    online that I can further my understanding about permissions & shared
    folders? How important is this for a MCDST?
    Thanks in advance

    Gloria, Apr 3, 2007

  2. Gloria

    RemoteShark Guest

    I had the same problem when I first started. I found out that actually
    setting up 2 computers and setting Share & NTFS permissions to be a great
    help. Learning by doing.

    I also found out that CBTnuggets.com videos were very good too and they take
    you through a similar situation of share, advanced share, NTFS, file and
    folder permissions. Pretty much the basics in a funny and easy to listen &
    watch video, which also brought me to saying 'Ahhaa! now I get it' when I
    completed the video. Then I did a similar lab that was on the video and I
    understood it even more. Now I have a mental diagram of the Share/NTFS
    Permissions for the exam.

    Another good source is the ExamCram2 Book for 70-272 which also goes through
    it in more detail and I found some tips in many sources to build on the
    knowledge of Permissions.

    The questions on the test are not that difficult, once you keep at it. The
    first couple of times you go over it, may seem like Chinese, but stick with
    it. Leave it and come back to it, if it is bothering you. If you know someone
    who is in IT, maybe they can help or go over it with you. It is vital that
    you understand the basics of it, otherwise you will feel caught out on the
    exam. If you study the ones in the MS Press Book and MeasureUP Readiness
    Tests, you should have what is needed to pass. Just do what is asked, and you
    will be fine.

    I also found out that making notes of the material in your own words,
    diagrams helps also to figure out the root of it all.

    We will all love you here in the MCDST Newsgroup, for trying to stick with it.

    RemoteShark

    RemoteShark, Apr 3, 2007

  3. Gloria. I blogged this not too long ago, read
    http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom/mcdst_studies/index.html
    and let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
    CIW Certified Instructor

    http://www.yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

    CertGuard Member
    The Stronghold for Excellence in I.T. Certification
    http://www.certguard.com

    --

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    The Classroom Blog

    www.CertGuard.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 3, 2007
  4. Gloria

    catwalker63 Guest

    Gloria piffled away vaguely:

    > I'm studying for my MCDST. I'm using the self paced training kit written by
    > Walter Glenn & Tony Northrup. I am confused with the Table on page 5-49
    > Calculating Effective Permissions for Shared Folders. Is there a place
    > online that I can further my understanding about permissions & shared
    > folders? How important is this for a MCDST?
    > Thanks in advance

    Try it out and keep working at it and it will suddenly click. One way
    is to make two columns and label one NTFS and the other Share. Put the
    appropriate permissions for the user and each group they belong to in
    the appropriate column. For NTFS, the effective permission is the LEAST
    restrictive of all for the user and all of the groups unless there is an
    explicit deny, so write that down at the bottom of the column. Same for
    Share permissions. Now, look at the permissions at the bottom of each
    column and compare them. The effective permissions over the network are
    the MOST restrictive permissions between Share and NTFS.

    In practice, setup the share as open to all Authenticated Users for the
    Share permissions and then set your actual restrictions with NTFS.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Gloria

    BW64 Guest

    Hi catwalker

    I have a little understanding of the effective permission, deny, inheritance
    (parent and child folders etc). I will have to sit down and read over it so
    it can click in my brain some more. I understand that information that are
    in the IT books are like foreign language but once you sit down, relax
    yourself and open your mind you will get the concept. I'm finding out I must
    have patience with myself because I now I can't get this stuff overnight. I
    want to learn and know it so badly. So I can go and take the exam and pass
    it.
    --
    Bruce Wms

    BW64, Apr 5, 2007