Setup of Microtek scanner on laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by flomers@stupid.net, May 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi, I have a Toshiba Satelite 45 laptop running Windows XP Pro and I want to
    connect my Microtek ScanMaker 4800 scanner to it that I have used with my
    desktop computer for a couple of years without any problems. For some
    reason, my laptop computer knows it is attached but will not run it. When I
    check in my hardware list in "System", it shows the scanner but has a yellow
    exclamation mark and question mark over it. I thought that maybe I needed to
    download the drivers for it so I went to Microtek and downloaded them. I
    then unzipped them and ran them. I placed the drivers in a program folder
    named Microtek. I did a restart (several times) but to no avail. All of my
    hardware cables and USB cable are properly connected. And, finally, the
    scanner is plugged in to a wall outlet which has power to it. The desktop
    computer was running the same OS and the scanner connected to it in the
    exact same manner. The scanner lights up now but when I try to scan
    something, nothing happens. Also, the scanner icon is shown on my bottom
    taskbar but with a red circle and line through it indicationg that it is not
    operating. The scanner is properly connected to the computer via a USB
    cable.
    So, does anyone have any useful ideas that I might try to get the darn thing
    to work with my laptop? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

    Thank you,
    Joe

    , May 26, 2005

  2. Basil Fawlty Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a Toshiba Satelite 45 laptop running Windows XP Pro and I want
    > connect my Microtek ScanMaker 4800 scanner to it that I have used with my
    > desktop computer for a couple of years without any problems. For some
    > reason, my laptop computer knows it is attached but will not run it. When
    > check in my hardware list in "System", it shows the scanner but has a
    > yellow
    > exclamation mark and question mark over it. I thought that maybe I needed
    > download the drivers for it so I went to Microtek and downloaded them. I
    > then unzipped them and ran them. I placed the drivers in a program folder
    > named Microtek. I did a restart (several times) but to no avail. All of my
    > hardware cables and USB cable are properly connected. And, finally, the
    > scanner is plugged in to a wall outlet which has power to it. The desktop
    > computer was running the same OS and the scanner connected to it in the
    > exact same manner. The scanner lights up now but when I try to scan
    > something, nothing happens. Also, the scanner icon is shown on my bottom
    > taskbar but with a red circle and line through it indicationg that it is
    > not
    > operating. The scanner is properly connected to the computer via a USB
    > cable.
    > So, does anyone have any useful ideas that I might try to get the darn
    > thing
    > to work with my laptop? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Joe

    Try this.........
    GoTo: Start/Settings/Control panel
    Click on the Icon for your printer/fax
    In the dialog that appears-
    RIGHT click the actual printer icon when it appears and select "Properties"
    Then in dialog, select the "Port" tab.
    Your Printer should be assigned the first port listed.
    Click to place a tick in the box immediately below it. (The second port
    listed)
    Click "Apply", followed by "Okay"
    Close All windows and REBOOT
    It should now work
    Note, this for XP only

    Basil Fawlty, May 26, 2005

  3. Guest

    You said: Try this.........
    GoTo: Start/Settings/Control panel
    Click on the Icon for your printer/fax
    In the dialog that appears-
    RIGHT click the actual printer icon when it appears and select "Properties"
    Then in dialog, select the "Port" tab.
    Your Printer should be assigned the first port listed.
    Click to place a tick in the box immediately below it. (The second port
    listed)
    Click "Apply", followed by "Okay"
    Close All windows and REBOOT
    It should now work

    It's my scanner. Not my printer. My printer works fine. Will your help fit
    my problem even though it is my scanner we're talking about?
    , May 26, 2005
  4. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I have a Toshiba Satelite 45 laptop running Windows XP Pro and I want to
    > connect my Microtek ScanMaker 4800 scanner to it that I have used with my
    > desktop computer for a couple of years without any problems. For some
    > reason, my laptop computer knows it is attached but will not run it. When I
    > check in my hardware list in "System", it shows the scanner but has a yellow
    > exclamation mark and question mark over it. I thought that maybe I needed to
    > download the drivers for it so I went to Microtek and downloaded them. I
    > then unzipped them and ran them. I placed the drivers in a program folder
    > named Microtek. I did a restart (several times) but to no avail. All of my
    > hardware cables and USB cable are properly connected. And, finally, the
    > scanner is plugged in to a wall outlet which has power to it. The desktop
    > computer was running the same OS and the scanner connected to it in the
    > exact same manner. The scanner lights up now but when I try to scan
    > something, nothing happens. Also, the scanner icon is shown on my bottom
    > taskbar but with a red circle and line through it indicationg that it is not
    > operating. The scanner is properly connected to the computer via a USB
    > cable.
    > So, does anyone have any useful ideas that I might try to get the darn thing
    > to work with my laptop? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Joe

    Some ideas here, perhaps:

    "How to Troubleshoot Hardware Problems with Device Manager"

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/devicemgr.mspx
    SgtMinor, May 26, 2005