    It shows up unsecure. How can I setup yhe SSID and password to make it
    secure. I use Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    Thanks.
    Joseph, Jul 4, 2009

  2. Joseph

    Lem Guest

    Airman wrote:
    > Joseph wrote:
    >> I have set up my network. The wired network is working. The wireless
    >> network is also working but I have not setup SSID and/password to
    >> protect it from outsiders.
    >> It shows up unsecure. How can I setup yhe SSID and password to make it
    >> secure. I use Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    >> Thanks.

    > Check here:
    > http://www.ezinstructions.com/wrt54gsetup.html

    Those are good instructions, but a bit outdated as far as security is
    concerned. If you have a recent model WRT54G *and* a relatively recent
    wireless adapter in your computer, you should set the security
    mode/encryption algorithm to WPA2-Personal and AES (steps 11 & 12). If
    *all* of your equipment (router and computers) can't handle WPA2, try
    WPA-Personal with AES.

    Unless you have *very* old hardware, you should not have to use WEP. If
    you think your hardware only supports WEP, you should update your hardware.

    See the User Guide of your router (under the topic Wireless Security)
    for more details.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago this month:
    Lem, Jul 4, 2009

  3. Joseph

    Jack [MVP] Guest

    Hi
    Following Lem's advice.
    If your model is old you can flash it with this free 3rd party firmware. The
    result would be a Wireless Router that is better than most newer Router.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    There instructions on this site concerning the setting as well.
    As For Security.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.