Sharing 32-bit printer drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Spyros Ioakim, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Does anyone know how to share a 32-bit driver on a Win2k3 X64 server?

    For example to share a HP Laserjet 4, you install the 64-bit part and then
    go into additional driver and select x86 and you can provide the x64 driver
    (this driver is available for x64+x86)

    What happens if 64-bit driver is not available? Is there a way to use a
    "dummy" 64-bit driver and then add the x86 driver?

    There is no need currently to print from 64-bit workstations as all of them
    are 32-bit, but the server is a 64-bit cluster.

    Currently I can't share: Designjet 1055cm, Designjet 4000ps, Designjet
    5500ps, Laserjet 5500, Laserjet 9500, Laserjet 4650,Laserjet 9000 as hp
    doesn't provide 64-bit drivers and are not included in x64.

    By the way... I installed Laserjet 4600 x64 driver and then provided the inf
    file for Laserjet 4650 x86 but doesn't work. It requires the 4600 x86 driver
    (while I have 4650). Maybe this is a hint for an easy-hack to have dummy x64
    drivers?

    Also a note to hp: IA64 and x64 are different things! No the drivers for
    IA64 don't work on x64!!!

    Thank you
    Spyros Ioakim, Jul 6, 2005

  2. You need to use the same driver for both the x86 and x64 versions of the
    shared printer. The underlying driver is x64, since this is an x64 computer.
    So, if you don't have a driver for your 4650, and are using the 4600 driver,
    and it works, great. But it means when you go to share that printer to x86
    clients, you need to load a 4600 driver for them, since the underlying OS
    thinks it's talking to a 4600.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 6, 2005

  3. This is also what I understood.

    My question is if it is possible to go after I install the x64, 4600 driver
    in \\servername\print$ and change something so that the printer becomes
    "4650".

    Maybe a GUID or inf file?

    Spyros

    Spyros Ioakim, Jul 7, 2005
  4. You could probably muck with the INF file, but what's the gain? I'd much
    rather just use it as is, and use a good description and printer share name
    to identify which printer it really is. Meanwhile, bug HP about adding it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2005