Shared printer problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bFRvbWxpbnNvbg==?=, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. I have a simple two PC Home network. Both PCs run Windows XP Home.
    The main PC is wired to a Linksys WRT54G Router and then to an Ntl Broadband
    modem. This computer has a Canon S520 printer connected by USB.
    The distant computer has a Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adapter
    From my distant computer I can:
    access the Internet
    see and access shared files
    see the shared printer
    do a nozzle check on the shared printer
    see the two workgroup computers
    It seems that all is well
    BUT if I try to use the distantant computer to print from Word, Excel,
    Explore, Wordpad, etc then I get an error message in each case.

    I am using DHCP automatic configuration, wireless SSID broadcast is
    disabled, Security is PSK/TCIP

    I have tried all sorts of things (too numerous to list) including
    downloading and installing the latest Canon s520 driver.

    PLEASE can anyone help

    P.S. I am a User with some (it is all relative I know) knowledge

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bFRvbWxpbnNvbg==?=, Jul 5, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bFRvbWxpbnNvbg==?=

    Frank Guest

    i imagine you have checked print permissions on the printer? A nozzle check
    is not printing. and accessing files and seeing the printer are also not
    printing permissions. Just a thought. The error message I am sure would help
    the people here help you also.
    Frank L

    Frank, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Thank you for the reply Frank

    I will try to post the error messages but cannot do so at the moment.

    In the meantime I have a problem with checking the printer permissions.
    Windows XP Home does not seem to give the security tag in Printer properties.
    I think it is something to do with the fact it uses "Simple file sharing". I
    am therefore unable to do anything about setting printer permissions until
    someone enlightens me how to do it!

    Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies

    Paul Tomlinson

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bFRvbWxpbnNvbg==?=, Jul 10, 2005
  4. These are the error messages I get:

    Word – Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.
    Try one of the following 1) Check the printer by printing a test page from
    Windows 2) Make sure the printer is turned on and online 3) Reinstall the
    printer driver

    Excel – Your file could not be printed due to an error on \\Study\Canons520
    on Ne02. There are several possible reasons 1) There might not be enough
    memory available. Try closing files and programs you are not using 2) If you
    use a network for printing there may be a problem with the network connection
    or the printer driver 3) There may be loose cables or a bad connection
    between your computer nad printer

    Internet Explorer – An error has occurred on the script on this page Line
    1774, Char 1, Error Unspecified, Code 0, URL
    res//C\Windows\system32\shdocl.dll/preview.dlg

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bFRvbWxpbnNvbg==?=, Jul 11, 2005