Setup for Cisco Aironet 1131ag

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by James Ellis, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. James Ellis

    James Ellis Guest

    Hello all,

    I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out
    doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going.
    Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance.

    I am running several Mac laptops and PCs.
    I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router
    will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP
    with no luck.
     
    James Ellis, Oct 7, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. James Ellis <> writes:
    >I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out
    >doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going.
    >Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance.


    >I am running several Mac laptops and PCs.
    >I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router
    >will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP
    >with no luck.


    Have you read the quick start and installation guides?

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/prod_installation_guides_list.html

    Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your
    Netopia router.

    If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP,
    and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password
    recovery.

    Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a
    box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can
    do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will
    then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built
    item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not
    coast and do the advanced stuff later.
     
    Doug McIntyre, Oct 8, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. James Ellis

    James Ellis Guest

    On Oct 8, 11:25 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > James Ellis <> writes:
    > >I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out
    > >doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going.
    > >Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance.
    > >I am running several Mac laptops and PCs.
    > >I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router
    > >will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP
    > >with no luck.

    >
    > Have you read the quick start and installation guides?
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/prod_installation_guides_l...
    >
    > Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your
    > Netopia router.
    >
    > If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP,
    > and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password
    > recovery.
    >
    > Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a
    > box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can
    > do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will
    > then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built
    > item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not
    > coast and do the advanced stuff later.


    Thanks for the info. I am working to figure this thing out.
     
    James Ellis, Oct 8, 2009
    #3
  4. James Ellis

    James Ellis Guest

    On Oct 12, 12:16 pm, Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    > ~ On Oct 8, 11:25 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > ~ > James Ellis <> writes:
    > ~ > >I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out
    > ~ > >doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going.
    > ~ > >Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance.
    > ~ > >I am running several Mac laptops and PCs.
    > ~ > >I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router
    > ~ > >will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP
    > ~ > >with no luck.
    > ~ >
    > ~ > Have you read the quick start and installation guides?
    > ~ >
    > ~ >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/prod_installation_guides_l....
    > ~ >
    > ~ > Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your
    > ~ > Netopia router.
    > ~ >
    > ~ > If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP,
    > ~ > and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password
    > ~ > recovery.
    > ~ >
    > ~ > Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a
    > ~ > box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can
    > ~ > do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will
    > ~ > then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built
    > ~ > item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not
    > ~ > coast and do the advanced stuff later.
    > ~
    > ~ Thanks for the info. I am working to figure this thing out.
    >
    > Here's a basic config that should work for you (assuming that you
    > are starting with factory defaults):
    >
    > dot11 ssid BOOF
    >    authentication open
    >    authentication key-management wpa
    >    guest-mode
    >    wpa-psk ascii 0 BOOFBOOF
    >
    > interface Dot11Radio0
    >  encryption mode ciphers aes tkip
    >  station-role root
    >  ssid BOOF
    >  channel <g>
    >  no shutdown
    >
    > interface Dot11Radio1
    >  channel <a>
    >  (rest a la Dot11Radio0)
    >
    > interface BVI1
    >  ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0
    >
    > For <g>, pick one of 1, 6, 11, according to which is least used in
    > your location.
    >
    > For <a>, I'd probably pick 149 or 153, unless I had a reason to
    > pick something different.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Aaron


    Thanks man this helps! but my netopia will not assign my AP a IP
    address.
     
    James Ellis, Oct 16, 2009
    #4
  5. James Ellis

    James Ellis Guest

    On Oct 19, 11:22 am, Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:14:26 -0700 (PDT), James Ellis <> wrote:
    >
    > ~ On Oct 12, 12:16 pm, Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    > ~ > ~ On Oct 8, 11:25 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > ~ > ~ > James Ellis <> writes:
    > ~ > ~ > >I bought a 1131ag in hopes to get Secure Wireless in my house and out
    > ~ > ~ > >doors. I have a very simple setup and need to get this up and going.
    > ~ > ~ > >Below I will post my setup. Thanks for your help in advance.
    > ~ > ~ > >I am running several Mac laptops and PCs.
    > ~ > ~ > >I have qwest DSL with there Modem and router. Its a Netopia router
    > ~ > ~ > >will this asssign a IP to my 1131? I have tried to connect to the AP
    > ~ > ~ > >with no luck.
    > ~ > ~ >
    > ~ > ~ > Have you read the quick start and installation guides?
    > ~ > ~ >
    > ~ > ~ >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/prod_installation_guides_l...
    > ~ > ~ >
    > ~ > ~ > Yes, the AP should be able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from your
    > ~ > ~ > Netopia router.
    > ~ > ~ >
    > ~ > ~ > If this device is used, it may not be setup to aquire things via DHCP,
    > ~ > ~ > and you'll probably have to hookup over a console port and do password
    > ~ > ~ > recovery.
    > ~ > ~ >
    > ~ > ~ > Cisco's aren't the easiest things to setup, they are more akin to a
    > ~ > ~ > box of tools, rather than a single purpose built item, and thus can
    > ~ > ~ > do quitealot, but you have to learn how to use the tool first. It will
    > ~ > ~ > then let you setup things quite advanced that the single-purpose built
    > ~ > ~ > item never imagined, but you have to know how to get there first, not
    > ~ > ~ > coast and do the advanced stuff later.
    > ~ > ~
    > ~ > ~ Thanks for the info. I am working to figure this thing out.
    > ~ >
    > ~ > Here's a basic config that should work for you (assuming that you
    > ~ > are starting with factory defaults):
    > ~ >
    > ~ > dot11 ssid BOOF
    > ~ >    authentication open
    > ~ >    authentication key-management wpa
    > ~ >    guest-mode
    > ~ >    wpa-psk ascii 0 BOOFBOOF
    > ~ >
    > ~ > interface Dot11Radio0
    > ~ >  encryption mode ciphers aes tkip
    > ~ >  station-role root
    > ~ >  ssid BOOF
    > ~ >  channel <g>
    > ~ >  no shutdown
    > ~ >
    > ~ > interface Dot11Radio1
    > ~ >  channel <a>
    > ~ >  (rest a la Dot11Radio0)
    > ~ >
    > ~ > interface BVI1
    > ~ >  ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0
    > ~ >
    > ~ > For <g>, pick one of 1, 6, 11, according to which is least used in
    > ~ > your location.
    > ~ >
    > ~ > For <a>, I'd probably pick 149 or 153, unless I had a reason to
    > ~ > pick something different.
    > ~ >
    > ~ > Cheers,
    > ~ >
    > ~ > Aaron
    > ~
    > ~ Thanks man this helps! but my netopia will not assign my AP a IP
    > ~ address.
    >
    > I wonder why not?
    >
    > On the AP side, you can do this (from the console):
    >
    > ap#debug dhcp
    > ap#conf t
    > ap(config)#int bvi1
    > ap(config-if)#shut
    > ap(config-if)#no shut
    >
    > This will cause the AP to request a new DHCP lease.
    >
    > If the AP is sending its DHCP Discover to your DHCP server,
    > but if the DHCP server isn't replying, then the next step would
    > be to run debugs on the DHCP server to find out why it's not
    > working.
    >
    > Oh some other things to check:
    >
    > - check good ole layer 1.  On the AP, do a "show int Fast0"
    > and make sure that it's UP/UP.
    >
    > - assuming that you LAN link has link status, you could try
    > manually giving the AP an unused IP addr from the router's LAN
    > interface's subnet, and see if AP and router can ping each other.
    >
    > Hth,
    >
    > Aaron


    Hello Aaron,
    The problem is I can not get connected to the AP. So I have no
    console access.
     
    James Ellis, Oct 21, 2009
    #5
  6. James Ellis <> writes:
    >The problem is I can not get connected to the AP. So I have no
    >console access.


    Okay stepping back quite a ways here.

    Cisco gear first and foremost depends on a serial console port that is
    built into every box, and has since forever. Any other management
    techniques like web gui, telnet, ssh, etc. are secondary. If things
    aren't working (because I'm assuming this is a used box, not setup with
    factory default so the easy startup docs aren't right), you will
    *need* to use a serial console.

    If things aren't factory default, and aren't popping up for you, you
    need to be on the system serial console to debug and troubleshoot the
    issue, as this is the primary system connection. There's no return box
    to factory settings button, cisco's aren't built that way.

    You will need to get a blue cisco console cable (if it was new, it
    comes with one, if used, you might have to make or obtain one, sounds
    like you should spend the $5 on eBay to get one). You will also need a
    serial port on your computer. If your computer doesn't have a serial
    port, like many that don't, you will need a USB to serial dongle
    adapter. Any will do that has the correct drivers for your OS that you
    run, although I recommend Keyspan as being a rock solid one.

    On the 1131AG, the console port is right next to the ethernet port
    under the sliding top cover, and is ringed in blue. You plug the
    console cable in, and runup a terminal emulation program such as
    hyperterm against that USB COM port using 9600 baud, No parity, 1 stop bit.

    Power on the AP, and you should see ROMMON doing a power-on-self-test
    of the system, and then start booting IOS. Eventually you should be at
    a prompt where you can do the things that Aaron and others have asked
    you to check.

    Sorry, there really is no other way to do things, this is the way
    Cisco boxes have worked since the start.
    After this, you will have access on the console and can do the
    commands being asked.
     
    Doug McIntyre, Oct 21, 2009
    #6
  7. James Ellis

    James Ellis Guest

    On Oct 21, 11:45 am, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > James Ellis <> writes:
    > >The problem is I can not get connected to the AP.  So I have no
    > >console access.

    >
    > Okay stepping back quite a ways here.
    >
    > Cisco gear first and foremost depends on a serial console port that is
    > built into every box, and has since forever. Any other management
    > techniques like web gui, telnet, ssh, etc. are secondary. If things
    > aren't working (because I'm assuming this is a used box, not setup with
    > factory default so the easy startup docs aren't right), you will
    > *need* to use a serial console.
    >
    > If things aren't factory default, and aren't popping up for you, you
    > need to be on the system serial console to debug and troubleshoot the
    > issue, as this is the primary system connection. There's no return box
    > to factory settings button, cisco's aren't built that way.
    >
    > You will need to get a blue cisco console cable (if it was new, it
    > comes with one, if used, you might have to make or obtain one, sounds
    > like you should spend the $5 on eBay to get one). You will also need a
    > serial port on your computer. If your computer doesn't have a serial
    > port, like many that don't, you will need a USB to serial dongle
    > adapter. Any will do that has the correct drivers for your OS that you
    > run, although I recommend Keyspan as being a rock solid one.
    >
    > On the 1131AG, the console port is right next to the ethernet port
    > under the sliding top cover, and is ringed in blue. You plug the
    > console cable in, and runup a terminal emulation program such as
    > hyperterm against that USB COM port using 9600 baud, No parity, 1 stop bit.
    >
    > Power on the AP, and you should see ROMMON doing a power-on-self-test
    > of the system, and then start booting IOS. Eventually you should be at
    > a prompt where you can do the things that Aaron and others have asked
    > you to check.
    >
    > Sorry, there really is no other way to do things, this is the way
    > Cisco boxes have worked since the start.
    > After this, you will have access on the console and can do the
    > commands being asked.


    This is exactly what I was thinking just have to come up with one of
    those cables. Thanks Again
     
    James Ellis, Oct 21, 2009
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andre Paetzold

    Aironet 1200 and Aironet 1300 compatible?

    Andre Paetzold, Dec 8, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    911
    Andre Paetzold
    Dec 9, 2004
  2. Sven Juergensen

    aironet <-> aironet bridging?

    Sven Juergensen, Dec 15, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    487
    Walter Roberson
    Dec 16, 2004
  3. Anon
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    779
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,528
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. JunkBox

    Cant Config t 1131ag AIRONET

    JunkBox, Mar 29, 2010, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,025
    JunkBox
    Mar 29, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page