    return it because of that.
    I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
    this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

    Shane & Kimberly Gilbert, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Shane & Kimberly Gilbert wrote:

    > Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
    > defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
    > camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
    > because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
    >
    > I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
    > return it because of that.
    > I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
    > this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

    If this is true it stinks. I don't know the rules with this stuff in
    America. The one advantage with buying from the high street is the
    ability to walk into a shop and kick up a fuss in front of other
    customers, something which can help to get you a replacement.
    I'm assuming they say you have to contact the manufacturer as you filled
    in the card?
    --
    Paul. (I never agreed to be Your holy one)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    ajacobs2 Guest

    Slow down guys, we have seen this problem before.
    What camera and what batteries are in it?

    Second, you are not out of luck if it is a real problem, it gets repaired or
    replaced ny the manufacturer.
    Inconvenient, not life threatening.

    Back to the problem. If it is powered by AA batteries, sometimes because
    there is really no standarization of AA battery length, poor contact is made
    and causes this intermittant operation. It doesn't matter what brand some
    cameras like OLY are sensitive to what goes in them. And don't measure a
    battey wioth a caliper you'll potentially burn yourself or short the
    battery. Even on new cameras the contacts may be too short.

    So try a known set of rechargeables but if you tell us what camera and
    batteries we could help you....

    ajacobs2, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Pat Boch Guest

    I've read the other responses to your letter. In my opinion, B&H could have
    taken care of this issue for you... I'll certainly think twice before
    dealing with them in the future...Yes they have a technical point...But not
    a legal one. Facts are-this was a judgment on their end. I've returned
    camera equipment to other suppliers under the very same circumstances...

    --
    ________________
    Patrick

    Pat Boch, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Tom Scales Guest

    And I am sure B&H would accept it back for warranty repair.

    Tom
    "webmaster" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > "Shane & Kimberly Gilbert" <> wrote
    >
    > > Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
    > > defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange

    the
    > > camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund

    simply
    > > because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.

    > I am not conversant with the law in USA, but in the UK, I believe that if

    an
    > item is faulty, the vendor has the legal responsibility to replace or

    repair

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert wrote:
    > Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
    > defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
    > camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
    > because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
    >
    > I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
    > return it because of that.
    > I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
    > this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

    From their customer service page under "Receiving Your Order"

    "Carefully unpack and inspect all merchandise. Please DO NOT damage the
    manufacturer's packaging. *DO NOT fill out the manufacturer's warranty
    cards* until you are absolutely sure you want to keep your merchandise.
    We cannot accept merchandise for return with completed warranty cards of
    damaged or missing collateral material. Do not throw away any of the
    packaging materials such as boxes, instructions, inserts, bags, etc
    until you are completely sure you want to keep the equipment."

    And under "Return / Exchange Policy"

    "To return an item you must call Customer Service for prior approval and
    obtain an RMA number. All merchandise purchased from B&H is sold in its
    original factory packaging with all contents as supplied to us by the
    manufacturer/distributor. Merchandise can be returned only if in
    original manufacturer's packaging, same condition as sold, with all
    literature/instructions/documentation and *blank warranty cards*. Place
    the manufacturer's box into a shipping carton. Please do not place
    stickers or shipping labels on the original manufacturer's package. Ship
    to us pre-paid. For your protection insure the package and ship via a
    traceable method. B&H is not responsible for lost or damaged packages."

    I also had a local camera store refuse to exchange my three week old
    camera for this reason. They were happy to do a warranty repair (which
    took three weeks) but could not return the camera to Nikon without all
    the packaging and a BLANK warranty card.

    So you might want to check out a stores return policy next time so you
    know what you need to do (and not do).

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 11, 2003
  7. "Shane & Kimberly Gilbert" <> wrote in message news:<JIJZa.6381$2.webusenet.com>...
    > Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
    > defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
    > camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
    > because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
    >
    > I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
    > return it because of that.
    > I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
    > this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

    Why not just be more careful and read the huge print B&H includes in
    the box which clearly states not to fill out the warranty card until
    you are satisfied, explaining that filling out the card means you take
    warranty out of the hands of B&H and into the hands of the maker.

    clay schneider, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Charlie Self Guest

    Clay Schneider writes:

    >> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I

    >can't
    >> return it because of that.
    >> I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
    >> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

    >Why not just be more careful and read the huge print B&H includes in
    >the box which clearly states not to fill out the warranty card until
    >you are satisfied, explaining that filling out the card means you take
    >warranty out of the hands of B&H and into the hands of the maker.

    Yes. But it's still crap. Not from B&H, but from manufacturers who will not
    accept equipment with a filled out warranty card. Would they have us think they
    print exactly the same number of cards as they make cameras? It's a bullshit
    requirement, but it's a bullshit requirement from the maker, not the retailer.

    Charlie Self

    "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm
    commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."
    Dan Quayle

    Charlie Self, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I had this problem with another brand camera and dealt with Beachcamera.com
    > or buydig.com. Same company. They let me exchange the camera with or without
    > the warranty card present or not. Seek another dealer.

    Of course they did. That's probably because as soon as they received it
    back, they put it back on the shelf and sold it to the next person,
    WITHOUT a warranty card. B&H does things the right way, which makes
    things a little less convenient for the consumer sometimes but you know
    that when you buy something from them you are getting all the pieces.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 11, 2003
  10. Opentoe wrote:
    > Then it would be the customer's fault who bought an open camera box at that
    > point. Also, who would purchase and keep a camera that didn't include a
    > warranty card? There's companies that have bad practices, but people just
    > can't be morons and believe everything when shopping.

    Yeah, right. Ever heard of eBay? That's proof that there is a sucker
    born every minute.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 11, 2003
  11. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Charlie D Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote:

    > Merchandise can be returned only if in original
    > manufacturer's packaging, same condition as sold, with all
    > literature/instructions/documentation and blank warranty cards.

    That's the way it has always been at every retailer everywhere.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie D, Aug 11, 2003
  12. > dealing with the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This is why I
    > NEVER fill out warranty cards.

    Another reason to not fill out warranty cards right away, is to wait until it
    actually breaks after a few years, you will need to date it as if you bought it
    only a month or two ago and print up a receipt to that effect. If you fill
    out the warranty card when you get the camera, it won't be any good if the
    camera breaks after a year is over.

    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 11, 2003
  13. Jon Wordsworth wrote:
    >>dealing with the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This is why I
    >>NEVER fill out warranty cards.

    > Another reason to not fill out warranty cards right away, is to wait until it
    > actually breaks after a few years, you will need to date it as if you bought it
    > only a month or two ago and print up a receipt to that effect. If you fill
    > out the warranty card when you get the camera, it won't be any good if the
    > camera breaks after a year is over.

    What a f--cking hypocrite you are. You complain about the "legality" of
    merchants not following your imaginary law that they MUST replace
    defective items and the promote the use of fraudulent practices to
    "extend" your warranty period.

    How typical.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 11, 2003
  14. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Frank ess Guest

    "Jon Wordsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > dealing with the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This is why I
    > > NEVER fill out warranty cards.

    > Another reason to not fill out warranty cards right away, is to wait until

    it
    > actually breaks after a few years, you will need to date it as if you

    bought it
    > only a month or two ago and print up a receipt to that effect. If you

    fill
    > out the warranty card when you get the camera, it won't be any good if the
    > camera breaks after a year is over.

    You are in danger, Jon-boy.

    Frank ess, Aug 11, 2003
  15. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Frank ess Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Clay Schneider writes:
    >
    > >> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I

    > >can't
    > >> return it because of that.
    > >> I have always received great customer service from them and then they

    pull
    > >> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next

    time.

    > >Why not just be more careful and read the huge print B&H includes in
    > >the box which clearly states not to fill out the warranty card until
    > >you are satisfied, explaining that filling out the card means you take
    > >warranty out of the hands of B&H and into the hands of the maker.

    > Yes. But it's still crap. Not from B&H, but from manufacturers who will

    not
    > accept equipment with a filled out warranty card. Would they have us think

    they
    > print exactly the same number of cards as they make cameras? It's a

    bullshit
    > requirement, but it's a bullshit requirement from the maker, not the

    retailer.

    So, many manufacturers now have "Register your Product on line" features on
    their Web sites.

    I have a drawer-full of blank warranty cards.

    So I register my new POS $600.00 camera on line, and then its defect is
    discovered.

    What now?

    Do I tell the seller it's registered? What happens to the seller if I send
    back the whole lashup and he replaces it with a new, functional one, THEN
    dicovers it is registered?

    Not that I've ever really needed replacement of a B&H item. Except once. I
    sent it and its blank warranty card back for exchange, pre-paid, they were
    "out of" the item and refunded me my original charge, including shipping,
    and the pre-paid shipping.

    Pain in the byew talks, but OK overall.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 11, 2003
  16. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Mark M Guest

    > > dealing with the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This is why I
    > > NEVER fill out warranty cards.

    > Another reason to not fill out warranty cards right away, is to wait until

    it
    > actually breaks after a few years, you will need to date it as if you

    bought it
    > only a month or two ago and print up a receipt to that effect. If you

    fill
    > out the warranty card when you get the camera, it won't be any good if the
    > camera breaks after a year is over.

    You are a dishonest punk.

    Mark M, Aug 11, 2003
  17. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Mark M Guest

    "Opentoe" <> wrote in message
    > I had this problem with another brand camera and dealt with

    Beachcamera.com
    > or buydig.com. Same company. They let me exchange the camera with or

    without
    > the warranty card present or not. Seek another dealer.

    This is only indicative of the improper tactics used by Beach Camera. They
    will likely sell the unit again to an unsuspecting customer...without the
    card.

    Mark M, Aug 11, 2003
  18. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Mark M Guest

    > > Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
    > > defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange

    the
    > > camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund

    simply
    > > because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.

    > That makes no sense as they will not be able to resell that defective

    camera
    > anyway. When the factory refurbishes it, it will get a new warranty

    card.
    > This action tells me they resell all of their returns as new items.

    Probably
    > why your camera doesn't work, it was broken by the last owner.
    >
    > > I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I

    can't
    > > return it because of that.

    > You CAN return it if you press it enough. The law is on your side in

    this
    > case. Don't let them get away with it.

    Once again...we have another person talking without knowledge.
    There is no such law.
    Either cite it, or quit making claims you can't substantiate.

    Mark M, Aug 11, 2003
  19. Jon Wordsworth wrote:
    >>I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
    >>return it because of that.

    > You CAN return it if you press it enough. The law is on your side in this
    > case. Don't let them get away with it.

    WHAT LAW? You people keep saying the "law is on our side". What law?
    Show it to us?

    Otherwise you are just full of shit. Which in your case is probably true.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 11, 2003
  20. Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

    Paul H. Guest

    "Andrew McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > Jon Wordsworth wrote:
    > >>dealing with the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This is why I
    > >>NEVER fill out warranty cards.

    > > Another reason to not fill out warranty cards right away, is to wait

    until it
    > > actually breaks after a few years, you will need to date it as if you

    bought it
    > > only a month or two ago and print up a receipt to that effect. If you

    fill
    > > out the warranty card when you get the camera, it won't be any good if

    the
    > > camera breaks after a year is over.

    > What a f--cking hypocrite you are. You complain about the "legality" of
    > merchants not following your imaginary law that they MUST replace
    > defective items and the promote the use of fraudulent practices to
    > "extend" your warranty period.
    >
    > How typical.

    He's not just a hypocrite, he's fooling himself. I've had to send my
    Olympus camera back for factory service and the first thing they required
    was a dated sales receipt to prove the camera was still under warranty; I
    assume most, if not all, manufacturers have the same requirement. Anyone
    can put whatever date he or she wants on the warranty card, but unless the
    sales receipt shows roughly the same date, the would-be cheater is gonna
    have to pony up the cash for repairs anyway.

    There are practical and legitimate reasons for merchants not to accept
    incomplete merchandise for return or exchange. For example, what if a store
    takes a camera back on a claim it's defective when it is not and the
    purchaser has already sent in the warranty card? The merchant can't sell the
    camera as new without the warranty card, so he has to spend all the time and
    trouble of contacting the manufacturer for instruction or guidance in the
    matter. Time is money, and the merchant may have even lost money on the
    sale by the time the matter is straightened out. That's not fair to the
    merchant, particularly so when the purchaser had a path which would have
    gotten the camera repaired.

    So if you've sent in the warranty card and discover a problem with your
    camera, just bite the damn bullet and send the camera back to the factory
    agent for warranty repairs. While it may feel good to vent, stamping your
    feet and screaming, "I wan't it now! I want it now!" isn't very becoming
    behaviour, even in children. Sometimes life doesn't always work out to
    everyone's satisfaction. I don't like it, either, but, hey, that's just the
    way it is.

    Paul H., Aug 11, 2003