Shared files stopped working

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by flocrest, Feb 2, 2009.

  1. flocrest

    flocrest Guest

    We have 4 systems (three laptops and another desktop) which share a network
    internet connection, files and printers back and forth through a desktop. The
    internet goes to a router and the router connects directly to the main
    desktop. The other machines connect to the router wirelessly. We have had no
    issues until the file and print sharing features of one laptop stopped
    working. The laptop is hooking up to the internet fine, but when I try to
    access shared files (or print) I get an error message: "folder is not
    accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    permissions. The network path was not found".

    All of the other systems can print on the network, share the files and
    access the net. All machines run Windows XP. The main computer uses media
    center, while the rest use XP home. The puzzling thing to me is that the
    sharing and print features on the one laptop just quit working, while the
    other units continue to work flawlessly. I do travel a lot with the unit I am
    having trouble with and wonder if I flicked a setting that is giving me
    grief. Another puzzle, every once in a while, for no reason, it shares and
    prints fine. I had it working once and set a restore point. When it stopped
    working again I went back to the restore point but it wouldn't work. Any help
    would be appreciated.
    flocrest, Feb 2, 2009

  2. It could be the 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean
    boot.

    Windows generalHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows
    Safe Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort
    programs in Start ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE