Shared ADSL connection

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RT, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. RT

    RT Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:47:04 +1300, Hmmm wrote:
    >
    >> wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>> On 25 Oct 2004 15:50:21 -0500, geoffm wrote:
    >>>

    > snip
    >>>

    >>> Hmm yeah this is why you need some sort of traffic shaping ( I use a
    >>> Linux
    >>> box as firewall/trafic shaper ). Maybe he has P2P apps which can result
    >>> in
    >>> huge number of connections and suck all the bandwidth. Probably a worm
    >>> though.

    >> What system are you using?
    >> I'm using smoooooooooooothwall, which has great QoS.
    >> Or you just using a standard linux install?

    > Just using stock Debian with iptables.
    > Using the traffic control in the kernel with Hierarchy Token Bucket
    > queues.
    > i.e. some home-grown scripts
    >
    > See:
    >
    > http://lartc.org/

    Its available as a Debian package
    http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/wondershaper

    RT, Oct 25, 2004

  2. RT

    geoffm Guest

    Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    finally got the rate limiting working?
    The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    suggestions?
    Geoff

    geoffm, Oct 25, 2004

  3. "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    > finally got the rate limiting working?
    > The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    > computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    > and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    > MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    > the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    > he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    > look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    > suggestions?

    The most likely thing is that he has either a virus or some p2p application
    running (or possibly both). If msn and icq are not connecting then there
    must be a lot of streams open that are swamping the connection - either that
    or there is something wrong with your router. If you have a sufficiently
    advanced router you should be able to rate limit the connection to his
    machine. If you can intercept the packets from his machine you should be
    able to analyse them with suitable software and determine what is most
    likely causing them.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz

    Andrew Bryson, Oct 25, 2004
  4. RT

    Jax Guest

    Andrew Bryson wrote:
    > "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    >>finally got the rate limiting working?
    >>The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    >>computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    >>and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    >>MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    >>the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    >>he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    >>look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    >>suggestions?

    mayeb his network card is dodgy

    Jax, Oct 25, 2004
  5. geoffm wrote:
    > I don't know what he is doing on
    > the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    > he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    > look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    > suggestions?

    dont let him on the network... you're all users, dont put up with it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004
  6. RT

    JedMeister Guest

    "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    > finally got the rate limiting working?
    > The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    > computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    > and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    > MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    > the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    > he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    > look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    > suggestions?
    > Geoff

    The telecom rate limiting kicked in on my line, immediately after exceeding
    my 10gig cap. Now my connection is running at 65KBps (according to
    www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed). And, I have only used 11000mb as of today.

    You know, 10gig is not that much traffic. When I upgraded from 2gig to
    10gig, I thought i would never exceed, but there you go.

    JedMeister, Oct 25, 2004
  7. On 25 Oct 2004 15:50:21 -0500, geoffm wrote:

    > Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    > finally got the rate limiting working?
    > The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    > computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    > and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    > MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    > the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    > he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    > look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    > suggestions?
    > Geoff

    Hmm yeah this is why you need some sort of traffic shaping ( I use a Linux
    box as firewall/trafic shaper ). Maybe he has P2P apps which can result in
    huge number of connections and suck all the bandwidth. Probably a worm
    though.

    The other solution is to make him install some sort of bandwdith limiting
    software such as Netlimiter.

    I'd just cut him off until he sorts his shit out.

    wogers nemesis, Oct 26, 2004
  8. RT

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:56:48 GMT, Jax <jax@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Andrew Bryson wrote:
    >> "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    >>>finally got the rate limiting working?
    >>>The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    >>>computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    >>>and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    >>>MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    >>>the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    >>>he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    >>>look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    >>>suggestions?

    >mayeb his network card is dodgy

    It is built in (Sony Viao laptop). Apart from that, I know nothing
    about what is under the hood.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Oct 26, 2004
  9. RT

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On 25 Oct 2004 15:50:21 -0500, geoffm wrote:

    > The other solution is to make him install some sort of bandwdith limiting
    > software such as Netlimiter.

    Do you know of any windows freeware like that program ?

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 26, 2004
  10. RT

    Hmmm Guest

    Hmmm, Oct 26, 2004
  11. RT

    Harry Guest

    geoffm wrote:

    > Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    > finally got the rate limiting working?
    > The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    > computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    > and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    > MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    > the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    > he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    > look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    > suggestions?

    Get rid of all your viruses and spyware.
    And banish the other guy from your network.

    Harry, Oct 26, 2004
  12. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:27:29 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    >> On 25 Oct 2004 15:50:21 -0500, geoffm wrote:

    >> The other solution is to make him install some sort of bandwdith limiting
    >> software such as Netlimiter.
    >>

    > Do you know of any windows freeware like that program ?

    No, alas, but you do get a 28 day trial with Netlimiter.

    wogers nemesis, Oct 26, 2004

    wogers nemesis, Oct 26, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  15. RT

    geoffm Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:55:39 +1300, "Andrew Bryson"
    <> wrote:

    >"geoffm" <> wrote in message
    >> Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    >> finally got the rate limiting working?
    >> The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    >> computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    >> and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    >> MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    >> the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    >> he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    >> look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    >> suggestions?

    >The most likely thing is that he has either a virus or some p2p application
    >running (or possibly both). If msn and icq are not connecting then there
    >must be a lot of streams open that are swamping the connection - either that
    >or there is something wrong with your router. If you have a sufficiently
    >advanced router you should be able to rate limit the connection to his
    >machine. If you can intercept the packets from his machine you should be
    >able to analyse them with suitable software and determine what is most
    >likely causing them.

    Router doesn't have any rate limiting facilities that I can see. It is
    a "Web Excel" adsl router - Connexent chipset - basically the same
    inside as the Dick Smith ones.
    Any suggestions for packet sniffing software to have a look at the
    traffic? I had a look at Tucows, but none of them seem to let you
    check other IPs than your own.
    The situation here is a bit strange (student hostel, foriegn students
    mainly) and noone talks to anyone else very much, and the person
    concerned is less than helpful. If I can find the source, port, etc,
    then I will lay it on the line.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Oct 26, 2004
  16. RT

    geoffm Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:12:51 +1300, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >The telecom rate limiting kicked in on my line, immediately after exceeding
    >my 10gig cap. Now my connection is running at 65KBps (according to
    >www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed). And, I have only used 11000mb as of today.

    I suspect the same here. 10Gb isn't much when shared amongst 4
    people. Of course, according to Xtra, you are only supposed to use it
    to DL email...
    >You know, 10gig is not that much traffic. When I upgraded from 2gig to
    >10gig, I thought i would never exceed, but there you go.

    That is the problem of living in a country run by corrupt politicians
    for the benefit of a monopoly telecommunications provider..

    geoffm, Oct 26, 2004
  17. "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > Router doesn't have any rate limiting facilities that I can see. It is
    > a "Web Excel" adsl router - Connexent chipset - basically the same
    > inside as the Dick Smith ones.
    > Any suggestions for packet sniffing software to have a look at the
    > traffic? I had a look at Tucows, but none of them seem to let you
    > check other IPs than your own.
    > The situation here is a bit strange (student hostel, foriegn students
    > mainly) and noone talks to anyone else very much, and the person
    > concerned is less than helpful. If I can find the source, port, etc,
    > then I will lay it on the line.

    Is there any reason that you cannot just arbitrarily disconnect the person
    and then let them sort out the problem? :p. Failing that your best bet is
    probably to drop a linux router between the adsl router and the rest of the
    network then you can monitor all the packets that go through it. Most
    networks these days are switched which will mean that very few of the
    packets will go anywhere other than directly to the machine for which they
    are intended, so packet sniffers tend not to work unless they are running on
    the router itself or you can somehow flood the switch so that it cannot keep
    track of the various mac addresses adequately (and hence sends all packets
    to every machine) :p.

    There is most likely a windows version of tcpdump these days, so you could
    download that and have a look at what packets are actually showing up on
    your ethernet card. If you have one of the new cards with the settable MAC
    address you could clone either the bad machine or your router and see what
    packets arrive. This will most likely screw up your network but it would
    only be temporary and it might give you some idea of what is going on.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz

    Andrew Bryson, Oct 26, 2004
  18. RT

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:27:29 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 25 Oct 2004 15:50:21 -0500, geoffm wrote:

    >>>The other solution is to make him install some sort of bandwdith limiting
    >>>software such as Netlimiter.
    >>>

    >>Do you know of any windows freeware like that program ?

    > No, alas, but you do get a 28 day trial with Netlimiter.

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    Thanks for gettng back on that. I have been looking high and low but
    not found anything. It is a bit of an unusual request I guess but I was
    thinking of getting the 2mbps plan and I use a video chat program that
    really sucks the bandwith which doesn't have any way of limiting
    bandwidth. The problem is only apparent when connecting to USA friends
    who have full on DSL or Cable connections.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 26, 2004
  19. RT

    steve Guest

    geoffm wrote:

    > Our ADSL connection is slower than a dial up modem - have Telecom
    > finally got the rate limiting working?
    > The other problem is one of the guys here - when he plugs his
    > computer into the router, it sucks up 99% of the bandwidth, unplug it
    > and all is OK. it is so bad that the rest of us cannot even connect to
    > MSN or ICQ, let alone any web sites. I don't know what he is doing on
    > the computer (except he complains it won't connect either - so maybe
    > he has been hacked/ virused or..?) but won't let anyone else have a
    > look at it. It is only my problem for another 5 days, but any
    > suggestions?
    > Geoff

    Have him try another ethernet card......maybe he's soaking your LAN with
    polling or re-tries.

    If his card doesn't like your switch / hub, then that could explain it.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Oct 29, 2004