Sharing a monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tanel Kagan, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Hi there,

    I have two PCs, and I share the Keyboard and Mouse with a piece of software
    called Synergy. This aspect of it works fine.

    I can also share the monitor, using a box device with a swith on it which I
    can flick between one PC's input and the other.

    Thing is, this box is quite old, and I originally bought it when I was using
    a CRT monitor. Now, when I use it with my LCD, the output is a bit "fuzzy"
    and I lose sharpness. If it's merely a case of dipping in and carrying out
    a quick bit of housekeeping, then the box is ok, but if I'm going to be
    using the second PC for any period of time it is a strain on the eyes.

    The net result is that recently I gave up and resorted to physically
    unplugging the monitor's cable and connecting it to the other PC so I get a
    direct connection.

    Am I using the wrong technology here? Are there different switching boxes
    for LCD screens? Or will you inevitably get some signal degration when the
    PC output passes through an intermediate device?

    Thinking along the lines of audio signals, I know that analogue signals can
    lose quality as they pass through cables, but digital signals can maintain
    their integrity right up to the point at which they are decoded. Is there
    any analogy with video signals? Is there a device that will take two video
    inputs "digitally" and preserve their quality?

    Thanks in advance,

    Tanel.
    Tanel Kagan, Sep 14, 2007

  2. Tanel Kagan

    meerkat Guest

    "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have two PCs, and I share the Keyboard and Mouse with a piece of
    > software called Synergy. This aspect of it works fine.
    >
    > I can also share the monitor, using a box device with a swith on it which
    > I can flick between one PC's input and the other.
    >
    > Thing is, this box is quite old, and I originally bought it when I was
    > using a CRT monitor. Now, when I use it with my LCD, the output is a bit
    > "fuzzy" and I lose sharpness. If it's merely a case of dipping in and
    > carrying out a quick bit of housekeeping, then the box is ok, but if I'm
    > going to be using the second PC for any period of time it is a strain on
    > the eyes.
    >
    > The net result is that recently I gave up and resorted to physically
    > unplugging the monitor's cable and connecting it to the other PC so I get
    > a direct connection.
    >
    > Am I using the wrong technology here? Are there different switching boxes
    > for LCD screens? Or will you inevitably get some signal degration when
    > the PC output passes through an intermediate device?
    >
    > Thinking along the lines of audio signals, I know that analogue signals
    > can lose quality as they pass through cables, but digital signals can
    > maintain their integrity right up to the point at which they are decoded.
    > Is there any analogy with video signals? Is there a device that will take
    > two video inputs "digitally" and preserve their quality?

    Are both monitors set on the same resolution ?.
    meerkat, Sep 14, 2007

  3. Tanel Kagan

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tanel Kagan wrote:
    > Is there
    > a device that will take two video inputs "digitally" and preserve
    > their quality?

    Yes.

    My KVM is all one 'piece' and very small. The keyboard, video, mouse
    cables are molded to the central 'body' which is about 6x6x2 cm and out
    of sight under the desk. The switching is done by hitting a keyboard
    key twice. There is no video degradation.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 14, 2007
  4. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    > Are both monitors set on the same resolution ?.

    I only have one monitor, which is being shared. I think Mike has answered
    the question, but thanks anyway.

    Tanel.
    Tanel Kagan, Sep 14, 2007
  5. Tanel Kagan

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:07:37 +0100, "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have two PCs, and I share the Keyboard and Mouse with a piece of software
    >called Synergy. This aspect of it works fine.
    >
    >I can also share the monitor, using a box device with a swith on it which I
    >can flick between one PC's input and the other.
    >
    >Thing is, this box is quite old, and I originally bought it when I was using
    >a CRT monitor. Now, when I use it with my LCD, the output is a bit "fuzzy"

    The box make / model?

    The CRT resolution and frequency was?

    Compared to the LCD settings i.e. it's native mode may be fixed at
    1280x1024 60Hz?

    If the CRT way 1024x768 @ 75Hz there will be a difference. CRT worked
    across a range of freqyency settings and adjusted.

    It's assumed when changing to the LCD you set the correct native
    resolution and frequency in Display / Settings on the PCs..

    If you haven't adjusted the resolution, LCD may try to strech the
    1024x768 to fit the 1280x1024 this can look odd.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2005/all_about_monitors.asp

    >and I lose sharpness. If it's merely a case of dipping in and carrying out
    >a quick bit of housekeeping, then the box is ok, but if I'm going to be
    >using the second PC for any period of time it is a strain on the eyes.
    >
    >The net result is that recently I gave up and resorted to physically
    >unplugging the monitor's cable and connecting it to the other PC so I get a
    >direct connection.

    Usually the menu option on a LCD will tell you the resolution and
    frequency.

    >Am I using the wrong technology here? Are there different switching boxes
    >for LCD screens? Or will you inevitably get some signal degration when the

    Not as such unless you change the video connection from the HD15 pin
    analog VGA type to DVI type. Some may not work at the upto max
    resolution settings I had a belkin KVM and it didn't cope with the LCD
    1280x1024 lower was okay. My problem was solved when the 4th or 5th PC
    came with a DVI card and I went to using the dual inputs on the monitor.
    The KVM on the analog side and the 1 PC on the DVI-D.

    KVM switches, normally have a max resolution and frequency. Both these
    are VGA

    Belkin F1DS102T
    OmniView SOHO Series KVM Switch with Audio, PS/2, USB and VGA (2-port)
    upto 2048x1536 @ 85Hz

    Belkin F1DJ102P-B
    2-Port KVM Switch bundled with cables, PS/2
    upto1920x1440 @ 65Hz

    >PC output passes through an intermediate device?

    With poor quality cables, loose connections. Any distances 2-3m should
    be okay with average cables as long as a cable is wrapped around say
    another CRT monitor why may cause interference.

    There are higher grade shielded cables (7 15 and 30m) and other boxes
    like distance extenders (Belkin F1D088 Monitor Extender 60ish m)
    available.

    >Thinking along the lines of audio signals, I know that analogue signals can
    >lose quality as they pass through cables, but digital signals can maintain
    >their integrity right up to the point at which they are decoded. Is there

    Again up to a point.

    >any analogy with video signals? Is there a device that will take two video
    >inputs "digitally" and preserve their quality?

    Well if it's an old KVM switch you are most likely analog already the
    HD15 pin VGA type connector and it seems pointless for you to convert
    to digital then back to analog.

    Knowing more about the setup would help.

    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Tanel.

    Me
    why?, Sep 14, 2007
  6. "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have two PCs, and I share the Keyboard and Mouse with a
    > piece of software called Synergy. This aspect of it works
    > fine.
    >
    > I can also share the monitor, using a box device with a swith
    > on it which I can flick between one PC's input and the other.
    >
    > Thing is, this box is quite old, and I originally bought it
    > when I was using a CRT monitor. Now, when I use it with my
    > LCD, the output is a bit "fuzzy" and I lose sharpness. If
    > it's merely a case of dipping in and carrying out a quick bit
    > of housekeeping, then the box is ok, but if I'm going to be
    > using the second PC for any period of time it is a strain on
    > the eyes.

    It should work just like plugging the LCD directly in your
    computer. All the box does is switch, it doesn't (or shouldn't)
    process the signal.

    I'd disconnect everything and make sure all the connections are
    clean of dust, debris or corrosion.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Sleep is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.
    Christopher Jahn, Sep 14, 2007
  7. Tanel Kagan

    JANA Guest

    For your LCD monitor, the both computers will have to have a display card
    that can be of the exact same resolution and refresh rate.

    You should also update your KVM switch to an electronic one that was
    designed to work with wide video bandwidth monitors.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Sep 15, 2007