Share XP reinstall madness! (a long instructive story)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Luke O'Malley, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. Hi!

    Since I seem to have such unique problems, I thought i would share a
    solution. I had problems with a window popping up when I booted.
    It prevented me from logging on. I tried many solutions, but
    nothing worked.

    I decided to reinstall XP Pro. After creating a bootable XP disk I
    got everything going . . . so I thought. After a few hours of work,
    I shut down. The following day I turned on the PC and it did very
    strange things, such as giving me the option of using WIN98 or XP
    Home - neither of which was on my PC (but not XP Pro). Obviously,
    neither worked. The XP Home said I had a damage file, HAL.DLL.

    In the meantime I bought a new replacement drive that I was going to
    install. I decided to mount it and remove the old drive - I have
    two functional CD drives. I rereinstalled XP Pro.

    I was now given the option of XP Pro, XP Home & WIN98 (things were
    looking up!). I selected XP Pro and got a screen with no icons on it
    and my hard drive F:did not exist! Ouch! I decided the problem was
    the CD drive I removed. My drives are C; (hard disk), D: (CD RW),
    E: (removed) & F: (main hard drive). I electronically attached
    (obviously, did not install) the new drive and rebooted. Presto!
    Everything was OK.

    The Moral!

    Don't **** around with things you don't know! . . . unless you have
    a resource such as 24hoursupport.helpdesk.

    Goodwill, Many Thanks, Happy Hannakuh & Merry Christmas
    Luke

    P.S. Wait until New Years to hear the story about the intallation
    of the new drive!

    Luke O'Malley, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Luke O'Malley

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > The Moral!
    >
    > Don't **** around with things you don't know! . . . unless you have
    > a resource such as 24hoursupport.helpdesk.
    >
    > Goodwill, Many Thanks, Happy Hannakuh & Merry Christmas
    > Luke
    >
    > P.S. Wait until New Years to hear the story about the intallation
    > of the new drive!

    Why don't you go buy or go to the library and get the Windows XP Pro
    Resource Kit book ISBN 0-7356-1974-3 that can also be applied to Home? It
    will save you on making the grief post.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 5, 2004

  3. In article Xns95B6A4D40352notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17,
[...]