    laptop, allowing him to keep the static info in place, but still be able to
    connect to DHCP services w/out having to reconfigure?
    Wes

    =?Utf-8?B?V1NuaXBlcw==?=, May 26, 2006

  2. If the client machines are running XP and there is no DHCP server on the
    network, configure the clients to obtain an IP address automatically. Then
    use the Alternate configuraation tab to set the static IPs:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283676/en-us

    The result is that whenever the machine cannot reach a DHCP server it will
    use the static IP - if a DHCP server is present, the machine will get a
    dynamic IP.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "WSnipes" <> wrote in message
    > I set up a WDS based network for my friends company, containing 4

    wired
    > clients and 3 wireless clients. I have set up the network with static
    > addresses in the range of 172.20.4.X, and my subnet is .128. the network

    is
    > running fine, but when his boss needs to leave town and use a wireless
    > connection in a hotel or airport (usually all configured to DHCP in the

    range
    > of 192.168.1.X, or 0.x), he has to go into the network properties and set
    > everything for auto assign, then put the static back in when he gets home.
    > Due to security and router problems, i would like to keep the static
    > addressing in place, but is there anyway i can make a profile for the

    boss's

    Doug Sherman [MVP], May 26, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?V1NuaXBlcw==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, May 26, 2006
  4. Re: Setting up WDS network with Static, but still need DHCP on cli

    Thank you to both Doug and Jack, i knew there was a way to do it, just
    couldn't remember for the life of me, thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?V1NuaXBlcw==?=, May 26, 2006