    and get the following critical error:

    "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
    is newer than the version on the CD."
    WinXP_Powered, Feb 26, 2006

  2. WinXP_Powered

    smackedass Guest

    > and get the following critical error:
    >
    > "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
    > newer than the version on the CD."

    What drive is the F: drive?

    From what type of disk are you attempting to install the Recovery Console?

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 26, 2006

  3. smackedass wrote:
    >> and get the following critical error:
    >>
    >> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
    >> newer than the version on the CD."

    > What drive is the F: drive?
    >
    > From what type of disk are you attempting to install the Recovery Console?
    >
    > smackedass

    The F: drive is my CD drive. I was doing exactly what the Help and
    Support article below says to do.

    To install the Recovery Console as a startup option

    1. With Windows running, insert the Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive.

    2. Click Start and select Run.

    3. Type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter:

    D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

    4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

    ==========================

    Any ideas, Smacked, would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    John
    WinXP_Powered, Feb 26, 2006
  4. WinXP_Powered

    smackedass Guest

    > Any ideas, Smacked, would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John

    I can't really wrap my brain around this right now, gotta get ready for
    supper, but see if there's anything here that may help:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897008

    sa
    smackedass, Feb 26, 2006
  5. smackedass wrote:
    >> Any ideas, Smacked, would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> John

    > I can't really wrap my brain around this right now, gotta get ready for
    > supper, but see if there's anything here that may help:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897008
    >
    > sa

    -------------------------
    How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP
    installation folder

    ----------------

    Trying this now. This should work.
    WinXP_Powered, Feb 26, 2006
  6. WinXP_Powered wrote:
    > OS: Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and all the latest Windows Updates.
    >
    > When trying to install the Recovery Console, I enter:
    >
    > F:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons
    >
    > and get the following critical error:
    >
    > "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
    > is newer than the version on the CD."

    You can find a good thread on my question and the solution I received at
    the Microsoft news server:

    at any one of these newsgroups:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

    John
    WinXP_Powered, Feb 26, 2006