setting up the W2K server

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Andy, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    hi,

    I have a pc running on winXP home edition and intend to
    install w2k server into this machine but in different
    partition (E:) so that i will have dual boot system.

    I was prompted with message that the disk in not set
    correctly and request me to reformat this partition. After
    take almost 24 hrs to format the disk which is only 5GB
    and ended with error message again. This time the error
    message saying disk can't be formatted properly.

    I simply don't understand why the format process take so
    long and initially i have formatted the drive E with Disk
    Management tool from XP and find no error at all.

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks!
    Andy

    Andy, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Andy

    AT Guest

    Your HD is probably giving up on you! The reason for the slow format is in
    that case that it tries to recover all bad sectors it find during the
    formatting, and that takes time.
    Make a scandisk or use a special program from the disk vendor to be certain
    about what is wrong.
    If you have any bad sectors after the format..Get a new HD

    AT

    AT, Dec 1, 2003