    BTW, the failure mode for SATA not present really bites ! There
    should be an error screen, not a BSOD !!!!

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, May 26, 2005

  2. If this is over an existing installation of XP x64 such as a beta, try doing
    a clean install.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 26, 2005

  3. This file is merely part of the Windows XP animated tour - It can be
    ignored although you shouldn't be getting this error to begin with...

    Is your media scratched/dirty?

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 26, 2005
  4. yes, the failure mode for all versions of Windows NT since 3.1 when it can't
    find the HD has been that same ugly BSOD with no warning. You'd think by now
    that would have improved, but it certainly hasn't. (Been there, done that,
    spent the next hour hunting up newer drivers and trying to find another
    floppy drive to copy them to.)

    I'd be concerned about either the media you have, or the CD/DVD drive. You
    shouldn't be getting copy errors at this point in the process.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  5. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > If this is over an existing installation of XP x64 such as a beta, try doing a clean install.

    This is a brand new dual Opteron PC. The only trick is that I formatted
    the WD 74 GB Raptor drive as FAT32.

    This is the RTM version of WIndows 64 that I downloaded from MSDN.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, May 26, 2005
  6. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > This file is merely part of the Windows XP animated tour - It can be ignored although you shouldn't be getting this error to begin
    > with...

    Good. Windows XP 64 seems to be running OK without it.

    > Is your media scratched/dirty?

    Nope. Brand new Plextor PX-716SA DAD/CD burner. The CD
    blank is clean.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, May 26, 2005
  7. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > yes, the failure mode for all versions of Windows NT since 3.1 when it can't find the HD has been that same ugly BSOD with no
    > warning. You'd think by now that would have improved, but it certainly hasn't. (Been there, done that, spent the next hour hunting
    > up newer drivers and trying to find another floppy drive to copy them to.)

    Yup, very unprofessional for MS. I am surprised that they still have this
    problem in this day and time.

    > I'd be concerned about either the media you have, or the CD/DVD drive. You shouldn't be getting copy errors at this point in the
    > process.

    I burned the CD myself on my Windows XP 32 PC using a Plextor PX-716A
    drive that is only a couple of months old.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, May 26, 2005
  8. Try burning the ISO again at a low speed such as 16x.

    Andre Da Costa, May 26, 2005
  9. FAT32 is highly NOT recommended, FWIW. But it shouldn't affect this
    particular issue.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  10. I would re-burn it. (and the age isn't the only consideration, though I admit
    I've rarely if ever had a problem with a Plextor drive.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  11. Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
    (Been there, done that,
    > spent the next hour hunting up newer drivers and trying to find another
    > floppy drive to copy them to.)

    Yep, been there to, trying to hunt through piles of junk untouched for
    years, just to find a FDD, so I can get Microsoft's latest and greatest
    operating system up and running. A very bad joke...

    Mark Gillespie, May 26, 2005
  12. At one time, I used to have boxes and boxes and boxes of old diskettes that I
    could recycle. Heck, one beta round of Word Perfect Office for Windows was
    something like 40 floppies. Piece of tape over the key hole, and format away.
    Now, when I need a floppy, I have to dig it out from an old box of junk in
    the back of the server room.

    Rumour has it that Longhorn will FINALLY do away with the F6 floppy
    requirement, giving you more choices. One can only hope.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  13. Lynn McGuire

    bosshogg Guest

    I tried 4 times burning the ISO with nero and everytime it was missing a
    file somewhere or just didnt work. Used Alcohol 120 and worked great first
    time.

    bosshogg, May 27, 2005
  14. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > Rumour has it that Longhorn will FINALLY do away with the F6 floppy requirement, giving you more choices. One can only hope.

    Finally ! This is totally crazy to have an installation program locked to
    a minimal set of hardware just crash with no warning and diagnostics
    whatsoever.

    If nothing else, just default to a generic set of IDE drivers.

    Thanks,
    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, May 27, 2005
  15. Actually, if you have a generic IDE, or a directly supported SCSI adapter,
    you're fine. There actually _is_ an alternative -- you can modify the image
    by "slipstreaming" the drivers you need into it. A nuisance, but not terribly
    difficult, and worth the effort if one has more than one or two machines to
    do, or one really just doesn't have an available floppy.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  16. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > Actually, if you have a generic IDE, or a directly supported SCSI adapter, you're fine. There actually _is_ an alternative -- you
    > can modify the image by "slipstreaming" the drivers you need into it. A nuisance, but not terribly difficult, and worth the effort
    > if one has more than one or two machines to do, or one really just doesn't have an available floppy.

    I dont understand why my SATA drives were not treated as generic
    IDE ? I thought that the SATA interface is suppose to be the same as
    the PATA interface ?

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, May 27, 2005
  17. No, it's a different interface. And in many cases, SATA support on a
    motherboard is a byproduct of a RAID controller. For example, on my ASUS A8V
    motherboard, I can attach SATA drives to either of two sets of connectors --
    one set is controlled by the VIA RAID controller, the other set by the
    Promise RAID controller. In both cases, I need a driver that knows how to
    communicate with and control that RAID controller. So I need an F6 disk to do
    it, and the VIA drivers were available before the Promise ones, so that's
    where the SATA drive is connected.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005