Settings gone!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
    have lost most of my settings.

    My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
    to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
    Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
    I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
    lose them!

    I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
    on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
    Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
    me....

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Mark Shaw
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new

    Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Mark Shaw wrote:
    > During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
    > have lost most of my settings.
    >
    > My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
    > to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
    > Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
    > I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
    > lose them!
    >
    > I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
    > on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
    > Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
    > me....
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Go into the mail subfolder, and look in the account folder. There is a
    file named Inbox, without extension. It is a text file, so you can open
    it with a text editor. See if the mail is actually in there. If so it
    can be recovered.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > Mark Shaw wrote:
    > > During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
    > > have lost most of my settings.
    > >
    > > My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
    > > to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
    > > Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
    > > I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
    > > lose them!
    > >
    > > I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
    > > on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
    > > Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
    > > me....
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.

    > Go into the mail subfolder, and look in the account folder. There is a
    > file named Inbox, without extension. It is a text file, so you can open
    > it with a text editor. See if the mail is actually in there. If so it
    > can be recovered.

    I have an account folder for my work email (which I check via
    POP) with 'Inbox' in it. There is no account folder for my
    personal email, but there is a 'Local Folders' folder which
    appears to be okay.

    My personal email I check w/ IMAP. In my ImapMail folder,
    there is an account folder for my personal email - and in
    that folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and an INBOX.sbd
    folder.

    In the INBOX.sbd folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and yet
    another INBOX.sbd file.

    In that second INBOX.sbd there is a .msf file for my work
    email.

    Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Mark Shaw wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >> Mark Shaw wrote:
    >>> During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
    >>> have lost most of my settings.
    >>>
    >>> My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
    >>> to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
    >>> Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
    >>> I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
    >>> lose them!
    >>>
    >>> I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
    >>> on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
    >>> Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
    >>> me....
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.

    >> Go into the mail subfolder, and look in the account folder. There is a
    >> file named Inbox, without extension. It is a text file, so you can open
    >> it with a text editor. See if the mail is actually in there. If so it
    >> can be recovered.

    > I have an account folder for my work email (which I check via
    > POP) with 'Inbox' in it. There is no account folder for my
    > personal email, but there is a 'Local Folders' folder which
    > appears to be okay.
    >
    > My personal email I check w/ IMAP. In my ImapMail folder,
    > there is an account folder for my personal email - and in
    > that folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and an INBOX.sbd
    > folder.
    >
    > In the INBOX.sbd folder, there is an INBOX.msf file and yet
    > another INBOX.sbd file.
    >
    > In that second INBOX.sbd there is a .msf file for my work
    > email.

    Since Imap mail is stored on the server, there is no issue with
    recovering that, simply recreate the account.

    For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > Mark Shaw wrote:

    Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
    thanks.

    > For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

    Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

    --
    Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
    "All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks

    Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Mark Shaw wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >> Mark Shaw wrote:

    > Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
    > thanks.
    >
    >> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

    > Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

    Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
    Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
    Folders set of folders.

    Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
    each account.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > Mark Shaw wrote:
    > > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > >> Mark Shaw wrote:

    > > Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
    > > thanks.
    > >
    > >> For the POP account, are you using the Global Inbox feature?

    > > Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

    > Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
    > Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
    > Folders set of folders.

    > Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
    > each account.

    I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
    only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
    get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
    machine.

    Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Mark Shaw wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >> Mark Shaw wrote:
    >>> Yes, of course. I wasn't thinking. That's good news, anyway;
    >>> thanks.

    >>> Um. What's the Global Inbox Feature?

    >> Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
    >> Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
    >> Folders set of folders.

    >> Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
    >> each account.

    > I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
    > only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
    > get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
    > machine.

    Okay then, just recreate the accounts. If the POP messages are left on
    the server, the new version of the account should just download them again.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  9. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > >> Global Inbox stores all mail in a common set of folders, as Outlook
    > >> Express does. Accounts for which it is enabled store email in the Local
    > >> Folders set of folders.

    > >> Accounts for which it is disabled have a separate set of folders for
    > >> each account.

    > > I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
    > > only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
    > > get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
    > > machine.

    > Okay then, just recreate the accounts. If the POP messages are left on
    > the server, the new version of the account should just download them again.

    Do I need to do anything to preserve my local mail folders?

    Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005
  10. Mark Shaw

    WSP Guest

    Mark Shaw wrote:
    > During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
    > have lost most of my settings.
    >
    > My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
    > to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
    > Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
    > I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
    > lose them!
    >
    > I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
    > on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
    > Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
    > me....
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Just because your profile is there doesn't mean that Moz is using it.
    Have you tried Tools... Switch Profiles to ensure it is using your
    normal profile?
    Just a thought!
    WSP

    WSP, Nov 17, 2005
  11. WSP wrote:
    > Mark Shaw wrote:
    >> During a lockup-and-reset event, Mozilla (version 1.7) seems to
    >> have lost most of my settings.
    >>
    >> My bookmarks seem to be working, but my home page has been reset
    >> to http://www.mozilla.org/start. Most alarming, when I open the
    >> Mail & Newsgroups window, I get the "New Account Setup" window.
    >> I've got tons of email messages and folders, and I don't want to
    >> lose them!
    >>
    >> I don't want to poke at this too much before getting some advice
    >> on how to proceed. I can still see my default profile in the
    >> Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles folder, and it looks okay to
    >> me....
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > Just because your profile is there doesn't mean that Moz is using it.
    > Have you tried Tools... Switch Profiles to ensure it is using your
    > normal profile?
    > Just a thought!
    > WSP

    I had the same thought, but since his bookmarks are intact, that would
    seem to indicate it is using the old profile, and has just lost touch
    with the mail accounts. Its worth checking though.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  12. Mark Shaw wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure if it's set up that way or not. At any rate, I
    >>> only have one folder for the POP account, and since the messages
    >>> get left on the server I don't care if I lose them from this
    >>> machine.

    >> Okay then, just recreate the accounts. If the POP messages are left on
    >> the server, the new version of the account should just download them again.

    > Do I need to do anything to preserve my local mail folders?

    Okay, backup the entire profile folder before proceeding, so that you
    can back to the current status if things go awry.

    Close Mozilla completely, including Quick Launch. Delete the Mail
    subfolder entirely. Open Mozilla Mail. A new Mail folder will be
    created. Set up your POP account. A new set of folders will be create,
    the default set of Inbox, Drafts, Templates, etc. Do not download any
    mail, close Mozilla completely.

    Go to your backup profile folder, and open the mail subfolder. FInd the
    folder for the POP account, which should be named for the pop server.
    For example, for a gmail account the folder would be pop.gmail.com.

    Copy this folder, and paste it into the newly created mail folder,
    overwriting the one that is there.

    Open Mozilla Mail. You should find your old mail, sorted into your
    custom folders, as you had it before the crash.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > WSP wrote:

    > > Just because your profile is there doesn't mean that Moz is using it.
    > > Have you tried Tools... Switch Profiles to ensure it is using your
    > > normal profile?

    > I had the same thought, but since his bookmarks are intact, that would
    > seem to indicate it is using the old profile, and has just lost touch
    > with the mail accounts. Its worth checking though.

    I checked. The only available profile is 'default', and it seems
    to be using it.

    (In addition to losing the mail accounts, my home page has been
    reset. I assume that's no big deal.)

    Mark Shaw, Nov 17, 2005
  14. Mark Shaw wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >> WSP wrote:

    >>> Just because your profile is there doesn't mean that Moz is using it.
    >>> Have you tried Tools... Switch Profiles to ensure it is using your
    >>> normal profile?

    >> I had the same thought, but since his bookmarks are intact, that would
    >> seem to indicate it is using the old profile, and has just lost touch
    >> with the mail accounts. Its worth checking though.

    > I checked. The only available profile is 'default', and it seems
    > to be using it.
    >
    > (In addition to losing the mail accounts, my home page has been
    > reset. I assume that's no big deal.)

    Just reset the home page in Edi>>Preferences>>Navigator.

    It sounds to me like prefs.js got hosed. Take a look in your profile
    folder, is there by any chance a file called prefs.bak?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  15. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > It sounds to me like prefs.js got hosed. Take a look in your profile
    > folder, is there by any chance a file called prefs.bak?

    Yes, but it dates from a year ago. 19 Nov 2004, to be exact.
    I probably manually backed it up when I added an alternate
    identity and signature by editing prefs.js directly via the
    about:config URL.

    There's also a prefs-1.js from a few minutes after midnight
    last night / this morning, which is when things went haywire.
    It's 56 Kbytes in size.

    My prefs.js is only 2 Kbytes in size and has a timestamp only a
    couple of hours ago. Hmmm....

    The prefs-1.js has all my adblock stuff, it properly defines
    my home page, and it seems to have my mail account definitions
    correct. The prefs.js does not.

    Ha! That was it - I renamed prefs.js to prefs_new.js, and
    prefs-1.js to prefs.js. Started Mozilla. Opened the Mail &
    Newsgroups window. Everything seems fine.

    Thanks very much for all the help.

    --
    Mark Shaw
    "Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@