shared HD plugged into router?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Jun 27, 2010.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    My current setup

    2 desktop pc's in Computer room connected to Asus Wl600g router via network
    cables. One PC has its own printer (other pc has no need to print) and yes I
    know I could plug the printer to the router usb easily.

    In kitchen, Laptop connected to the WL600g via Wireless (Sharing internet
    only)

    In kitchen, Brother multifunction printer/phone/fax/scanner with Wifi
    (Unused via wifi but cabled to the laptop)

    NEW Samsung tv in lounge with network socket (unused) awaiting Samsung USB
    wireless stick.TV supports 802.11n

    As the Wl600g has 2 USB sockets i was thinking easy just plug a usb Flash
    disk or USB external HD in and share them. But no! it only supports a USB
    printer (uneeded) or usb flash/hd via FTP which is dog slow 1.3-1.9 M/bs

    What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and plus
    backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD plugged into a
    new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

    Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged in USB
    devices in a better faster way?
    Craig Sutton, Jun 27, 2010

  2. Craig Sutton

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:31:18 +1200
    EMB <> wrote:

    > On 28/06/2010 12:12 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    > > What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and
    > > plus backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD
    > > plugged into a new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

    > Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.
    > >
    > > Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged
    > > in USB devices in a better faster way?

    > Not that I am aware of.

    Hi
    A D-Link DIR-825?
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

    Have a friend that has installed openwrt on it.
    http://openwrt.org/

    I have a Linksys NAS200, bit slow on the network side if the media
    server is running, but it serves up media to a Xbox360 without
    problems, plus has two external USB ports.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.12-0.7-default
    Malcolm, Jun 27, 2010

  3. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-06-27, Craig Sutton <> wrote:
    > My current setup
    >
    > 2 desktop pc's in Computer room connected to Asus Wl600g router via network
    > cables. One PC has its own printer (other pc has no need to print) and yes I
    > know I could plug the printer to the router usb easily.
    >
    > In kitchen, Laptop connected to the WL600g via Wireless (Sharing internet
    > only)
    >
    > In kitchen, Brother multifunction printer/phone/fax/scanner with Wifi
    > (Unused via wifi but cabled to the laptop)
    >
    > NEW Samsung tv in lounge with network socket (unused) awaiting Samsung USB
    > wireless stick.TV supports 802.11n
    >
    > As the Wl600g has 2 USB sockets i was thinking easy just plug a usb Flash
    > disk or USB external HD in and share them. But no! it only supports a USB
    > printer (uneeded) or usb flash/hd via FTP which is dog slow 1.3-1.9 M/bs
    >
    > What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and plus
    > backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD plugged into a
    > new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n
    >
    > Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged in USB
    > devices in a better faster way?

    Reading this, it seems to me that perhaps you need to step back and have a
    look at your network. Seems that its grown up ad hoc, which is how things
    work. But then this can onlygo on for so long.

    I agree with EMB. Get a NAS box.
    Gordon, Jun 29, 2010
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > On 28/06/2010 12:12 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and plus
    >> backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD plugged
    >> into a new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

    > Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.

    No because the current ASUS wifi does not do 802.11n which the tv supports.
    I doubt it will handle streaming HD very well
    Craig Sutton, Jun 29, 2010
  5. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:31:18 +1200
    > EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 28/06/2010 12:12 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> > What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and
    >> > plus backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD
    >> > plugged into a new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

    >> Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.
    >> >
    >> > Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged
    >> > in USB devices in a better faster way?

    >> Not that I am aware of.

    > Hi
    > A D-Link DIR-825?
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

    Looking into Dlink the 685 just got new firmware for DLNA support
    Craig Sutton, Jun 29, 2010
  6. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-07-03, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 30/06/2010 7:22 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.
    >>>>

    >> No because the current ASUS wifi does not do 802.11n which the tv
    >> supports. I doubt it will handle streaming HD very well

    > Then buy a standalone NAS and a new router.

    It a a case of Bugger! Get over it. Technology moves along. Mr Ed died long
    ago. (the talking horse
    Gordon, Jul 4, 2010