    e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if we were sharing a DSL/Cable
    connection.

    Thanks!!!!!
    Bad Little Kyle, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Bad Little Kyle

    Kraftee Guest

    Bad Little Kyle wrote:
    > Is there a way for two computers to share a dial-up connection?

    Both
    > have modems, only one has an Ethernet card. But we want to have

    both
    > PCs capable to be on the same phoneline at the same time and capable
    > of looking at different pages on the Internet at the same time, or
    > accessing different e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if
    > we were sharing a DSL/Cable connection.
    >
    > Thanks!!!!!

    You can not use 2 modems (analogue or DSL) on the same line, at the
    same time. You will require sometype of networking solution, either
    by using one machine as a server & then sharing the connection or via
    a router.

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Bad Little Kyle

    WCH Guest

    Some time ago I used an application called SyGate to do something like that.
    You have to have the two computers connected, of course, which means some
    sort of networking, but that's not necessarily a big deal and has other
    benefits (sharing a printer, sharing files, etc). Once you have your
    computers networked just install SyGate (or something similar, easy to find
    via Google), set up the computer with the modem as the "server" and the
    other one as the "client" and configure internet sharing (procedures will
    vary by product). You know your browsing will be slow, right? Still, at
    least that way both computers can be on-line at the same time.

    WCH, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Bad Little Kyle

    ilmc Guest

    Bad Little Kyle typed:
    > Is there a way for two computers to share a dial-up connection? Both
    > have modems, only one has an Ethernet card. But we want to have both
    > PCs capable to be on the same phoneline at the same time and capable
    > of looking at different pages on the Internet at the same time, or
    > accessing different e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if
    > we were sharing a DSL/Cable connection.
    >
    > Thanks!!!!!

    Yes. Many ways. Maybe the easiest/cheapest is to add a network card the
    the machine that is missing one (£10-£15), connect the two machines with a
    cross-over cable, and run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of them.
    Disconnect the other from the phone line. The one left on the phone line
    will have to be powered up for 'tother one to use the internet.
    Other ways cost more :
    - network card + NAT router/modem combo
    - network card + RS232 NAT router + external modem.

    .... and if the other machine is into Kazaa, everything goes sooo slooowly
    ilmc, Aug 15, 2003