  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    whats the best server that has the microsoft groups?
    Jason, Nov 23, 2010

  2. Jason

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > whats the best server that has the microsoft groups?

    A better or more relevant question is which ones stopped carrying them
    when Microsoft dropped them from Microsoft's server and later when
    Microsoft killed off their NNTP server. It's possible that some NSPs
    dropped the microsoft.public.* groups but it's not likely. Giganews,
    Google Groups, albasani, eternal-september, and even AIOE (the one you
    are using). NSPs didn't cancel those groups and they continue to peer
    them between each other in the worldwide mesh network of Usenet of which
    Microsoft was just one node.

    You posted using AIOE. More likely your problem is with the behavior
    (policies) established for that particular NSP. Lots of users complain
    about oddball behavior with AIOE. I left them a l-o-n-g time ago
    because of the measly 25 posts maximum per day quota. Their own web
    pages contradict each other regarding their policies (e.g., max groups
    in a cross-posted message). Just go to a different free NSP if you
    don't like how AIOE behaves. If all you see are the aioe.* groups when
    connecting to their server then you forgot to reset the groups list in
    your newsreader (to retrieve a list of all groups currently available).

    Telnet into AIOE (telnet news.aioe.org 119) and use the 'listgroup'
    command to find the group you are looking for, like:

    listgroup microsoft.public.outlook.general

    The group name must match one of those reported by the list command.

    list

    will show you ALL the groups available on that server. Alas that means
    having to eyeball the list as it scrolls by very quickly. Use the 'list
    newsgroups' command with wildcarding to show just some of them, as in:

    list newsgroups microsoft.public.*

    The wildmat pattern lets you specify more than one group; see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildmat on how to use wildcard matching.

    You'll find LOTS of Microsoft groups are still there and will be until a
    huge percentage of NSPs choose to stop peering those groups (not likely
    for a very long time).

    You can ask over in the alt.free.newsservers group which of the free
    ones is best for you. The one you are already using already carries the
    Microsoft newsgroups.
    VanguardLH, Nov 23, 2010

  3. Eternal-september seems to be as good as any, and is free.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Nov 23, 2010
  4. Jason

    VanguardLH Guest

    R. C. White wrote:

    > My ISP (Grande Communications, based here in San Marcos, TX) uses Giganews
    > (I think). When I get the list of newsgroups, I see more than 100,000.
    > When I limit that to "microsoft.public", I still see over 4,000 groups.
    > Probably more than half are in languages other than English (.jp, .de,
    > etc.), but there are thousands in English, too. Even a list limited to
    > "microsoft.public.windows" produces over 300 hits.
    >
    > We can't answer the OP's question as to "the best server". Much of that
    > depends on what is available to him, and at what price - or what he is
    > able/willing to pay. But there is no shortage of Microsoft Windows NGs
    > available on some server somewhere, at some price.

    I tested using the mentioned "list newsgroups microsoft.public.*"
    command when telnetting into /*his*/ NNTP server of current choice
    (AIOE) and there were LOTS of matching newsgroups. I didn't bother
    trying to count them but it took quite a while to scroll through the
    output. Hell, he even used his current NNTP to post into this Microsoft
    newsgroup!

    There is a problem or policy that he doesn't like at AIOE and the real
    cause for his desire to move to a different NSP. Maybe he doesn't like
    that NSP's policies regarding anti-abuse, anti-spam, excessive cross-
    posting, max size of posts, or flooding. He has yet to define what is
    his concept of "best" for an NNTP server or what is "bad" about his
    current NSP that *does* carry the microsoft.public.* groups.
    VanguardLH, Nov 23, 2010
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    that one only lists about 10 newsgroups
    AIOE seems to have a problem with existing message size so i just delete
    the old text. Other than that i couldn't find windows7. found it now.

    Jason, Nov 24, 2010
  6. Jason

    XS11E Guest

    Jason <> wrote:

    > that one only lists about 10 newsgroups

    Because you're not signed in, I see about 30,000 groups on Eternal
    September

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Nov 24, 2010
  7. Jason

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > Charlie Russel-MVP wrote:
    >
    >> Eternal-september seems to be as good as any, and is free.

    > that one only lists about 10 newsgroups

    ES is a free NSP. That doesn't mean you get anonymous access. You have
    to register to get an account and then configure your newsreader to use
    that account with that NNTP server. It's free but still registered.
    Unregistered users just get to see the default groups list. Free access
    is NOT the same as free of registration.

    Did you read the instructions on their web site?

    http://eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq#Login-No-Auth

    After you registered and entered the login credentials into the ES
    account you defined in your newsreader, did you yet refresh the groups
    list so you can actually see them?

    http://eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq#RefreshGroupList

    Start here to *register* to use the free ES server, and then define an
    NNTP server in your newsreader that uses the login credentials for your
    account:

    http://eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

    The e-mail must be valid (but could be a temp or discardable email
    account, like Hotmail or Gmail, or an alias to points to your true
    e-mail address, like using Sneakemail). You register, select a
    username, and they send the password to the e-mail address you gave.

    > AIOE seems to have a problem with existing message size so i just
    > delete the old text.

    AIOE, like almost all free NSPs, only provides access to the text-only
    newsgroups. Binaries are not included because the porn simply occupies
    too much disk space and consumes a huge portion of the bandwidth for the
    Internet connection to these free-service hosts. They can't remain free
    by having multiple concurrent redundant T3 connects to a backbone ISP to
    have a huge bandwidth available for all those porn downloading users.

    AIOE publishes their policies on their web site; however, conflict with
    each other because some pages have not been updated. You're claiming
    that your replies are over 32KB in total size (with the headers
    exceeding 2KB)? If so, you obviously need to get engrained in the
    practice of trimming the quoted content in your replies to provide only
    the context that is sufficient for your reply. Except for very short
    quoted content, you are expected to trim it before submitting your
    reply. Top-posters are typically very lazy and, as such, rarely trim
    their replies. All the garbage is under their reply and they only focus
    on their new content and not on all what others have to look at.

    Stop just slapping your new content into your reply and leaving tons of
    garbage shoved in it that isn't relevant to your reply. Trim and review
    your post BEFORE submitting it.

    From AIOE's web site:

    - Each IP address is authorized to post 25 messages per day.
    - Max of 10 messages within each 10-minute interval.
    - Posting rights are suspended for 24 hours if more than three messages
    are rejected in a day.
    - Each post must be sent to less than four groups (crosspost) and each
    one can include at most three followup groups.
    - Maximum allowed size is 32 KB per article and 2 KB per header.
    - Only two concurrent connections per IP address are allowed and 400
    connections per day are accepted from each IP address.

    You really think anyone wants to read 32KB of new and old content in a
    post? As long as is my reply, it is still only 3,692 bytes in total
    size for new and old content. The deeper the thread the more likely you
    will exceed their max size for your reply. 5KB is considered a big
    post. 15KB is huge. 32KB is ridiculous. If you include old content
    from others, it's still in YOUR reply so it's still your post.

    Learn to trim. It's expected. It's polite.
    VanguardLH, Nov 24, 2010