    I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?
    bigjon, Apr 14, 2004

  2. bigjon

    Gordon Guest

    bigjon cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

    > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    Buy a router, attach the router to the cable modem, and then connect
    each machine to the router.
    Gordon, Apr 14, 2004

  3. bigjon

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:50:00 +0100, bigjon <>
    scribbled:

    >I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    >I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    >Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    A degree in electrical engineering?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Apr 14, 2004
  4. bigjon

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:51:50 +0100, Gordon <> scribbled:

    >bigjon cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:
    >
    >> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    >> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    >> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    >Buy a router, attach the router to the cable modem, and then connect
    >each machine to the router.

    Sounds like networking to me....

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Apr 14, 2004
  5. bigjon

    boon Guest

    "bigjon" <> wrote in message
    > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
    machine.
    boon, Apr 14, 2004
  6. bigjon

    Hywel Guest

    In article <J3ifc.3817$>,
    says...
    > "bigjon" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    > > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    > > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    > no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
    > machine.

    Are those in the "home user" price bracket yet? Last time I checked
    they were prohibitively expensive for the SOHO user.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Hywel wrote:

    > In article <J3ifc.3817$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>"bigjon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    >>>I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    >>>Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    >>no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
    >>machine.

    > Are those in the "home user" price bracket yet? Last time I checked
    > they were prohibitively expensive for the SOHO user.

    Everything in SOHO is prohibitively expensive.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  8. bigjon

    Jerry G. Guest

    The only way to do this is to network the machines. There is no other way,
    unless you can develop a new system yourself. If you can develop a new
    system let me know, because we can make a lot of money with this!

    You can either connect up a router, or install a second network card in the
    main machine. The second network card will be a lot more complex, because
    you will have to designate the machine as a network controller, and it will
    have to be turned on when access is required from the other machine.

    The simplest way is to have a router with a WAN connector on the back. The
    process is very simplified these days, and does not take an engineering
    degree to do a simple network.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 14, 2004
  9. bigjon

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:54:40 -0400, "Jerry G." <>
    scribbled:

    >The only way to do this is to network the machines. There is no other way,
    >unless you can develop a new system yourself. If you can develop a new
    >system let me know, because we can make a lot of money with this!

    Why? Who'd buy such a piece of shit?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Apr 15, 2004
  10. bigjon

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Connecting two computers to the same device IS networking.

    "bigjon" <> wrote in message
    > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    ---
    Rodney Kelp, Apr 15, 2004
  11. bigjon

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:26:02 -0400, "Rodney Kelp"
    <> scribbled:

    >Connecting two computers to the same device IS networking.

    What if the device is an UPS?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Apr 15, 2004
  12. bigjon

    docmill Guest

    bigjon <> wrote in

    > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    Not that way, but another modem and another cable fee?
    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    docmill, Apr 15, 2004
  13. bigjon <> wrote in

    > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    Yeah, actually ya can.

    By "networking" I am going to infer that you mean to say that you don't
    want the different PC's communicating with each other at this point?

    The old devices used to be called a "hub."

    I imagine you can still find them, but they are *sooooooo* 1990's
    anymore.

    Your best answer is problably to go ahead and get yourself a router.

    With a router, (they come in various port configurations) you can enable
    your PC's to communicate with each other, but you don't have to at this
    point.

    What happens is that the router plugs into the cable modem, and it
    becomes the owner your "WAN IP address."

    Whatever means your single computer uses to connect to the cable modem
    is the primary issue at this point. If you are using, or can use an
    "ethernet" cable to connect to the modem, you're in good shape.

    If you're using a USB cable, hmmm, it's doable, but not really as good
    because the ethernet cable, from your PC's network card to the modem,
    and then an ehernet cable from your router to your cable modem, is
    easier than: PC > USB > Router > Modem.

    So: If your PC's have 10/100 Mb network cards (in a PCI slot, they're
    really cheap too...) you can do this with most newer Surfboard modems
    because they have both ethernet and USB connections to the LAN side, and
    the standard cable connection to the WAN side:

    PC---___
    \
    PC--------Router ---------Modem---->out there on the WWW
    ____/
    PC---

    (Technically, that's a "network" whether the PC's are talking to each
    other or not.)

    Then, the PC's plug into the router, and they each get an "LAN IP
    address" from your router, which allows the PC's to go out on the
    internet and it also sorts out which 'packets' come from and go to which
    computer.

    Later on the PC's can talk to each other via the router, if you let
    them....

    Is that what you mean?

    If it is, goto LINKSYS.com and download any one of their PDF manuals for
    any of their routers and have a read.

    I'm not particualarly endorsing Linksys, per se, they just have a very
    user-freindly site with lots of freely downloadable reference material.

    Good luck!
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 15, 2004
  14. bigjon

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:28:32 -0500, Bucky Breeder
    <> scribbled:

    >bigjon <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    >> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    >> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?
    >>

    >Yeah, actually ya can.

    No, actually you can't.

    >By "networking" I am going to infer that you mean to say that you don't
    >want the different PC's communicating with each other at this point?

    Why infer? Never guess someone meant something other
    than what they said.

    >The old devices used to be called a "hub."
    >
    >I imagine you can still find them, but they are *sooooooo* 1990's
    >anymore.
    >
    >Your best answer is problably to go ahead and get yourself a router.

    A networking device.

    >With a router, (they come in various port configurations) you can enable
    >your PC's to communicate with each other, but you don't have to at this
    >point.

    They'll still be networked.

    >What happens is that the router plugs into the cable modem, and it
    >becomes the owner your "WAN IP address."
    >
    >Whatever means your single computer uses to connect to the cable modem
    >is the primary issue at this point. If you are using, or can use an
    >"ethernet" cable to connect to the modem, you're in good shape.

    Could you parse the above into English?

    >If you're using a USB cable, hmmm, it's doable, but not really as good
    >because the ethernet cable, from your PC's network card to the modem,
    >and then an ehernet cable from your router to your cable modem, is
    >easier than: PC > USB > Router > Modem.
    >
    >So: If your PC's have 10/100 Mb network cards (in a PCI slot, they're
    >really cheap too...) you can do this with most newer Surfboard modems
    >because they have both ethernet and USB connections to the LAN side, and
    >the standard cable connection to the WAN side:

    Now technically he could plug one machine into the USB
    and the other into the RJ45, I've heard that will work with
    some cable modems.

    >PC---___
    > \
    >PC--------Router ---------Modem---->out there on the WWW
    > ____/
    >PC---
    >
    >(Technically, that's a "network" whether the PC's are talking to each
    >other or not.)

    Which isn't what he asked for.

    >Then, the PC's plug into the router, and they each get an "LAN IP
    >address" from your router, which allows the PC's to go out on the
    >internet and it also sorts out which 'packets' come from and go to which
    >computer.
    >
    >Later on the PC's can talk to each other via the router, if you let
    >them....
    >
    >Is that what you mean?
    >
    >If it is, goto LINKSYS.com and download any one of their PDF manuals for
    >any of their routers and have a read.
    >
    >I'm not particualarly endorsing Linksys, per se, they just have a very
    >user-freindly site with lots of freely downloadable reference material.
    >
    >Good luck!

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Apr 15, 2004
  15. bigjon

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:28:32 -0500, Bucky Breeder wrote:

    >bigjon <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    >> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    >> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?
    >>

    >Yeah, actually ya can.
    >
    >By "networking" I am going to infer that you mean to say that you don't
    >want the different PC's communicating with each other at this point?
    >
    >The old devices used to be called a "hub."

    Whatever device(s) you are refering to that provide a collection of
    ports / a common connection point is still called a 'hub'.

    Do you mean a repeater as opposed to a switch?

    >I imagine you can still find them, but they are *sooooooo* 1990's
    >anymore.

    Not earlier than that?

    >Your best answer is problably to go ahead and get yourself a router.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Apr 15, 2004
  16. Palindr?me wrote:
    > Hywel wrote:

    >> In article <J3ifc.3817$>,
    >> says...

    >>>"bigjon" <> wrote in message

    >>>no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
    >>>machine.

    >> Are those in the "home user" price bracket yet? Last time I checked
    >> they were prohibitively expensive for the SOHO user.

    > Everything in SOHO is prohibitively expensive.

    Bummer! Everything is affordable here in NOHO[1], where I live. :)

    [1]Yes, seriously NOHO.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    The Ugliest Cars (mildly adult): http://snipurl.com/ugliest
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 15, 2004
  17. bigjon

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:50:00 +0100, bigjon wrote:

    >I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
    >I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
    >Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

    Yes, only 1 PC at a time.

    Register the MAC address of both PCs in selfcare.

    Connect 1 PC as normal.
    When you want to swap PCs, release the IP address, disconnect PC1,
    connect PC2 , reboot the CM so it picks up the change in PC MAC address.

    Repeat when you want to put the 1st PC back.

    Me
    why?, Apr 15, 2004
  18. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Bummer! Everything is affordable here in NOHO[1], where I live. :)
    >
    > [1]Yes, seriously NOHO.

    North Hollywood?
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 15, 2004
  19. Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Bummer! Everything is affordable here in NOHO[1], where I live. :)

    >> [1]Yes, seriously NOHO.

    > North Hollywood?

    Aye, Cap'n.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 15, 2004
  20. bigjon

    Scrote Guest

    -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:26:02 -0400, "Rodney Kelp"
    >> <> scribbled:
    >>
    >>> Connecting two computers to the same device IS networking.

    >> What if the device is an UPS?
    >>
    >> --
    >> 'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
    >> Riddles II, v3
    >> - T. Pratchett

    Connecting via a a Parcel Service, what a good idea. :)

    --
    I used to be indecisive but now, I'm not so sure.
    Scrote, Apr 15, 2004