Settings for a rock concert

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dulcey, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. Dulcey

    Dulcey Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    I purchased my first digital camera a few months ago and I've really
    enjoyed learning how to take decent pictures. I've learned a lot from you
    guys. Thank You. Now that I've buttered you all up, here's my question.

    I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
    my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
    should use to get the best shots.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dulcey

    --
    Remember all you love
    On Earth and not on Earth
    Dulcey, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Dulcey

    Dave B. Guest

    Use of flash my be not allowed so I would suggest cranking up the ISO speed.
    Timing may make a difference - wait until stage lighting is at it's
    brightest.
    Lean against something for stability.
    And something I do quite often - take 2 shots at a time - the 2nd shot is
    often sharpen than the 1st (less shake)

    RAW files may enable you to correct any lighting problems afterwards.

    Dave

    www.xsync.co.uk

    Dave B., Dec 28, 2003

  3. Dulcey

    GovtLawyer Guest

    >I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
    >my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
    >should use to get the best shots.

    If you can use a flash, great. Whether or not you do, I would try and shoot in
    Spot Metering mode. Often, the action you want to capture is in a spotlight,
    with huge areas of dark around it. The camera will interpret the whole scene,
    sense it as a dark scene needing a long exposure, and you'll end up with either
    an overexposed photo or a blurry one. If you use the Spot Metering, the camera
    will take an exposure reading from the center spot, which will be focused on
    the action you want, and will expose for that; which is what you want. Hope
    this is helpful.
    GovtLawyer, Dec 28, 2003
  4. The other respondants offered some great advise. In addition, I
    generally use Manual mode, ISO cranked up 800 or 1600, aperature nearly
    wide open f/1.8-4, and shutter speed between 1/50-1/125. I make changes
    as needed based on light available in the club, but these are my
    starting points. See some samples here
    <http://home.comcast.net/%7Ethomasgarner2/>. Hope this helps. Post some
    samples if possible.
    Tom

    Thomas Garner, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Dulcey

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/28/03 8:10 AM, in article mvBHb.482963$Dw6.1413153@attbi_s02, "Dulcey"
    <dustyandjay*no spam*@mchsi.com> wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I purchased my first digital camera a few months ago and I've really
    > enjoyed learning how to take decent pictures. I've learned a lot from you
    > guys. Thank You. Now that I've buttered you all up, here's my question.
    >
    > I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
    > my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
    > should use to get the best shots.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dulcey

    Forget it unless you are in the first ten rows in front of the stage. Also
    the built in flash is pretty much worthless after 10-12 feet. Most likely
    will get you busted by the "Staff Nazis"...

    George Kerby, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Dulcey

    ratt Guest

    >I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
    >my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
    >should use to get the best shots.

    Careful here. Depending on the venue, cameras may not be allowed and
    could be confiscated. It often says 'no cameras' on the tickets. If
    not, I would call ahead just to be sure.
    ratt, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Dulcey

    Dulcey Guest

    "ratt" <> wrote in message

    > >I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to

    sneak
    > >my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
    > >should use to get the best shots.

    > Careful here. Depending on the venue, cameras may not be allowed and
    > could be confiscated. It often says 'no cameras' on the tickets. If
    > not, I would call ahead just to be sure.

    I've been to about 20 concerts just in the past few years. They always say
    "no cameras" on the tickets. I have my methods of getting a camera in the
    venues. They tend to search women a little less than men. Plus, they don't
    enforce that rule too much. They are more worried about drugs and weapons
    getting in than a camera.
    Thanks for the heads-up though.

    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    Dulcey
    Dulcey, Dec 29, 2003
  8. Dulcey

    EarGuy Guest

    "ratt" <> wrote in message

    > >I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to

    sneak
    > >my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
    > >should use to get the best shots.

    > Careful here. Depending on the venue, cameras may not be allowed and
    > could be confiscated. It often says 'no cameras' on the tickets. If
    > not, I would call ahead just to be sure.

    Point and shoot cameras are usually no big deal. Although Celine Dion in
    Las Vegas confiscated every single disposable, digital, P&S, you name it,
    and yo could claim it after the show with a claim check. Most of the time
    it's not a problem.

    But become familiar enough with your camera that you can disable the flash,
    etc. If possible, set your camera for low light (400 speed, etc) and keep
    the shutter fast enough to reasonably stop camera shake. Some cameras don't
    have such manual settings, your mileage may vary!

    Have fun!

    Dave
    EarGuy, Dec 29, 2003