Seven Steps to a Vital Videoconference

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by shopzero.net, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. shopzero.net

    shopzero.net Guest

    http://www.shopzero.net/article/videoconferencing/2866.php

    When it's time for your fifteen minutes of fame will you be ready? With
    videoconferencing becoming common place in 21st century communication,
    executives, entrepreneurs, and leaders need to be media savvy. Here's
    how to put your best face forward:

    1. Prepare. It's not enough to show up to speak. Practice with the
    technology an hour before your presentation and rehearse your message
    points. Don't wing it.

    2. Pause and Listen. Expect time delays. A weak video signal could
    cause a delay or echo. Allow ample time for your message to reach the
    other site and wait for a response before you resume making new
    remarks.

    3. Use Small Gestures. Actions are amplified on videoconference. Wild,
    sweeping movements can result in distorted, fuzzy images.

    4. Appoint a Moderator. The moderator facilitates the meeting,
    introduces guests, and keeps the presentation movoing. The moderator or
    a designated person operates the technology to free speakers to focus
    on the message.

    5. Dress for TV. Avoid distracting jewelry, shiny clothing, and large,
    bold patterns. Keep another shirt or blouse in the office for late day
    videoconferences. Perspiration stains and wrinkles will be noticeable
    on video. Keep powder handy for shiny noses and bald spots.

    6. Create a Connection. Begin with hello. The wave is a standard
    greeting in videoconferencing. Use the zoom function on the camera to
    establish eye contact. It's difficult to communicate without viewing
    facial expressions from the remote site.

    7. Minimize Distractions. Keep noise down by restricitng movement in
    and out of the room. Turn off all beepers and cell phones at the
    beginning of the meeting. Place a "Do Not Enter" sign on the door and
    change activities frequently to maintain attention and avoid the
    boredom factor.

    Nothing can replace in-person communication. But if you master the
    techniques of online communication, videoconferencing is the next best
    thing to being there.

    http://www.shopzero.net/article/videoconferencing/2866.php
    shopzero.net, Jul 24, 2006

  2. shopzero.net wrote:

    > http://www.shopzero.net/article/videoconferencing/2866.php
    >
    > When it's time for your fifteen minutes of fame will you be ready? With
    > videoconferencing becoming common place in 21st century communication,
    > executives, entrepreneurs, and leaders need to be media savvy. Here's
    > how to put your best face forward:
    >
    > 1. Prepare. It's not enough to show up to speak. Practice with the
    > technology an hour before your presentation and rehearse your message
    > points. Don't wing it.
    >
    > 2. Pause and Listen. Expect time delays. A weak video signal could
    > cause a delay or echo. Allow ample time for your message to reach the
    > other site and wait for a response before you resume making new
    > remarks.
    >
    > 3. Use Small Gestures. Actions are amplified on videoconference. Wild,
    > sweeping movements can result in distorted, fuzzy images.

    4. Don't be dopey enough to forget what you're doing and talk to DVD
    groups instead.

    Derek Janssen (that will kill you in the corporate marketplace, trust me)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 24, 2006

  3. shopzero.net

    myvideotalk2u

    Joined: