    But when I startup my laptop, the I can't find the folders I have
    selected to share. I can access the internet but can't find folders.
    What am I missing?

    JLunis, Mar 10, 2005

  2. JLunis

    kapil [MSFT] Guest

    You may find these link useful:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323420

    kapil [MSFT], Mar 10, 2005

  3. What OS are you using on your desktop PC and laptop? It would be different
    if you are using xp or 98, etc.
    Also take a look at this site of file sharing
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html for configurations and links.

    Yi

    Yi Chen [MSFT], Mar 10, 2005
  4. JLunis

    JLunis Guest

    kapil [MSFT] wrote:
    > You may find these link useful:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323420

    Thanks,
    Tried the first link. Got down to "1. Double-click My Computer on the
    desktop. 2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options. 3. Click the View
    tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" Problem
    is, I do not have a "Use Simple File Sharing" option. Now what?

    Tried the second link. Got down to "2. Right-click the folder that you
    want to share, (for example, Accounts Receivable), and then click
    Sharing and Security. 3. Click Share this folder. 4. Click Permissions.
    Problem - Don't have a 'Permissions' option. Now what?

    JLunis, Mar 11, 2005
  5. JLunis

    JLunis Guest

    Yi Chen [MSFT] wrote:
    > What OS are you using on your desktop PC and laptop? It would be different
    > if you are using xp or 98, etc.
    > Also take a look at this site of file sharing
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html for configurations and links.
    >

    > Yi
    >
    > "JLunis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I anticipate this being an easy question but this old guy can't find the
    >>answer.
    >>I have selected some folders on my desktop PC and checked "share folders."
    >>But when I startup my laptop, the I can't find the folders I have selected
    >>to share. I can access the internet but can't find folders. What am I
    >>missing?

    Both PC and laptop are XP home. Went to the link you provided. Found a
    'Troubleshooting' link. There, I found
    "Under 'Sessions,' you get a list of Users (and the name of their
    computers), which are currently connected via the network to your
    system." This screen is empty, even though my laptop is on. Does this
    indicate a setup problem on the laptop?

    JLunis, Mar 11, 2005
  6. JLunis

    kapil [MSFT] Guest

    This link here has information on file sharing for Windows XP home edition.
    For file sharing to work you essentially need to have a small network setup
    that includes your desktop and laptop. This article outlines this process
    and is divided into eight parts ( part 7 deals with file sharing). Here is
    the link.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814004 ( part 7)

    You can find links to the other parts in the reference section at the end of
    the article.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/default.mspx
    Customer chat event:
    Setting up Secure Infrastructure for Wireless Network (March 29, 2005,
    1:00 - 2:00 P.M. Pacific Time)
    Setting up a secure infrastructure for wireless network can be complex and
    challenging. Bring your questions and comments to the table and interact
    with experts from the Internet Authentication Service team to get them
    answered. Find out how you can use IAS as the RADIUS server to set up an
    802.1x network and how you can set up underlying systems like Certification
    Authority service, Active Directory and Group Policy.

    kapil [MSFT], Mar 11, 2005
  7. JLunis

    JLunis Guest

    kapil [MSFT] wrote:
    > This link here has information on file sharing for Windows XP home edition.
    > For file sharing to work you essentially need to have a small network setup
    > that includes your desktop and laptop. This article outlines this process
    > and is divided into eight parts ( part 7 deals with file sharing). Here is
    > the link.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814004 ( part 7)
    >
    > You can find links to the other parts in the reference section at the end of
    > the article.

    Thanks for the link. Quite in-depth.
    And I wonder if I have found a problem. On my laptop, when I go to
    Control Panel|Network connections, I see one network called "Wireless."
    When I click on this I see the network connection in blue.
    When I go to the PC's Control Panel|Network connections, I see one
    network called "Local Network." Nothing about wireless. But, when I
    click Wireless Network Setup Wizard" one option is "Add a device to
    "Home_Network." I can see nowhere on my PC to view available networks.
    Is this significant?

    JLunis, Mar 11, 2005
  8. JLunis

    kapil [MSFT] Guest

    You can try the following on both machines:
    1) Launch command prompt ( click Start > Run > type cmd and hit OK)
    2)Type the command -> ipconfig and then hit enter.
    3) You will get an ipaddress for your box ( it should not be starting with
    169 (169.xxx.xxx.xxx))
    4) Then try to ping your laptop from the desktop and vice versa ( you will
    need to enable ping in firewall or disable firewall temporarily )
    On the desktop machine bring up the command prompt and use the ping command
    as follows
    >ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -----> where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is you laptop

    ipaddress.

    On the laptop machine bring up the command prompt and use the ping command
    as follows
    >ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -----> where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is you desktop

    ipaddress.

    It you can ping successfully between the two machines then you have
    connectivity and can try accessing your share from the laptop by using the
    guide in the link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814004

    If ping fails then you need to resolve the connectivity issues before trying
    to access the share over the network.

    example of ping:
    C:\ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    Pinging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

    Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), ----> 0% loss means
    you have connectivity 100% loss means connection between the laptop and
    desktop is bad

    kapil [MSFT], Mar 11, 2005