share printer wireless with different OS

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by quitono, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. quitono

    quitono Guest

    The printer is connected to PC1, a desktop with *win2k professional" and
    there is no problem in printing. PC2 is also a desktop with 'Vista Home" and
    PC3 is a labtop with 'xp home" All the 3 pc can go internet wireless . When I
    try to set up sharing the printer, it says that if I want to shared this
    printer with different OS, I need to install the drivers and give a dialogue
    box with details such as

    alpha windows NT3.1

    intel windows NT 3.1
    NT 3.5 OR 3.51
    mips NT 3.1
    NT 3.5 or 3,51
    NT 4.0
    power pc windows NT 3.51
    NT4
    (there may be some errors in describing the details)
    There are check boxes for you to tick and Windows 2000 is already tick.

    Now am I suppose to check the appropriate boxes for VISTA and XP? If so
    which one or am I suppose to load the drivers (Xp and Vista) for the printer
    in PC1?

    Kindly please advice as I need to be able to print wirelessly from PC2 and
    PC3 as they are all in different rooms. Many thanks.

    quitono, Jul 10, 2008

  2. quitono

    GTS Guest

    Download the drivers for XP and Vista (if one exists) from the manufacturer.
    Install the XP driver on the XP machine as a LOCAL printer, uncheck Auto
    detect... Then after the driver is installed, change the port to
    \\computername\printersharename Do the same on the Vista machine with the
    Vista driver.

    GTS, Jul 10, 2008

  3. quitono

    quitono Guest

    I dl the epson cx4100 driver and install onto the Vista machine. During the
    installation it ask to make sure the printer is connected to the pc and turn
    on, which I choose manul instead. Next screen ask to choose the port
    LPT1/2/3
    COM1/2/3/4
    FILE (print to file)
    XPS

    so which one should I select or do I ADD Port/Config Port
    Please assist. FYI computer name is user-2d12345678 and the printershare
    name is epson (Manufacturer does not extend helpto installing network
    printer) Thanks

    quitono, Jul 10, 2008
  4. quitono

    quitono Guest

    Ref my OP, do I just ignore the part where it ask me to install the
    driver(for other OS) and just click next, thanks

    quitono, Jul 11, 2008
  5. quitono

    GTS Guest

    It doesn't really matter which port you choose as you will be changing it as
    soon as the driver install completes. I generally sleet LPT1.

    GTS, Jul 11, 2008
  6. quitono

    GTS Guest

    I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you follow the instructions I gave
    you, this question shouldn't come up.

    GTS, Jul 11, 2008
  7. quitono

    quitono Guest

    After I add printer as local on my Vista LPT1 is check. Now how do I change
    the port? WhenI right click the printer>properties>lightlight LPT1 and try to
    'config port' - there's nothing to change. Can you show me steps wise,
    how/where do I change the path. Pardon my limited knowledge, thanks

    quitono, Jul 11, 2008
  8. quitono

    GTS Guest

    Select the Ports tab. Click Add Port. Select Local Port. click Add New
    Port (or just double click Local Port). Enter the printer info as
    \\computername\printersharename and Click OK. OK again....

    GTS, Jul 11, 2008
  9. quitono

    gracetai Guest

    Finally I got it. Many thanks for your patience

    gracetai, Jul 12, 2008
  10. quitono

    GTS Guest

    You're welcome.