    selecting control panel, printers & faxes then sharing printer, I get the
    message "Printer settings could not be saved, operation could not be
    completed". What is occurring here and what is the fix? Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Mar 31, 2007

  2. "printer coupled to my desktop" How?
    --
    XP - WNP
    Today is the first day of the
    rest of your life.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=, Mar 31, 2007

  3. The printer is coupled by way of cable...not a USB but the older type which
    has a large plug into the desktop.

    (What in fact we are trying to do is to allow a laptop with a wireless
    capability to link via a router to our desktop and so utilise the printer.
    Whether the desktop requires additional hardware I am not sure but at present
    it connects to the internet by way of a wireless modem and a linksys router.
    The laptop can access the internet ok via the router, but I cannot get it
    linked so as to access the printer. )

    Thanks for your help!!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Apr 1, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Bob Lucas Guest

    I assume from your description that the printer is connected to a
    parallel port (LPT1 or LPT2) on your desktop. I have also assumed that
    the laptop is using Win XP (procedures may differ slightly, if the
    laptop is running an earlier version of Windows).

    Firstly, make sure that both computers have different "Names". Then,
    make sure they are both in the same Workgroup (such as MSHOME). If you
    change a computer name or workgroup name, you will need to re-boot.

    Then, you should open Control Panel on the desktop computer and run the
    network Setup wizard. This should enable file and printer sharing on
    the desktop.

    Now, switch on the printer.

    Open Control Panel on the laptop (the desktop and the router must also
    be running at the same time). Click on Printers and Faxes. Then click
    on "Add a Printer". Follow the wizard (to add a network printer).

    When you browse for the new computer, the wizard should find the printer
    that is attached to LPT1 on your desktop and hopefully, it will download
    the printer drivers automatically from your desktop to the laptop.
    Otherwise, you might need to install drivers on the laptop from the HP
    890C set-up CD.

    If all goes well, this will allow you to print from the laptop.

    Bob Lucas, Apr 1, 2007
  5. In addition to Bob Lucas' response, the below simplified steps may help.
    Host should be the desktop PC and Guest the laptop.
    Install the printer on the Host PC. Then using Control Panel>Network
    Setup Wizard, enable File & Printer Sharing and make sure you check the
    box to allow others to print to your printers. Next under Start>Settings>
    Printers, select the printer, check the box to share the printer and assign
    a name. Keep the name short, no blanks, something like Printer2.

    You should now be able to add the printer to your Guest PCs using Start>
    Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>Add Printer. Check the radio button
    "A network printer ..." and then either browse for the printer or enter its
    name (using \\PCName\PrinterName) and continue until finished. Ensure
    that the firewall on your XP PC is set to allow access to remote printers.
    If using XP's native firewall ensure that File and Printer Sharing is
    enabled and that the box with he same name is checked in the Firewall
    exceptions list. The PCName can be found at:

    Rightclick My Computer icon on desktop>Properties>Computer Name tab.
    It may look something like: "Home-66djksjcpv". Don't type the quotes.
    Click "Next" and it should install the printer on the Guest PC when
    it finds it.

    Note: You can follow the same procedure to get access to
    "Files" from one PC to the other.

    --
    XP - WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    =?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=, Apr 1, 2007
  6. I have tried all steps yet still cannot get the system to operate but I sure
    do appreciate the assistance.

    What we have here is the host computer (a desktop Dell Dimension 8300)
    running Win XP Home edition and this links to the internet via a wireless
    modem. To this computer is coupled the printer ( HP 890C ) by way of cable
    to the LPT1 port.

    I have bought my son a Compaq Presario V3000 laptop running Vista home basic
    which has wireless capability -(switched on)- and the aim was to link that
    into the main home computer - the Desktop- so as to be able to access the
    internet and share the printer etc. To form a small network in other words.

    We bought a linksys WRT 54G wireless router which is connected between the
    modem and the desktop and with phone assistance did manage to get the laptop
    linked through this to the internet.

    I am still though unable to get the printer sharing to operate. As you
    mention, I have run the network setup wizard numerous times on the desktop
    but at the end always get the message "Cannot complete the network setup
    wizard. An error occurred during the configuration of the network on the
    computer". What that error is I have no idea nor what to do or where to go to
    correct it. I have also used control panel, printers and faxes, selected the
    printer but when I click on share printer, I get a message "Printer settings
    could not be saved. Operation could not be completed".

    Any ideas on what is happening or what to do about it. I guess the easiest
    way is to get in a computer tech but its nice to learn and try to understand
    the method (s) yourself.

    My thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Apr 1, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Bob Lucas Guest

    I don't know whether you will experience compatibility problems, if you
    network the Compaq laptop running Vista with the Dell Dimension 8300
    running Win XP Home Edition. However, that is a separate issue.

    Your immediate problem is caused by the inability to run the networking
    wizard satisfactorilly on the Dell and/or to configure the printer
    properties for network sharing. The problem is almost certainly related
    to the Windows configuration and/or printer configuration on the Dell -
    as opposed to problems with the router or the laptop.

    You can test this theory, by switching on the desktop, laptop and
    router. If you have access to the internet from the laptop, you can
    safely assume that the laptop - router - internet connection is OK.

    Upon the assumption that the following Win XP feature is still included
    in Vista, open "My Network Places" on the laptop. Then, click on "View
    workgroup computers". The names of the laptop and the desktop should
    now appear. If the Dell is missing from the list of workgroup
    computers, this will provide added confirmation that the desktop has not
    been configured for networking.

    The following question is just a shot in the dark, and may be totally
    irrelevant - but are you logged onto the Dell computer as a user with
    Administrator privileges? If not, it might be worth logging off - and
    logging onto the Dell computer again as Administrator, before you run
    the wizard.

    My other observation relates to your Win XP licence. You own a Dell
    computer with Win XP pre-installed, so you probably have a Dell OEM
    version of the Windows XP operating system. If you contact Microsoft
    for technical support, Microsoft will tell you to contact Dell, who are
    responsible for providing hardware and software support.

    Have you approached Dell for advice?

    Bob Lucas, Apr 2, 2007
  8. We have finally got to the core of the problem and yes, you are quite
    right..it was the window configuration on the Dell that was the cause. So for
    anyone else that may be experiencing similar problems what we found was this:

    Go start, run, then type in services.msc which will bring up a long list of
    local services that are on the PC. Check down the list for server and ensure
    that it is enabled and started as it is a function which supports printer
    operation. In our case it had been disabled thus causing the printer sharing
    option to be inoperative. If you find it is disabled, double click server
    and in the startup type box select automatic and try start, apply and ok.
    Hopefully it will start and with that sorted, you should then be able to go
    ahead and get the printer share function going.

    The two computers are now working together well although there is a slight
    problem in that we have set up a shared folder on both:- Data entered into
    this folder on the XP Dell transfers directly to the Vista laptop just fine
    but when it comes to the reverse from the laptop we get a message 'permission
    denied'. So no doubt a Vista thing and I will have to look into exactly how
    that works.

    Many thanks again though for the assistance!!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Apr 2, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Bob Lucas Guest

    I'm not entirely sure whether you have been refused access from the Dell
    to the Shared Documents folder on the laptop - or vice versa.
    Furthermore, I am not familiar with the Vista operating system.
    However, upon the assumption that the networking characteristics are
    similar to Win XP, you may need to run a networking wizard on the
    laptop - to enable file sharing and configure the inbuilt firewall to
    trust the local network.

    Whichever computer is causing problems, I would also check firewall
    settings on both computers. If the computer is protected by a third
    party firewall (such as McAfee or Norton), you must ensure that it has
    been configured to trust the local network.

    As a first step, find out the IP range for the wireless router. Typical
    IP ranges might be 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.1.255 (for Linksys and many
    other brands) or 192.168.11.0 to 192.168.11.255 (for Buffalo and some
    other routers).

    You will probably discover the IP range for the router in the
    documentation. Otherwise, you can re-boot the laptop and/or the
    desktop. Then, with the network running, click on Start / Run - and
    type cmd - OK.

    At the command prompt, type ipconfig - and press Return. This should
    reveal the IP addresses used by
    a) the gateway or router (a typical value might be 192.168.1.1) and
    b) the computer (a typical value might be 192.168.1.2). Each
    computer on the network will show a different final digit.

    Exit from the command prompt.

    Configure all firewalls to trust addresses in the entire range of values
    (starting from 192.168.xx.0 and ending with 192.168.xx.255).

    Bob Lucas, Apr 3, 2007
  10. Could you tell me exactly how you go about setting those IP ranges into a
    firewall such as Norton which we use on the computers.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Apr 3, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Bob Lucas Guest

    I use McAfee, not Norton - so I can't send detailed instructions.
    However, I have copied the following info from the FAQs at the Symantec
    website at
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...571f700443500?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

    "Cannot access a program or file on a network after installing Norton
    Internet Security 2006.

    Add the internet address (IP) of the network computer to the Firewall
    Trusted list.

    1. Start Norton Internet Security.

    2. Click Personal Firewall, and then click Configure.

    3. Click Networking tab.

    4. Click Trusted tab, and then click Add...

    5. Click Individually.

    6. Type the internet address (IP address) of the network computer
    which you are trying to access.

    7. Click OK."

    The FAQ provides instructions for the addition of a single IP address to
    the trusted list. I suspect that if Norton is similar to McAfee, it
    will also allow you to add a range of addresses - as an alternative to a
    single address. Step 5 (above) may allow you to add the range of
    addresses.

    The FAQ deals with Norton Internet Security 2006. The procedure may
    differ, if you are using a later version. If so, search the knowledge
    base at
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/selectproduct_ts.jsp.
    Select the product name and search against "network". The instructions
    for Norton Internet Security 2007 are at
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.nsf/docid/2006101218201936?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

    Incidentally, if you have run the networking wizard on the laptop, the
    wizard may have enabled (and configured) the Windows (or Vista)
    firewall. You should never have two firewalls running simultaneously on
    a computer so if the Norton firewall is also active, turn off the
    Windows (or Vista) firewall.

    Bob Lucas, Apr 3, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Lem Guest

    printer networking

    Pau~

    Thanks so much for posting the services.msc info! It helped me, after many failed attempts, to finally get my laptop connected to my homeoffice printer.

    Thanks again!

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Lem, Apr 12, 2007
  13. RE: printer networking

    Thank You! Thank You! I have tried to solve this problem for 6 months or
    more. I got the smae error message and I have asked the World what it meant.
    I have had 50 different solutions, none of which worked. UNTIL NOW!!!! You
    have solved my problem Server was disabled. Finally I can print from computer
    to computer. By the way both my Desk top and Laptop are running XP. Desktop
    Home & Laptop Pro.
    Once again Thanks, You should definitely find a way to notify the 1000's who
    must have the dame problem.

    John in Nevada

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBpbiBOZXZhZGE=?=, Jul 7, 2007