    help me solve this issue? I would appreciate your wisdom, patience, and help.
    --
    Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Nov 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

    ISPgeek Guest

    First of all what make and model of printer and what interface does it use
    (USB, LPT)

    ISPgeek
    http://www.ISPgeeks.com

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new Toshiba laptop running XP Pro; it is running on a wireless
    > network and I have no problem getting on the internet from either the
    > laptop
    > or my desktop, a Dell Dimension running XP Home Edition. However, I have
    > been
    > unable to set up the sharing of the printer which is connected to my
    > desktop.
    > I get all the way through the Networking Wizard on the laptop until I try
    > find the shared printer; at that point I get a message entitled "Connect
    > Printer". The message is, "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either
    > the
    > printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its
    > connection to the server." I have been very careful in typing in the
    > correct
    > names I established for the shared printer and the host computer. On the
    > host
    > computer, looking at the printer icon and looking at its properties, it
    > shows
    > as being available to be shared.
    >
    > Since the printer is not directly coonected to the network, but is
    > connected
    > to the host computer, it was suggested that I use the following entry to
    > locate the printer:
    > \host computer name\\printer name -- that didn't work either. Can anyone
    > help me solve this issue? I would appreciate your wisdom, patience, and
    > help.
    > --
    > Don
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0649-2, 11/20/2006
    > Tested on: 11/24/2006 7:21:25 PM

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0649-2, 11/20/2006
    Tested on: 11/24/2006 7:23:05 PM

    ISPgeek, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Hi

    First, make sure that the printer is shareable.

    On the computer that has the printer click start and help type Share your
    printer and look at the Share your printer Task.

    Once the printer is shared, disable temporarily and firewall that you have,
    and be ready with the CD that includes the printer drivers.

    Log to each computer (the one without the printer) Click Start/Control
    Panel/Printers and Faxes. Click on Add printer and choose add a Network
    printer.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 25, 2006
  4. It's an HP 722C printer connected by serial cable to the desktop as LPT1.
    --
    Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Nov 25, 2006
  5. Thank you Jack. I have made the printer shareable and did what you suggested
    on the laptop; however, the Wizard could not find the printer. However, your
    suggestion about disabling the desktop firewall sounds promising - I hadn't
    thought of that. Will try it and let you know results.

    Can you tell me whether the printer being connected to the desktop, rather
    than directly on the network, contributes to the problem? As I mentioned, is
    it necessary to enter more than just the printer name in the wizard - like,
    \computer name\\printer name?
    --
    Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Nov 25, 2006
  6. Jack:
    I can't thank you enough. Your suggestion to disable the firewall solved my
    problem; I am now able to print over the network from my laptop. I had been
    working on this problem for two days, and getting nowhere until your
    suggestion. Thank you again
    --
    Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Nov 25, 2006