    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    , Oct 4, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Oct 4, 2:54 pm, wrote:
    > Was Stargate: SG1 shot in HD?  What about the original Battlestar
    > Galactica-- was that HD-ready film, or video?
    >
    > I'm thinking about getting into these two shows, and I'd like to know
    > if it'd make sense to wait for BluRay releases, or if I should take
    > the plunge now.  Also, is there a reasonably accurate place to check
    > and see what format a show was shot in?  IMDB kind of lists that
    > information, but it's not as accurate as I'd like.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Aaron J. Bossig
    >
    > http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    Anything shot on 35mm film should be "ready for BluRay" as the native
    resolution of 35mm film is already considerably higher than BluRay.
    Some scifi shows run into trouble, such as Star Trek the Next
    Generation, which was filmed in 35mm, but the special effects outside
    of the 2hr pilot were rendered at a standard NTSC resolution. I've
    read that all 7 seasons worth of special effects would have to be
    "redone" to put out ST:TNG as a high def release. I have the orginal
    Battlestar Galactica on DVD and it looks great, like any movie of the
    same era. I would imagine that it was shot on 35mm and the effects
    rendered on 35mm so it should be ready to go. As for SG1, I picked up
    the complete 10 season box set for $116, brand new. Can't beat that.
    They look a little grainy to me, even upconverted, so I wonder if they
    were shot on 16mm film to save money. That might present a problem
    with any future BluRay releases. Given the price, I'm quite content
    to have gone with DVD in that case.

    -beaumon

    , Oct 13, 2008