    Any help and links to information resources is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Apr 6, 2006

  2. On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:16:01 -0700, Mike
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Is it possible to configure a Windows machine (2k3, XP, Vista...) as a
    >Wireless Access Point with native software? Or can machines only operate as
    >clients?

    Look up "Ad Hoc"
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessfaqs/f/adhocwireless.htm

    AFAIK this is dependant on the WiFi card driver. Most can do this.

    Curious George, Apr 6, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    I assume you are talking about using a Wireless Client Card as an AP by
    using special software.
    Yes it is possible, however the software costs more than a physical Access
    Point, and a Physical Access Point is performing much better. Further more,
    a Wireless Cable/DSL used as an Access Point can be found for the same price
    as a good Wireless Card. ( http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Possible, but depends on hardware you're using.
    Following links might give you some ideas.

    - http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t12103.html
    - http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-February/001445.html

    If your wireless chip supports "Master Mode", then it is
    technically feasible. However, whether it's available or
    not depends on existence of supporting software. It seems
    at least Prism2 chip has supporting software on Windows.

    I'd rather dual-boot into Linux as tweaking WiFi device is
    much easier (and well standardized/supported) in this case...

    --
    Taisuke Yamada <>, http://rakugaki.org/
    2268 E9A2 D4F9 014E F11D 1DF7 DCA3 83BC 78E5 CD3A

    Message to my public address may not be handled in a timely manner.
    For a direct contact, please use my private address on my namecard.

    Taisuke Yamada, Apr 7, 2006