Share permissions - error i MS Training kit?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by jones_net, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. jones_net

    jones_net Guest

    Hi

    I'm reading the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" book for the 70-270
    exam.

    On page 318 I think ther's a mistake in the text!?

    It says: The default shared folder permission is Full Control, and it is
    assigned to the Everyone group when you share the folder"
    As far as I can see, the default shared folder permission is Read for the
    Everyone group!

    In Windows 2000 the default shared folder permission was Everyone Full
    Control, so is this an error from the guy who copied and pasted the line?

    Am I right or wrong?

    /J
    jones_net, Sep 27, 2003

  2. jones_net

    Herb Martin Guest

    > I'm reading the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" book for the 70-270
    > exam.
    >
    > On page 318 I think ther's a mistake in the text!?
    >
    > It says: The default shared folder permission is Full Control, and it is
    > assigned to the Everyone group when you share the folder"
    > As far as I can see, the default shared folder permission is Read for the
    > Everyone group!
    >
    > In Windows 2000 the default shared folder permission was Everyone Full
    > Control, so is this an error from the guy who copied and pasted the line?
    >
    > Am I right or wrong?

    Why do you doubt yourself?

    Twenty seconds to decide:
    md d:\atestdir
    net share testshare=d:\atestdir
    start d:\atestdir
    Check properties on d:\atestdir (right-click), Share->Permissions

    (Yes, of course you are correct but why would you believe me
    over your own eyes? <grin>)

    --
    Herb Martin
    Herb Martin, Sep 27, 2003

  3. or check on the Microsoft website, and find the corrections for that book...

    Brian Warren \(Home\), Sep 27, 2003
  4. jones_net

    jones_net Guest

    "Herb Martin" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > I'm reading the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" book for the 70-270
    > > exam.
    > >
    > > On page 318 I think ther's a mistake in the text!?
    > >
    > > It says: The default shared folder permission is Full Control, and it is
    > > assigned to the Everyone group when you share the folder"
    > > As far as I can see, the default shared folder permission is Read for

    the
    > > Everyone group!
    > >
    > > In Windows 2000 the default shared folder permission was Everyone Full
    > > Control, so is this an error from the guy who copied and pasted the

    line?

    > > Am I right or wrong?

    > Why do you doubt yourself?
    >
    > Twenty seconds to decide:
    > md d:\atestdir
    > net share testshare=d:\atestdir
    > start d:\atestdir
    > Check properties on d:\atestdir (right-click), Share->Permissions
    >
    > (Yes, of course you are correct but why would you believe me
    > over your own eyes? <grin>)

    I wasn't shure if the full control had been changed by SP1 or some security
    patch...

    /J
    jones_net, Sep 28, 2003
  5. jones_net

    jones_net Guest

    "Brian Warren (Home)" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > or check on the Microsoft website, and find the corrections for that

    book...

    Didn't knew it existed -found it - thanks:)

    /J
    jones_net, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Then when things are changed by either service packs or security patches,
    you have to decide if the exam questions have been changed to also reflect
    that change.
    When in doubt presume they refer to original (first release) version.

    Glad you found the MS Press ammendments site. There are numerous errors in
    all the books, and can really throw you off course.

    Brian

    Brian Warren \(Home\), Sep 28, 2003
  7. jones_net

    Herb Martin Guest

    > I wasn't shure if the full control had been changed by SP1 or some
    security
    > patch...

    That is actually a different question from "Is the book wrong?"

    Go with the original product unless you see a SPECIFIC disclaimer on
    a specific exam (there was one long ago on WFW 3.1 when DOS 6.2
    was added to it and Win98 changed to a new version when SR1 was
    included.) Such are rare.

    --
    Herb Martin
    Herb Martin, Sep 28, 2003