Sharing a monitor Part 2

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tanel Kagan, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Thanks to all for the advice given in "Sharing a monitor" (15.09.07).

    I now have my nice Newlink MicroKVM switch
    (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35450).

    I paid £20 at Maplin which was apparently half the price that they were up
    until quite recently. It works a treat and the signal quality is great for
    both machines.

    As a separate, but connected issue, I have been thinking of adding a second
    monitor.

    "Hold on a minute!" - I hear you cry. "The other day you were asking how to
    share one monitor with two PCs, and now you're going to add a second
    monitor? What's the point?".

    Well, what I really want to do is have my PC1 running on two monitors, to
    increase my workspace, and at the same time have the functionality to see
    what's going on on PC2.

    So I'm thinking of three options, but I'm not sure how feasible they are in
    practice:-

    1) I have two monitors running all the time, and when I switch from PC1
    to PC2 both monitors change so that PC2 now displays on both monitors.

    2) PC1 displays on both monitors, but when I switch to PC2 it displays
    only on Monitor 1.

    3) PC1 displays on both monitors, but I can switch Monitor 2 to PC2. I
    would need Synergy or similar software (I guess) to recognise when the mouse
    cursor is on monitor 1 (such that the PC1 is active) and when on monitor 2
    (so that PC2 is active). The advantage of this would be to have one monitor
    for each PC, increasing desktop space and making housekeeping easier, whilst
    also keeping the advantage of a single keyboard and mouse.

    Is there any way to achieve this? I'm thinking that maybe if a dual monitor
    setup requires 2 video outputs from each PC, then my simple KVM won't have
    enough inputs to handle this. Any advice in this regard?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tanel.

    Tanel Kagan, Sep 16, 2007

  2. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Tanel Kagan, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Tanel Kagan

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:07:55 +0100, "Tanel Kagan"
    <tanelkagan@(nospamthnx)hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks to all for the advice given in "Sharing a monitor" (15.09.07).

    <snip>

    >As a separate, but connected issue, I have been thinking of adding a second
    >monitor.
    >
    >"Hold on a minute!" - I hear you cry. "The other day you were asking how to
    >share one monitor with two PCs, and now you're going to add a second
    >monitor? What's the point?".
    >
    >Well, what I really want to do is have my PC1 running on two monitors, to
    >increase my workspace, and at the same time have the functionality to see

    This depends on the video memory and resolution of the card.

    It's also easy with a dual output video card that comes with the
    software.

    >what's going on on PC2.

    Mentioned before in 24HSHD

    Matrox DualHead 2Go
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/dh2go/home.php

    This will expand 1 PC screen on to 2. Again the resolution / memory
    issue. If you set your video resolution to 2560 x 1280 The Matrox box
    divides that into 2 x 1280 x 1024.

    As well as 3 way version,
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/

    >So I'm thinking of three options, but I'm not sure how feasible they are in
    >practice:-

    Getting complicated. You are trying to overthink the situation.

    >1) I have two monitors running all the time, and when I switch from PC1
    >to PC2 both monitors change so that PC2 now displays on both monitors.

    Nope, have the expanded desktop for PC1, and use part of that (say
    monitor 2) for the connection to PC2, This means you see both.

    >2) PC1 displays on both monitors, but when I switch to PC2 it displays
    >only on Monitor 1.

    With a monitor that has dual inputs analog and digital (as long as it
    has 2 inputs) you wire PC1 up and configure it for the dual monitor
    landscape, and use the other input from PC2. You then use the monitor
    selector to switch between inputs. Basically I do this at work. 1 PC has
    PS/2 KM the other USB. The KVM only switches the video and the monitor
    selector for 2 inputs, although the 2nd is from a Sun workstation.

    >3) PC1 displays on both monitors, but I can switch Monitor 2 to PC2. I
    >would need Synergy or similar software (I guess) to recognise when the mouse
    >cursor is on monitor 1 (such that the PC1 is active) and when on monitor 2
    >(so that PC2 is active). The advantage of this would be to have one monitor
    >for each PC, increasing desktop space and making housekeeping easier, whilst
    >also keeping the advantage of a single keyboard and mouse.

    I really, really prefer the simple method.

    1 PC dual monitors and remote control software for the machines in a
    different room. Local machines use the 2nd inputs on a monitor via a
    KVM. Okay it means 2 KM but I need that sometimes. However everything
    can be remote controlled anyway.

    You may find some combination of KVM / DualHead 2Go but you may not want
    to switch the signal into the 2Go via a KVM in case of signal quality
    issues.

    Have a look arounf the Matrox site for the manuals for the 2Go and see
    if there is anything there.

    >Is there any way to achieve this? I'm thinking that maybe if a dual monitor
    >setup requires 2 video outputs from each PC, then my simple KVM won't have
    >enough inputs to handle this. Any advice in this regard?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Tanel.

    Me

    why?, Sep 16, 2007
  4. Tanel Kagan

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:13:05 +0100, "Tanel Kagan"
    <tanelkagan@(nospamthnx)hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Just to add...
    >
    >Would one of these help?
    >
    >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=218645&doy=16m9
    >
    >If it allows an extra monitor to be attached via the USB port, then do we

    This is why I like the video cards with 2 outputs. If you have a older
    slowish PC you may be aware of too many USB devices affecting
    performance. I am not sure I would like to shove video through 1 of
    these.

    >avoid the issue of having too many VGA inputs for the KVM to handle?

    If you use this to get the dual monitor on 1 PC, that's the 1st thing
    you asked about.

    With this you may get away with this being your KVM switchable display.

    PC1 with monitor 1.

    PC1 with monitor 2 <- then KVM is either USB PC1 (expanded display) or
    PC2 (to see what's going on)

    This leaves you with 2 KVM inputs and not too many.

    You will always see PC1 and can switch between PC1 dual display and PC2
    on 1 monitor only.

    >Tanel.

    Me

    why?, Sep 16, 2007
  5. Tanel Kagan

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamthnx)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all for the advice given in "Sharing a monitor" (15.09.07).
    >
    > I now have my nice Newlink MicroKVM switch
    > (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35450).
    >
    > I paid £20 at Maplin which was apparently half the price that they were up
    > until quite recently. It works a treat and the signal quality is great
    > for both machines.
    >
    > As a separate, but connected issue, I have been thinking of adding a
    > second monitor.
    >
    > "Hold on a minute!" - I hear you cry. "The other day you were asking how
    > to share one monitor with two PCs, and now you're going to add a second
    > monitor? What's the point?".
    >
    > Well, what I really want to do is have my PC1 running on two monitors, to
    > increase my workspace, and at the same time have the functionality to see
    > what's going on on PC2.
    >
    > So I'm thinking of three options, but I'm not sure how feasible they are
    > in practice:-
    >
    > 1) I have two monitors running all the time, and when I switch from PC1
    > to PC2 both monitors change so that PC2 now displays on both monitors.
    >
    > 2) PC1 displays on both monitors, but when I switch to PC2 it displays
    > only on Monitor 1.
    >
    > 3) PC1 displays on both monitors, but I can switch Monitor 2 to PC2. I
    > would need Synergy or similar software (I guess) to recognise when the
    > mouse cursor is on monitor 1 (such that the PC1 is active) and when on
    > monitor 2 (so that PC2 is active). The advantage of this would be to have
    > one monitor for each PC, increasing desktop space and making housekeeping
    > easier, whilst also keeping the advantage of a single keyboard and mouse.
    >
    > Is there any way to achieve this? I'm thinking that maybe if a dual
    > monitor setup requires 2 video outputs from each PC, then my simple KVM
    > won't have enough inputs to handle this. Any advice in this regard?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Tanel.

    Heaps of them out there, ever tried 'Goggle'?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=dual...t:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 17, 2007
  6. Tanel Kagan

    JANA Guest

    If you want to have a true dual monitor set-up for each PC, and you want a
    dual monitor work station that can share, you will need a dual KVM switch.

    Remember, that when using any KVM switch there will be a loss of resolution
    to the output. This is normal, unless you want to spend a lot of money and
    build up a system that is dedicated for this.

    Personaly, I would increase my work space and have separate monitors for
    each computer. In fact, this is what we do at our installations. We only
    use a KVM switch where any resolution losses are not an issue.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Sep 17, 2007
  7. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Tanel Kagan, Sep 17, 2007
  8. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    For now, thanks for all the advice. It'll take a while for me to digest
    this and I might need to pop back!

    Tanel.

    Tanel Kagan, Sep 17, 2007
  9. Tanel Kagan

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Heaps of them out there, ever tried 'Goggle'?
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=dual...t:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

    > No - never tried Goggle. :)
    >
    > I have tried Google a few times though, and it's not so much about finding
    > a bit of gear, it's about how to set it up.
    >
    > Tanel.

    Tanel

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&q=setup dual monitors

    The KVM connects between the two PC's exactly the same but with an
    additional VGA or DVI lead.

    OTOH and if you want the ultimate in flexibility look at the idea used here
    http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/...setup-with-dual-monitor-laptop-linux-windows/
    with software from here
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=59275&release_id=300224
    Userguide here
    http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/running.html
    Or here
    http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/09/how-to-share-your-keyboard-and-mouse-in-realtime-with-synergy/

    Note the above were all from Google searches, the 'trick' with Google is to
    ask the right question.
    If you are not getting the answer you want change the question.

    P.

    PeeCee, Sep 18, 2007