    Can you help me with this? Thanks.

    Thanks again.

    Steve
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Dec 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=

    Malke Guest

    Steve Campbell wrote:

    > I have just downloaded the Network Magic trial and installed it on my
    > PC, my
    > wife's laptop and my daughter's PC. All run on Win XP/HE.
    >
    > On their computers it has installed without a problem.
    >
    > However on mine I am told that for 2 folders on my data partition
    > "access is
    > denied" and that sharing can't take place. These folders are
    > 'Documents' &
    > 'Music' - critical sharing folders. Both are set up in Windows for
    > full
    > sharing but aren't accessable on the network via Windows only either.
    > Other
    > folders on the same data partition work just fine. The Documents
    > folder has an icon which shows in Windows Explorer as if its not seen
    > as a folder but
    > has a a sharing hand icon undernaeth it.

    Network Magic is not a Microsoft product. You'll need to contact them
    for help with their program.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Thanks for getting back but I probably wasn't clear enough. Network Magic
    isn't the problem, it has merely confirmed the error I had already been
    having with the Documents and Music folders in terms of sharing on an
    ordinary MS Windows basis.

    The problem with Music is that under Windows sharing it is "access denied"
    whilst Documents is the same but has the additional oddity of appearing as a
    non-associated folder icon with no sharing tab on it. However, if I
    highlight My Documents on the Start menu it shows as already shared aith the
    normal sharing tab etc. I suspect it's probably a registry key thing.

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Dec 17, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=

    Malke Guest

    Steve Campbell wrote:

    > Thanks for getting back but I probably wasn't clear enough. Network
    > Magic isn't the problem, it has merely confirmed the error I had
    > already been having with the Documents and Music folders in terms of
    > sharing on an ordinary MS Windows basis.
    >
    > The problem with Music is that under Windows sharing it is "access
    > denied" whilst Documents is the same but has the additional oddity of
    > appearing as a
    > non-associated folder icon with no sharing tab on it. However, if I
    > highlight My Documents on the Start menu it shows as already shared
    > aith the
    > normal sharing tab etc. I suspect it's probably a registry key thing.
    >
    > Steve

    If you are trying to share these directories on XP Home, that would
    explain the issue. XP Home does not allow sharing of users' home
    directories (My Documents) although you can share folders in that
    directory. Since the My Music folder is a system folder, perhaps that
    is the reason for the inability to share it also. Try either making a
    new folder in My Documents for items you desire to share, use the
    Shared Documents folder, or make a new folder for sharing somewhere
    else on the hard drive.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 17, 2005
  5. Thanks. Just tried this, however, I get the same result when I try and share
    any of the folders within those folders and My Documents and Music are
    shareable on both the other computers which also run XP Home.

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Dec 17, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=

    Malke Guest

    Steve Campbell wrote:

    > Thanks. Just tried this, however, I get the same result when I try
    > and share any of the folders within those folders and My Documents and
    > Music are shareable on both the other computers which also run XP
    > Home.

    Then I'm sorry, but I'd suggest you have a local professional come over
    and take a look. Someone onsite can probably solve the issue in a few
    minutes while someone reading about it in a newsgroup can't.

    In the meantime, here is a network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg
    Michna. It is worth taking the time to go through it carefully because
    it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s).

    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 17, 2005
  7. Thanks, will look it up. What's really odd is that I created a new folder
    called Docs, moved a few folders from my Documents folder into it and it too
    couldn't be shared. I wonder if there's some hidden file causing this???

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=, Dec 18, 2005