    that NIC to the Dev machine.

    Sorry if this seems confusing, but thanks for your time,

    Neil

    Neil Barras, Apr 9, 2006

  2. Yes - if you do not have a switch or a hub, you will have to use a crossover
    cable. These are available at any computer supply store. Then enable
    Internet Connection Sharing on the wireless connection.

    Note - If your wireless LAN is using addresses in the range of 192.168.0.x,
    then you will have to change this before you can use ICS.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Neil Barras" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have two PC's in my bedroom - My main desktop is connected to the net

    via
    > a WiFi connection linked to a router in my Office next door. I have just
    > set up a Development machine next to my desktop, and would like to be able
    > to access the Internet on it. I would prefer not to buy another WiFi
    > adapter as this is only a Dev machine.
    >
    > My question is - Is there a way to share the WiFi connection on my

    desktop,
    > and use an ethernet cable from the 10/100 NIC on the desktop to the 10/100
    > NIC on the Dev machine? Basically, what I would like would be for the

    WiFi

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Apr 9, 2006

  3. Neil Barras

    Kurt Guest

    Yes. You can share between any two interfaces using Internet Connection
    Sharing (ICS). I've done this many times. You need to have the interfaces on
    different subnets. Just open the properties page for the wireless NIC and
    (depending on whether this is a W2K or an XP box) locate the ICS enable.
    Windows will automatically set your LAN (wired) IP address to 192.168.0.1,
    so if your WAN address is on a different subnet, you're good to go. If not,
    you'll need to change the IP address on your LAN side to any other private
    subnet address you like.

    If you were able to keep the default settings, all you should need to do is
    plug in a crossover cable between the boxes, make sure the test box is set
    to get it's IP address DHCP and you should now have Internet on both
    machines.

    If you had to change your IP address on the ICS box, you should give it an
    IP address on a different subnet than the Wireless interface, and make sure
    you don't put anything in the default gateway field for the wired side.
    You'll need to configure your other box on the same subnet as the wired side
    of your ICS box, and it should have the IP addres of the ICS LAN interface
    as it's default gateway. You'll also need to give it your ISPs DNS server in
    those fields.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Apr 10, 2006