    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Dec 3, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (ArtKramr)

    >Anyone know the share of the digital camera market each maker has?

    For competitive reasons the camera companies are a bit coy about divulging
    these types of numbers, however you can probably Google 'digital camera market
    share' and find some good guesses from the marketing associations that try to
    track this kind of data.

    Often you can glean tidbits from the annual reports from public companies ...
    for instance I had this bookmarked from Nikon's report 2-3 years ago and on the
    2nd page you can see their projected sales figures for 2001 and earlier, with
    estimates as to their market share for film cameras. For SLRs for example in
    2001 Nikon says they will have 27.6% of the market unit-wise and 37%
    dollar-wise (yen-wise?), meaning their cameras sold for more on average than
    their SLR competitors.

    For digital they don't have as much info (pg 3) but in 2002 projected
    19,000,000 units shipped for about 14% of the market ...
    http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/2002/fb/02fb_e04.pdf

    You can probably find more up-to-date info like this if you sniff around.

    No doubt Nikon and Canon dominate the dSLR market right now ...
    Bill Hilton, Dec 3, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    Tony Guest

    I believe I read that for digital cameras (all) Sony and Kodak are the top
    dogs with Canon around third, while Canon is first in dSLRS and Nikon
    second. The DRebel models, like the film Rebels, are the top selling SRLS
    worldwide.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 3, 2004
  4. ArtKramr wrote:
    > Anyone know the share of the digital camera market each maker has?

    In the U.S. for point and shoot digital cameras it's:

    1. Sony 21.5% (falling)
    2. Kodak 18.3% (rising)
    3. Canon 14.7% (rising)
    4. Olympus 11.8%
    5. Fuji 8.7%
    6. HP 7.0%
    7. Nikon 5.7%

    Since D-SLR sales are relatively small, these numbers also probably
    are accurate across the board. Clearly Canon has a huge lead in market
    share in D-SLRs, but the total numbers are small.

    For all of 2003, in Europe, the top 5 comprised about 61% of the
    market, and were:

    1. Canon 15.8% (rising)
    2. Sony 13.3% (falling)
    3. Olympus 11.3% (falling)
    4. Fuji 10.8% (falling)
    5. Nikon 9.7% (rising)

    This includes D-SLRs.

    Pretty interesting that Kodak is number two in the U.S., and may have
    already actually passed Sony for the number one spot, but isn't even
    in the top five in Europe.

    Worldwide, the numbers for 2002 and 2003 are:

    2003

    1. Sony 18.4% (falling)
    2. Canon 16.2% (rising)
    3. Olympus 13.0% (falling)
    4. Kodak 12.0% (rising)
    5. Fuji 11.6% (falling)
    6. Nikon 8.6% (rising)
    7. HP 5.1% (falling)

    2002
    1. Sony 19.8%
    2. Canon 14.7%
    3. Olympus 15.9%
    4. Kodak 9.9%
    5. Fuji Photo 14.2%
    6. Nikon 8.3%
    7. HP 5.9%

    I'll post the 2004 numbers as soon as I get them, but it won't be for
    a while. I'm pretty sure that Canon now ranks ahead of Sony in sales,
    but for the whole year it may be very close.

    Actually, the number one digital camera maker in the world is Sanyo,
    but not in terms of what they sell under their own name.

    Digital camera growth is slowing, since the market is almost
    penetrated in terms of first time buyers.
    Steven Scharf, Dec 3, 2004