Share files between 2 computers not working ...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I have 2 computers and both are using Win Xp Pro SP2 OS. My desktop is
    connected to my router via cable and my labtop is connected via built-in
    wireless card. Previously, i setup everything and both computers are able to
    work access and modify each other's shared files.

    But i do not know what software i may have installed, now both are able to
    see each other in my network places but when i click to attempt to access
    that computer it gives an error message:
    "\\Labtop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
    have access permissions.

    The network path was not found."

    I am sure both computers are connected to the router and both are able to
    connect to the internet. For checking purposes, i even disabled Windows
    Firewall and my own ZoneAlarm Firewall as well. However, i left my Grisoft
    AVG Anti-virus running. And don't think AVG is the one that's causing the
    problems because it was working fine.

    However, i did note a difference between my labtop and desktop. When i run
    "cmd" in command prompt >type ipconfig /all

    I noticed that under windows ip configurations, my desktop's node type is
    "Unknown" but my labtop's node type is "peer to peer". Anyone know if this
    might be a problem?

    And i have read Practicalnetworking and some the other solutions that were
    provided to other wireless networking posts but still it does not help. Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 19, 2006

  3. Jack ~ I might not be the most capable person in the world, the brightess
    star in the sky; however . . . . I am finding, seeing MANY posts of this
    SAME type. Isn't there a common thread to fix this problem? I have gone
    the ezlan route as you suggest to all who post as this person did, in my
    case without success. The 'filtering' process may have a few holes in
    it(??).

    MS's 'quick and easy' way to set up a wireless network, in mine and many
    posters, two computers total, simply does not work. Why? I have two
    machines. One is brand new - XP-Media, the other XP-Hm (just repaired also
    inclds SP2). 'A' "sees" 'B', but 'B' does not see 'A'. 'B' sees USBd
    printers on 'A'.

    Looking for a common thread (to repair this problem), in advance, Thank You.

    Wayne

    Wayne G. Dengel, Aug 20, 2006
  4. Hi

    If there were one cause and one answer that solves your problem, you would
    be correct in your comment.

    However, this is not the case the problem that you encounter can be caused
    by variety of issues in the computer Hardware OS, and other software
    applications.

    When you go to a doctor office and complain about general pain the in most
    cases the physician needs to conduct tests to find the cause of the pain in
    order to provide remedy.

    It is impossible to account to every combination of hardware and software
    setting especially when the products are programmed /built by variety of
    manufacturers.

    The pages on www.ezlan.net and similar pages on other member’s sites is a
    product of our experience with many systems and variety of hardware and thus
    might have a higher probability to solve problems that are not solved by the
    support of a single provider.

    Such pages usually might point to the right direction, and usually help
    people who are willing to learn more and help themselves, rather than
    providing an instant (none existing) answers.

    That is my way of doing it. I get a lot of praise, and occasional complains.
    Given that it is free, No Ads, or any other commercial solicitation. It
    costing me money, and does not provide income. So all in all, it is not so
    bad.

    However, occasionally there is No substitute to the in vivo work of a
    professional to solve complicated “Glitches”.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 20, 2006
  5. Hi Jack:

    I totally agree with what you say. It just seems that starting out w/two
    'virgin', fresh out-of-the-box machines with unadulterated XP OSs, bringing
    simply two together should not be as major a problem as it is (appears to
    be). I don't thing Bill Gate's people really thought this through very
    carefully. Any way, will wade - again and again - through ezlan. Maybe,
    just maybe a solution will surface.

    A good weekend to you.

    Wayne

    Wayne G. Dengel, Aug 20, 2006
  6. BTW - ezlan could have offered self-contained help. In preparation to find
    a fix, they say "remove this, remove that.." etc. 'how' links would be
    helpful. Ezlan was not written for the novice. Networking today is a
    universal function. Ezlan could make is easy(ier), more user friendly.

    Wayne

    Wayne G. Dengel, Aug 20, 2006
  7. Hi
    Ok
    You get up in the morning and your car does not start, the starter does not
    crank.
    You open the hood and look at the battery's cables, and they look OK.
    You have a gizmo to check the Battery, and it says that the battery is
    charged.
    At this point, there two options.
    1. Learn how to be an Auto Mechanic.
    2. Call your Auto Mechanic.
    Regards.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 20, 2006
  8. Jack:
    I hear you ~~ and thank you; will give ezlan another try, and try again
    until a solution is found.
    Wayne

    Wayne G. Dengel, Aug 20, 2006
  9. Jack ~ I thought through your reply. Your anology is not very good. There
    is very little that the battery connects to. A non-starting car - starter
    will not crank over - has a very small tree of solutions, very small.

    MS's means to make a simple two-machine system work, Ezlan's tree is very
    large. And Mr. Gate's has the audacity to call the wireless network install
    simple. Judging by the number of Microsoft clients with this problem,
    Microsoft needs to clean up their act,so to speak. I will wager you, your
    most favorite McDonalds and a family's work of Happy Meals, if Bill'speople
    were to put their heads together, they could come up with a simple,
    few-branches tree to help the thousands of us with this simple, two-machine
    network.

    I realize that you and other MVPs might not be happy with the above.
    However, the reality is that MS is not helpful at all. What I could do is
    pay a "consultant" one-hundred dollars for the first hour and have him/her
    visit my house and fix the problem. However, I do believe that this is not
    what Mr. Gates had in mind when his troopers wrote under "My Network
    Places", "Set upa wireless network for a home or small office", a poor
    application indeed. And judging by the number of posts on this subject, I am
    not too far off the road.

    Kind Regards :) ,
    Wayne G. Dengel
    Sarasota, FL