    We aim to install several Wireless Access Points around the school,
    should they all be set to the same channel e.g. Ch 6 - or should each
    Access Point have a different channel?

    SteBar, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
    channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 26, 2006

  3. SteBar

    SteBar Guest

    Al - thanks for the prompt reply, but what is the reasoning behind using
    different channels on each Access Point?

    SteBar, Jan 26, 2006
  4. SteBar

    Dave Guest

    that minimizes rf interferance between the access points where they overlap
    coverage. and the clients will search all the frequencies for the access
    points anyway.

    Dave, Jan 26, 2006
  5. SteBar

    SteBar Guest

    Dave - thanks for that, but am I right in assuming that if a client
    (Laptop PC) is "in between" several Access Points, it will search for
    and connect to the Access Point with the strongest signal?

    SteBar, Jan 27, 2006
  6. SteBar

    Frankster Guest

    > Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
    > channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.

    Hi Al,

    From what I hear, Windows Zero Configuration has mucho trouble when
    presented with multiple points with the same SSID. Wouldn't it be better to
    use different SSIDS? Just curious.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 27, 2006