Setup of new Wireless-G Access Point

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tim, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in preparation
    of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
    wireless networks, so I have a few questions.

    My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
    workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.

    The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is setup
    to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set it
    up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.

    On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify the
    IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the IP
    Address to my network's Router?

    Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my local
    network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it and
    not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
    power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
    address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the Access
    Point?

    Thanks for any info you provide!

    Tim
    Tim, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Tim

    Frank Guest

    If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than as a
    router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
    gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired network.
    Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
    workstations.

    -Frank

    Frank, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Ahhh that answers my question. So basically it's a "wireless hub", and my
    wireless workstations will receive an IP from my main router (or Win2k
    server, if/when I decide to implement that option of DHCP).

    This AP I have is an Access Point only, it doesn't have a router/DHCP
    function built into it. My "goal" was to save a bit of money and not have to
    buy a brand new router, as the one I have now isn't even 2 months old yet.

    Thanks for the info

    Tim

    Tim, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Tim

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
    http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

    So if you do not need the extras of an AP buy a Wireless Router.

    Setting up Wireless: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 18, 2004
  5. Tim

    Tim Guest

    > An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

    Ahhh I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Router with "Speedboost", and
    it was $150 at office depot from what I remember, then I saw the Wireless-G
    access point also by Linksys for $80. That's where I got my "cheaper" idea
    from. But still, the AP should be better for me... as my cable modem and
    router are in one room, and I can plug the AP into a wall port in one of my
    other rooms that would be closer to where I'd be using the laptop most of
    the time (and it'd be closer to the rear of my house so if I want to go out
    back and enjoy it, I'd be free there too :))
    Tim, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Tim

    Jack Guest

    Hi.
    You can find the "SpeedBooster" for half of the price that you saw.
    However under the circumstances. I.e setting the AP in another room you are
    better off with AP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 18, 2004
  7. Tim

    Bob D Guest

    I am having trouble installing the same unit (WAP54G).
    Since the device has an assigned IP address, I assume that
    you should be able to ping it, but I cannot even from the
    wired network. Shouldn't I be able to?

    --
    Bob D

    Bob D, Jul 18, 2004
  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Yes, you should. Default IP for it is 192.168.1.245 with subnet mask of
    255.255.255.0, so I guess the first thing is to make sure your wired network
    is setup on the same subnet as well as having 192.168.1.x ip addresses
    setup... (at least I would think that's how it is... haha)

    What IP's are setup on your network as it is now?

    Tim, Jul 18, 2004