    that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    software?

    Chrick
    C, May 13, 2004

  2. C

    Darren Guest

    Just share the cd drive the copy a shortcut to their desktop.

    Darren

    Darren, May 13, 2004

  3. C

    steve Guest

    C wrote:
    > I want to be able to share some CDs over a network. We have a network
    > license for this software, but it needs to be run from an individual
    > machine.
    > What software is out there that can be set up on a central server so
    > that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    > software?
    >
    > Chrick

    That depends on the software and how it needs to be installed.

    Most games, for example, will require installation from the client
    machine, but could be partly or entirely installed onto a mapped drive
    on the network.

    An alternative is to run the PCs as "screnscraping" network clients
    presenting a picture of what the program - which is actually running on
    the sever - is doing.

    A game requiring 3D graphics could not be run that way. The screen would
    not update anywhere near fast enough.

    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    steve, May 13, 2004
  4. C

    XPD Guest

    <C> wrote in message news:...
    > I want to be able to share some CDs over a network. We have a network
    > license for this software, but it needs to be run from an individual
    > machine.
    > What software is out there that can be set up on a central server so
    > that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    > software?
    >
    > Chrick

    Just share the drive out and map it as a particular drive.
    XPD, May 13, 2004
  5. C

    C Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:03:53 +1200, "Darren" <> wrote:

    >Just share the cd drive the copy a shortcut to their desktop.
    >
    >Darren
    >
    ><C> wrote in message news:...
    >> I want to be able to share some CDs over a network. We have a network
    >> license for this software, but it needs to be run from an individual
    >> machine.
    >> What software is out there that can be set up on a central server so
    >> that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    >> software?
    >>
    >> Chrick

    Thanks but not what I want - I want several machines to have access to
    my server at once and thus be able to access different CDs.

    Not all CDs allow access from a copy / shortcut routine.

    I want software like Daemon tools that is easily (invisibly to the end
    user) networked.
    C, May 13, 2004
  6. C

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, C <> says...
    > I want software like Daemon tools that is easily (invisibly to the end
    > user) networked.

    What the problem with Daemon Tools? How many drives do you need?
    colinco, May 13, 2004
  7. C

    C Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:54:32 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, C <> says...
    >> I want software like Daemon tools that is easily (invisibly to the end
    >> user) networked.
    >>

    >What the problem with Daemon Tools? How many drives do you need?

    I want 10 drives for the software series I am trying to use
    C, May 13, 2004
  8. C

    Dave Taylor Guest

    C <> wrote in news::

    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:03:53 +1200, "Darren" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just share the cd drive the copy a shortcut to their desktop.
    >>
    >>Darren
    >>
    >><C> wrote in message news:...
    >>> I want to be able to share some CDs over a network. We have a network
    >>> license for this software, but it needs to be run from an individual
    >>> machine.
    >>> What software is out there that can be set up on a central server so
    >>> that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    >>> software?
    >>>
    >>> Chrick

    > Thanks but not what I want - I want several machines to have access to
    > my server at once and thus be able to access different CDs.
    >
    > Not all CDs allow access from a copy / shortcut routine.
    >
    > I want software like Daemon tools that is easily (invisibly to the end
    > user) networked.

    Can't you share the daemon tools mounted image drive letter?
    If not, I know there is something out there that can do that. Can't
    remember what it was called though.
    I found this that probably does it, but not free.
    http://www.cdrom-emulator.com/
    Looks like Alcohol 52% will do it too. Not free.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 13, 2004
  9. C

    Allistar Guest

    C <> wrote:

    > I want to be able to share some CDs over a network. We have a network
    > license for this software, but it needs to be run from an individual
    > machine.
    > What software is out there that can be set up on a central server so
    > that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    > software?
    >
    > Chrick

    Are we talking Macintosh, Linux, Windows, *BSD, AIX?

    With all but the middle one you could just create an NFS share to the CD
    drive and mount that on the local machine.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, May 13, 2004
  10. C

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, C <> says...
    > >> I want software like Daemon tools that is easily (invisibly to the end
    > >> user) networked.
    > >>

    > >What the problem with Daemon Tools? How many drives do you need?

    > I want 10 drives for the software series I am trying to use

    Alcohol 52% was on issue 210 PCPlus. 1-31 drives. It won't update as
    it's a serial numberless install. Daemon Tools develelopers were
    involved.
    colinco, May 13, 2004
  11. C

    Mike_P Guest

    <C> wrote in message news:...
    > I want to be able to share some CDs over a network. We have a network
    > license for this software, but it needs to be run from an individual
    > machine.
    > What software is out there that can be set up on a central server so
    > that users (kids) can just click on a desktop icon and run the
    > software?
    >
    > Chrick

    We use VirtualCD... works great.
    You can get a demo version here...
    http://www.virtualcd-online.com/vcd/apps/download/demo.cfm?lg=0

    Mike
    Mike_P, May 14, 2004
  12. C

    MarkH Guest

    colinco <> wrote in

    > In article <>, C <> says...
    >> >>
    >> >What the problem with Daemon Tools? How many drives do you need?

    >> I want 10 drives for the software series I am trying to use
    >>

    > Alcohol 52% was on issue 210 PCPlus. 1-31 drives. It won't update as
    > it's a serial numberless install. Daemon Tools develelopers were
    > involved.

    Alcohol is good, I use Alcohol 120% which I understand is the version that
    includes both Alcohol 52% (Mounts CD images onto a virtual drive) and
    Alcohol 68% (CD burning from an image file).

    Alcohol can mount images from a network drive, a server could hold the
    images for a couple of hundred CDs and individual computers could use
    Alcohol to mount however many disks it need onto however many virtual
    drives you need (up to 31 on the drop down list, not sure how the drive
    letters go after Z).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"