    3. Is it the memory that is shared, or is it how the Motherboard handles the
    memory.

    -thanks

    CE, Dec 12, 2003

  2. CE

    Thor Guest

    "CE" <> wrote in message
    news:gTrCb.94862$...
    > I keep reading about this Shared Memory. I see alot of dell computers have
    > Shared memory and the computer had cheap prices. I was wondering...
    >
    > 1. Why is it different then regular memory

    This simply means that instead of the video processing circuitry having it's
    own dedicated high-speed memory, it must use the main system memory instead.
    This is slower, and removes some main memory from the operating system's
    access. For example, if you had 256MB of RAM, and the system has 16MB shared
    video memory, then there is only actually 240MB of RAM available for
    programs. 16MB is reserved for video use. The term "shared" is kind of a
    misnomer, because the memory really isn't "shared". The video system takes
    control of it, so the rest of the system cannot even use it. Usually, when
    you bring up the system properties in windows, the amount of RAM

    > 2. How will it perform

    Accessing system RAM is slower for video usage, so video performance is
    typically mediocre in comparison to video with dedicated RAM.

    > 3. Is it the memory that is shared, or is it how the Motherboard handles

    the
    > memory.

    The shared memory architecture is a function of the motherboard and it's
    chipset. While some boards give you some control over how much memory to
    assign to video functions, others give no options at all. It just depends on
    the system.

    Thor, Dec 12, 2003

  3. CE

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > you bring up the system properties in windows, the amount of RAM

    shown will only be what's available to windows to use.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2003
  4. CE

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > you bring up the system properties in windows, the amount of RAM

    > shown will only be what's available to windows to use.

    Thanks for finishing that. :)

    Thor, Dec 13, 2003
  5. CE

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > > you bring up the system properties in windows, the amount of RAM

    > > shown will only be what's available to windows to use.

    > Thanks for finishing that. :)

    darn spiders keeping warm on the motherboard

    Plato, Dec 13, 2003