    Thanks
    --
    happydays

    =?Utf-8?B?cGF1bA==?=, Sep 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGF1bA==?=

    Malke Guest

    paul wrote:

    > I have two windws XP computers both with wireless cards accessing a
    > router for internet. One computer has a USB printer connected. I want
    > to be able to print to this from the other unattached computer. When
    > searching the internet to find tips about how I do this I'm being told
    > I need some form of network interface card. What is this and is it
    > necessary for wireless networking, or are the wireless cards enough?
    > Please explain in fairly simple terminology. Thanks

    If both your computers are already accessing the Internet wirelessly,
    you do not need a "interface card". All you need to do is set up your
    local area network (lan) for file/printer sharing. When you get that
    set up, to do the printer you may need to install the printer on the
    second computer (the one that doesn't have the printer connected
    locally). It depends on the printer. HP all-in-ones usually need you to
    run the install from the cd on each client machine instead of using the
    Add Printer wizard in Control Panel. Refer to your printer manual for
    details.

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers