Shared folder not working?! Please help!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bob, Apr 19, 2009.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

    Issue regarding wireless home networking. I set up a home network ensuring
    both computer's (two on the network) have the same workgroup name. Both
    computers appear on the network however the problems lies with one computer
    sharing files (the other is able to).

    The computer that files are not being shared can access the computer whose
    files can be shared. I am unsure what I have done wrong. To clear up what ive
    done:

    1. Set up wireless home network with both computer's using same network name.
    2. Shared folders on each computer, of which only one seems to work.

    Suspicion: On the computer whose not sharing, on 'My Network Places' the
    folder im attempting to share is being displayed in the 'Local Network'
    section rather than the 'Internet Section' where the other computers shared
    files are being displayed.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

    Bob.
    Bob, Apr 19, 2009

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks for the reply Frank.

    File sharing is at level 5 thus completely accessible on both computers.
    Login and password are identical.

    The error message I get is 'The network path could not be found'. It seems
    one computer is not detecting the other on the network.
    Bob, Apr 19, 2009

  3. Bob

    Gordon Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply Frank.
    >
    > File sharing is at level 5

    What do you mean by this?

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level
    Gordon, Apr 19, 2009
  4. Bob

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Apr 20, 2009
  5. Bob

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:36:01 -0700, Bob <> wrote:

    >Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    >
    >Issue regarding wireless home networking. I set up a home network ensuring
    >both computer's (two on the network) have the same workgroup name. Both
    >computers appear on the network however the problems lies with one computer
    >sharing files (the other is able to).
    >
    >The computer that files are not being shared can access the computer whose
    >files can be shared. I am unsure what I have done wrong. To clear up what ive
    >done:
    >
    >1. Set up wireless home network with both computer's using same network name.
    >2. Shared folders on each computer, of which only one seems to work.
    >
    >Suspicion: On the computer whose not sharing, on 'My Network Places' the
    >folder im attempting to share is being displayed in the 'Local Network'
    >section rather than the 'Internet Section' where the other computers shared
    >files are being displayed.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    >
    >Bob.

    Bob,

    The symptom of the local computers showing up in "Internet Section" rather than
    "Local Network" comes from a setting in the "Internet Options" wizard. Start by
    resolving this symptom.

    <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
    Chuck [MVP], Apr 21, 2009