so far as the
    modem-router is concerned.
    Otter, Jan 27, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    > no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    > have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    > IP
    > address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    > wizard).
    >

    > I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    > with
    > DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    > 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >

    > Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    > is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    > addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    > automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    > servers or any internet server fails.
    >

    > If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    > address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    > connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    > G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    > to the ADSL port?)

    As far as I can tell yes, you can only use the adsl port as the WAN connection.
    Equipment of this type generally runs the 4 ethernet ports on an internal
    switch which then connects to the router inside the box and on to the wider
    network. It sounds like you need a device with an ethernet port for the WAN
    rather than, or in addition to, the adsl port.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Enkidu Guest

    wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    > no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    > have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    > IP
    > address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    > wizard).
    >

    > I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    > with
    > DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    > 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >

    > Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    > is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    > addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    > automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    > servers or any internet server fails.
    >

    > If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    > address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    > connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    > G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    > to the ADSL port?)

    I'm assuming that you are connecting the direct connection to one of the
    ports on the G604T and the other PCs to other ports? Otherwise I don't
    see how you are connecting the direct connection at all!

    I don't believe that will work and additionally if it did the PCs will
    be exposed to whatever network you are connected to. Which won't be a
    problem except that the PCs will be broadcasting their IPs on that
    network! 8-(

    Think of the G604T as being an ADSL modem, a router and a switch in
    series. The switch comprises the four ethernet ports and all those ports
    are connected together. No routing happens between them. The router
    component routes stuff between the modem and the switch.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Pete Guest

    wrote:

    > no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.

    What you want to do isn't possible with the G604T. As another poster
    has pointed out, the G604T has a network switch, a router, and an ADSL
    modem inside, with no way of separating the functions.

    What you need is more or less the same thing, but without the ADSL modem
    built in.

    Peter
    Pete, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    > no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    > have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    > IP
    > address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    > wizard).
    >

    > I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    > with
    > DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    > 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >

    > Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    > is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    > addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    > automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    > servers or any internet server fails.
    >

    > If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    > address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    > connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    > G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    > to the ADSL port?)
    >

    > Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I
    > should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic
    > configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where
    > you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are
    > there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in
    > configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list -
    > would really appreciate it!)

    You shouldnt need to change any of the default settings, it should
    use the static IP automatically. Its logically the same as a dynamic
    IP that never changes.
    Rod Speed, Jan 28, 2007
  7. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    Rod Speed <> typed:
    > wrote:
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    >> no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    >> have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    >> IP
    >> address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    >> wizard).
    >>

    >> I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    >> with
    >> DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    >> 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >>

    >> Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    >> is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    >> addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    >> automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    >> servers or any internet server fails.
    >>

    >> If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    >> address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again.
    >> (the connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can
    >> the DLink G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to
    >> it connects to the ADSL port?)
    >>

    >> Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I
    >> should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic
    >> configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where
    >> you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are
    >> there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in
    >> configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list -
    >> would really appreciate it!)

    > You shouldnt need to change any of the default settings, it should
    > use the static IP automatically. Its logically the same as a dynamic
    > IP that never changes.

    What I said over 8 hours ago. Lucky for you I showed the way with neon
    lights.
    Otter, Jan 28, 2007
  8. Whatcher? Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    >> no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    >> have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    >> IP
    >> address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    >> wizard).
    >>

    >> I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    >> with
    >> DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    >> 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >>

    >> Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    >> is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    >> addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    >> automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    >> servers or any internet server fails.
    >>

    >> If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    >> address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    >> connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    >> G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    >> to the ADSL port?)
    >>

    >> Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I
    >> should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic
    >> configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where
    >> you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are
    >> there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in
    >> configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list -
    >> would really appreciate it!)

    > You shouldnt need to change any of the default settings, it should
    > use the static IP automatically. Its logically the same as a dynamic
    > IP that never changes.

    Sounds like he wants to uplink to me. Therefore he is trying to get data
    through an ethernet connection from somewhere else not mentioned and
    distribute it through the G604T to other computers attached to it.

    In this case the ethernet cable coming to the G604T should be coming from an
    uplink port at the other end, not the G604T.
    Whatcher?, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Whatcher? Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    >> no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T.
    >> have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my
    >> IP
    >> address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the
    >> wizard).
    >>

    >> I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses
    >> with
    >> DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns
    >> 10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).
    >>

    >> Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which
    >> is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP
    >> addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address
    >> automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS
    >> servers or any internet server fails.
    >>

    >> If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP
    >> address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again. (the
    >> connection provided to us is a normal ethernet cable --- can the DLink
    >> G604T only work as a router if the connection provided to it connects
    >> to the ADSL port?)
    >>

    >> Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I
    >> should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic
    >> configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where
    >> you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are
    >> there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in
    >> configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list -
    >> would really appreciate it!)

    > You shouldnt need to change any of the default settings, it should
    > use the static IP automatically. Its logically the same as a dynamic
    > IP that never changes.

    PS re uplink, this would explain his problem.

    Also just found this in case the OP thinks it may help. When you download
    it, do a search for UPLINK in it:

    http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/broadband/guide/DSL-G604T_Manual.pdf
    Whatcher?, Jan 28, 2007
  10. Blue Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:58:08 -0800, tonganews wrote:

    > We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with
    > no proxies or firewall),

    The "output", the bit you wish to connect to? is what? Ethernet? If so
    then all you need is a router for the PCs on the LAN.
    Blue, Jan 28, 2007
  11. Otter wrote:

    > What I said over 8 hours ago. Lucky for you I showed the way with neon
    > lights.

    Shame you missed the point tho'
    dilberts_left_nut, Jan 29, 2007